Finished! Brutal 'Cuda

-
OK heres a car related update, swapped out the crash box gears to install street gears (sorry there gone to another member). First time to open up an 833, it's not too bad. Thinking of powder coating the case but that seems crazy since I won't be PCing the engine block. It's hard to define the line from building a nice car to a trailer queen. Once you start making stuff nice , well then maybe this should be nice too. Before you know it the whole car is dipped in gold or whatever....

Attachments

• IMG_5476.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,384
... Once you start making stuff nice , well then maybe this should be nice too. Before you know it the whole car is dipped in gold or whatever....

Oh God Nate, you are so right! Mission creep, "While I'm Here Disease," it's all the same. I suffer from it myself ... 22 years of Slimer-ness and it's still not done. But it's getting there. :-D

Once you start making stuff nice , well then maybe this should be nice too. Before you know it the whole car is dipped in gold or whatever....

YEAH... This made me laugh out loud. I bought a few grade 8 bolts 'cause I lost my trans member bolts... then I looked around under the car, I HAD to get more bolts...

It gets expensive fast. the worst part is you cant turn back once it starts, I am already a long ways into my "redo later" list sadly.

Great work, keep it up, the basement looks awesome too. It always feels good to complete a project, I bet you will enjoy it. I lost the month of March to a new bathroom...

JOE

Had plans to get some work done but an elderly aunt parked her Subaru on our porch, so had to fix the house (there was more structural damage and hidden rot) Then the Insurance money we got paid led to a house makeover/new roof. I am currently working on getting the air compressor setup and rewiring the garage.... Hey at least I haven't completely stopped, just regrouping.

Attachments

• IMG_6437.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,244
  • IMG_6438.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,216
  • IMG_7870.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 1,153
  • IMG_7874.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 1,212
At least she appears to have missed the cars. My brother had an older gentleman lose control of his car and hit his porch. In the process he destroyed my brother's work truck and his 5.0 Mustang convertible. I think he got $2,500. for both the truck and the car. He did not have collector car insurance on the convertible.

Joe

At least she appears to have missed the cars. My brother had an older gentleman lose control of his car and hit his porch. In the process he destroyed my brother's work truck and his 5.0 Mustang convertible. I think he got $2,500. for both the truck and the car. He did not have collector car insurance on the convertible.

Joe

That is why you keep every receipt, my bike was total loss by fire a few years ago.
Insurance low-balled me with a $1500.00 offer.
I produced receipts for over $5000.00 in mainenance and add on aftermarket equipment.
Got $3850, they paid 100% if the aftermarket part was under 1 year old and 80% for an aftermarket part if it was over a year old.

Actually she hit a mini van and a new Toyota truck, we were having a family event. Both were mild repairs but the more she panicked, the more she pushed on the gas. If her car wouldn't have got hung up she would have continued right off the porch into the yard below.:eek:ops:

So... back to the Barracuda. Figured progress is progress (while I work on garage wiring) so I repainted the rally dash with SEM black and ordered the carbon overlay from e-bay. I used a silver paint pen for the lettering. I like the custom aluminum dashes but thought I would try this first.

nates68

View attachment IMG_6625.JPG

View attachment IMG_6626.JPG

wow thats crazy!! glad to see that no one was hurt... that all could've gone way more sideways than it did... and I love the dash face!

Wow....great thread! I'm subscribed! You've made great progress since you started. Keep at it, you'll get there. I'm going through the same crap with 'mission creep' right now and trying to stay focused.

I'm getting antsy to get back on it. We got Forza 4 for our x-box and it's been fun playing with colors and stuff. I do love a black car. It will move ahead, just need motivation at times!

Nates68

Just an update to show I have not completely stopped progress. Had to install some new breakers for the compressor and lights/fan, etc...(a 40 amp 240, and a couple of 120/20 amp. and run conduit, wire, plugs.. are we done yet? Finally got the compressor installed behind the garage and it works great, comes up to pressure fast and is pretty quiet. It's a 2 stage 240v true 5hp.
Also got the tube-axial fan installed and made the ducting and filter setup. It moves a lot of air. I plan on building a 2x4 booth and using plastic sheeting. I will have filters top back to give a downdraft flow (ok it will be crossdraft a bit too).
Picked up a DeVilbiss plus gun as well. All this to get to painting the car! It will happen:supz: Pretty sure it's gonna be black, thinking of using Southern Polyeurethane single stage, for many reasons that could go on and on.

Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_9257.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 993
  • IMG_9262.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 941
  • IMG_9263.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_9264.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 975
OK heres a car related update, swapped out the crash box gears to install street gears (sorry there gone to another member). First time to open up an 833, it's not too bad. Thinking of powder coating the case but that seems crazy since I won't be PCing the engine block. It's hard to define the line from building a nice car to a trailer queen. Once you start making stuff nice , well then maybe this should be nice too. Before you know it the whole car is dipped in gold or whatever....

So true....but you can't blame yourself because you want to do it right. Sadly if you put one shitty or half *** finished part on that car you will notice it like a turd in a punch bowl.

Nice work by the way....looking great.

My vote is for a light color against the dark trim.

Mop

Looks like you are really coming along! Just caught up on this thread and can't wait to see how it turns out. Love all the Cuda styles and years.

I hear ya' Momoparman. Probably the reason why the car is not done yet because I just can't do it halfway. I do plan on driving the car though so it's gotta get done! Always liked your color choice btw.

Nates68

Don't worry. Build the nicest car your capable of building then drive it....it only hurts the first time you get a chip....after that who cares.

I constantly abandon my car at shows....I leave the thing sitting there unattended all day while I am god knows where. I never look it over when I get back and I never have. I drive it on country roads and up and down my shitty gravel driveway all the time.

I'm know there are many flaws now but I could care a less. I love it and it still looks great from behind the wheel or flying down the highway.

Build on and detail away...you have come to far and your car will be awesome when you get it finished.....whenever you get it finished.

Mop

Hey Folks,
been block sanding, fixing small problem areas, re-priming, block sanding, repeat process. It's getting old (my back and hands are hurting as I type) but most of the panels are almost perfect! They say you will know when you are ready for paint and it's getting close. Not much picture worthy right now but soon.

Now I know why a good paint job costs so much, the prep is a pain.

Nates68

Just read the whole thread....Nice work. I will add this to my list of builds to follow and give me inspiration to forge ahead on my Dart.

-
Back