finished 12th at RTTH'S 8

-

wracks71

Reaction score
i am very pleased to announce that our RMS equipped duster finished 12 th at Run Through The Hills 8 in pigeon forge last weekend! keep in mind that the suspension was just installed 3 weeks ago,no tuning,and the first time racing it! we managed the top 16 saturday and managed a 12th position sunday. in the past,i would have been in the 28-35th position range. bill's stuff really works! check out the video link for the speed stop challenge. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzOOHmhrWzs&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

autocross:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKL0vpRYVts&feature=youtu.be"]YouTube[/ame]

Man this is a really cool thing that your doing with your duster.The fact that your placing so well with a old car id just sweet lets see how many other 40 years old cars did this well .
Congrats.........Arco440

sweet run....i wonder how that camaro that came in on the video @ the 50 second mark) did as well. it appears to me those chevys in the last portion of the video, (the nova and the chevelle) handled really well, and seems to have less body roll coming out of those first 2 turns in the run than your RMS equipped duster. im not dissing or talking bad about your car in any way..im simply curios and just going off by "looks" from what i can see. i noticed you mentioned you havent had a chance to tune the suspension yet, which is still very impressive watching it..and im sure youll be getting quicker and quicker with the RMS stuff! :)

sweet run....i wonder how that camaro that came in on the video @ the 50 second mark) did as well. it appears to me those chevys in the last portion of the video, (the nova and the chevelle) handled really well, and seems to have less body roll coming out of those first 2 turns in the run than your RMS equipped duster. im not dissing or talking bad about your car in any way..im simply curios and just going off by "looks" from what i can see. i noticed you mentioned you havent had a chance to tune the suspension yet, which is still very impressive watching it..and im sure youll be getting quicker and quicker with the RMS stuff! :)

the blue camaro is one of the DSE test cars. the gray nova is billy uttley,badass car and hard to keep up with, i smoked the red chevelle. he's running an all aluminum BBC and i kicked his *** on the speed stop. looks are deceiving. billy's nova looks like a dish rag on the course,but runs up with the DSE cars. almost every car but mine and the red stang are around 60,000+ dollar cars in the top 16,so i feel pretty good about it. EFI,18's plus wider fronts and some tuning and the times will be lower.

That's awesome man! I'm curious to see how the car does in the future. With everything in the world being a bolt on or simple mod for the Camaros and Chevelles it's fairly easy to make a cheap GM vehicle that does well in the autocross. I'm glad to see you running with them. I've always heard good things about the RMS stuff but never heard of anyone actually pounding on it like you're doing. I think your car is the perfect testament to prove that the stuff actually works. You knew where the car would place with the old setup and to improve that much by basically bolting in a new suspension is killer. Glad to hear it's doing well and I'll definitely be looking for updates.

That's awesome man! I'm curious to see how the car does in the future. With everything in the world being a bolt on or simple mod for the Camaros and Chevelles it's fairly easy to make a cheap GM vehicle that does well in the autocross. I'm glad to see you running with them. I've always heard good things about the RMS stuff but never heard of anyone actually pounding on it like you're doing. I think your car is the perfect testament to prove that the stuff actually works. You knew where the car would place with the old setup and to improve that much by basically bolting in a new suspension is killer. Glad to hear it's doing well and I'll definitely be looking for updates.

But those top finishing GM "cars" mentioned are NOT CHEAP. And do not have bolt on parts. They are basically a custom chassis kit car with a GM body hung over them. Actually a GM bare body frame with aftermarket body panels that are lighter than stock.

But those top finishing GM "cars" mentioned are NOT CHEAP. And do not have bolt on parts. They are basically a custom chassis kit car with a GM body hung over them. Actually a GM bare body frame with aftermarket body panels that are lighter than stock.

Mmmmm that's not totally true. nothing there had a chassis,but the upper cars were either DSE equipped or Ridetech cars. they are as you mentioned very high dollar cars if you went to build one.

thanks for the kind works and encouragement! so far bill reilly and i are on track with what we intended to do when getting together on this,chasing DSE. and showing people that cars other than camaro's can be fast and turn!

Mmmmm that's not totally true. nothing there had a chassis,but the upper cars were either DSE equipped or Ridetech cars. they are as you mentioned very high dollar cars if you went to build one.

Ok, I see what you mean by full chassis. You're talking about a full Swartz type chassis, I assume?

To make more clear, I just meant most top cars don't have any stock suspension chassis points, suspension types. I'm pretty sure the DSE cars have a completely fabbed front sub frame. So maybe not a full frame, but half of one. And the rear is 100% fabbed too and it's connected by fabbed frame connectors. Essentially making it a full frame.

To make more clear, I just meant most top cars don't have any stock suspension chassis points, suspension types. I'm pretty sure the DSE cars have a completely fabbed front sub frame. So maybe not a full frame, but half of one. And the rear is 100% fabbed too and it's connected by fabbed frame connectors. Essentially making it a full frame.

I sure don't disagree with you one bit. A lot of the super fast GM cars are running fully fabbed C6 Corvette front subframes and a 4 link rear with frame connectors and a full cage. The biggest advantage in my opinion is the GM cars do have the option to run coilovers and tubular upper and lower control arms with a stock subframe and pickup points. This is where my cheap statement came in. You can put upper and lower control arms, a bolt in 4 tubular 4 link, and a full set of coilovers under a GM for around $3500 using the stock sub and pick up points. I could be totally wrong here but I would think that a car equipped with this kind of setup would run competitively next to a Mopar with the Alterkation and Street Lynx setups that cost twice as much to run. The only real advantage I see with the Alterkation is the addition of rack and pinion but with the advances in gearbox technology I think they could still be competitive.

I sure don't disagree with you one bit. A lot of the super fast GM cars are running fully fabbed C6 Corvette front subframes and a 4 link rear with frame connectors and a full cage. The biggest advantage in my opinion is the GM cars do have the option to run coilovers and tubular upper and lower control arms with a stock subframe and pickup points. This is where my cheap statement came in. You can put upper and lower control arms, a bolt in 4 tubular 4 link, and a full set of coilovers under a GM for around $3500 using the stock sub and pick up points. I could be totally wrong here but I would think that a car equipped with this kind of setup would run competitively next to a Mopar with the Alterkation and Street Lynx setups that cost twice as much to run. The only real advantage I see with the Alterkation is the addition of rack and pinion but with the advances in gearbox technology I think they could still be competitive.

the DSE front is a hydro-formed piece with i think corvette spindles and such. their rear quadralink is quit a bit more expensive than the street lynx kit. i have been watching and running with DSE cars for better than three years now. they make some top notch parts,and they work. i think with some more HP,tuning the suspension,and me getting used to driving the car,i can keep up.

the blue camaro is one of the DSE test cars. the gray nova is billy uttley,badass car and hard to keep up with, i smoked the red chevelle. he's running an all aluminum BBC and i kicked his *** on the speed stop. looks are deceiving. billy's nova looks like a dish rag on the course,but runs up with the DSE cars. almost every car but mine and the red stang are around 60,000+ dollar cars in the top 16,so i feel pretty good about it. EFI,18's plus wider fronts and some tuning and the times will be lower.

the DSE front is a hydro-formed piece with i think corvette spindles and such. their rear quadralink is quit a bit more expensive than the street lynx kit. i have been watching and running with DSE cars for better than three years now. they make some top notch parts,and they work. i think with some more HP,tuning the suspension,and me getting used to driving the car,i can keep up.

Well thats great news! I am glad you will be able to keep up with the DSE cars using the RMS equipment. Something I have been waiting to see for a while. I've had the RMS front and rear system in my 70 Dart but NEVER drove it because the car is still in the building stage. :)

I think it's awesome you did so well and it's good to finally see some performance out of RMS stuff. I've heard for too many years how great it is but have never seen the evidence. Nice to see that finally.

It always interests me to see people comparing parts available for GM vs. Mopar. DSE has done nothing more than RMS; redesign suspensions using parts they felt were best for the application. In this case, C6 spindles; shoot RMS could have used C6 spindles to improve his geometry design, but chose not to. Geometry and other components are their own proprietary design, as is RMS. They use a hydro-formed subframe because GM (in my opinion) was smart enough to use a removable sub-frame whereas Chrysler welded their sub to the car and used a removable k-frame. DSE stuff is expensive but they have arguably more R&D in their stuff than any body else out there (and that sub is a big expensive piece). You pay for that, and what you get is an amazing setup that does what they say it will do, no heresay or guesses, no street guys saying it will perform. DSE has test cars for a reason. Those $60,000+ cars are not simply cars that were good bodies, then suspension added. Those were mostly ground up builds with top of the line everything. $60,000+ build doesn't equal fast, with those builds it means VERY, VERY nice (generally), and fast. I have followed a lot of those builds and yes, expensive builds, but not just because of suspension. When I priced my build using RMS, way back, my estimates were $55k because of everything, not just suspension, but engine/trans, rear, brakes, wheels/tires, interior, custom this/that.

Not trying to take away from your performance Wracks, I just don't think it's right to compare performance based on $$$ into the build when most here have no idea how those $$$ were spent. Doing that well against those cars is great, but doing that well against those DRIVERS is even better. To me, that's where you're doing real well. Sure, the RMS seems to have helped and I'm sure as you get things tuned (shocks and sway bar especially), you'll get better and faster. The drivers in the top are very good drivers. Yes, $$$ builds, but great drivers. Good job of driving Wracks!

I think it's awesome you did so well and it's good to finally see some performance out of RMS stuff. I've heard for too many years how great it is but have never seen the evidence. Nice to see that finally.

It always interests me to see people comparing parts available for GM vs. Mopar. DSE has done nothing more than RMS; redesign suspensions using parts they felt were best for the application. In this case, C6 spindles; shoot RMS could have used C6 spindles to improve his geometry design, but chose not to. Geometry and other components are their own proprietary design, as is RMS. They use a hydro-formed subframe because GM (in my opinion) was smart enough to use a removable sub-frame whereas Chrysler welded their sub to the car and used a removable k-frame. DSE stuff is expensive but they have arguably more R&D in their stuff than any body else out there (and that sub is a big expensive piece). You pay for that, and what you get is an amazing setup that does what they say it will do, no heresay or guesses, no street guys saying it will perform. DSE has test cars for a reason. Those $60,000+ cars are not simply cars that were good bodies, then suspension added. Those were mostly ground up builds with top of the line everything. $60,000+ build doesn't equal fast, with those builds it means VERY, VERY nice (generally), and fast. I have followed a lot of those builds and yes, expensive builds, but not just because of suspension. When I priced my build using RMS, way back, my estimates were $55k because of everything, not just suspension, but engine/trans, rear, brakes, wheels/tires, interior, custom this/that.

Not trying to take away from your performance Wracks, I just don't think it's right to compare performance based on $$$ into the build when most here have no idea how those $$$ were spent. Doing that well against those cars is great, but doing that well against those DRIVERS is even better. To me, that's where you're doing real well. Sure, the RMS seems to have helped and I'm sure as you get things tuned (shocks and sway bar especially), you'll get better and faster. The drivers in the top are very good drivers. Yes, $$$ builds, but great drivers. Good job of driving Wracks!

i agree with you will. and thanks! kyle tucker rode three laps with me on friday during the autocross school. i wasn't going to go,but some buddies went and i wanted to get some runs in with the car. i was surprised when kyle told me "he didn't know what to tell me about my driving,i hit everything right". he is a hell of a driver,so that meant alot coming from him.
i saw first hand about the the money-to-driver thing when i was rockcrawling with jeeps for the past 22 years. money can't buy driving time/experience.

-
Back