Finished! Brutal 'Cuda

-
Heres the underside pic.

Also here's some more powdercoated goodies, did the hood trim in wrinkle black since the chrome was so pitted it made the smooth powder look bad. I like the unintended change.
Also did the shifter in matte black and turned a chunk of billet alum. into a shift knob on the lathe at work (what else is work good for?)

I'm on a powder coating roll, more to come!

Also, will be fabbing up some carbon fiber parts, although it seems moot since I'm running an all steel body.

Lastly, here's a pic of the quarter panel I blocked out. It looked straight, until I hit it with the longboard! Looks like more high build primer and sanding until it's straight:wack:

Attachments

• DSC07519.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,655
  • DSC07523.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,675
  • DSC07524.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,608
  • DSC07520.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,638
Looks like it is going to be a great car when you are done. I also like the deck spoiler you put on it.

I saw on the previous page that you replaced the bottom in your spare tire well. I will be attempting the same task in the near future. Interested in sharing the procedure that you used and any usefule lessons, if you had to do it all over again? Love the build and keep it up, you're doing nice work! Thanks. L8r

You have a funny definition of "lots" of rust haha! :D Fantastic work so far, you do bodywork for a living? Loving the look the duck tail gives it.

Thanks for all the kudos guys!

OK, on the tire well. I cut it out with a metal blade on a sawzall. But before you do that make a precise mark of where to cut. For me it was easiest to cut at the apex of the turn from where the bottom of the well goes into the sides. I had to trim the replacement piece to match the peice I cut out (lay them onto each other).
I wanted to butt weld the pieces together so it was test fit, grind the edges a bit, repeat. You just don't want the new piece to be higher or lower so take it easy. Then weld it up and grind it smooth. I put some 3m seam sealer on the inside, but I am going to be upholstering the entire trunk section and using a small 'donut' spare.
Not a bodyman, just like to tackle what I can.

Hey Nate, would you mind posting up a few close up pics of that hood insert when you get the chance? I'm just curious to see how it turned out up close.

More progress, Taking a break from bodywork just to mix it up.

Decided to tackle the dash, it was actually pretty ratty. I used Rust-oleum textured black since this is not supposed to be a 'correct' resto. It turned out real good, but I did find it a bit hard to get the overall texture consistent. Had to fog the paint from farther away to get more texture. Still need to do the column, but considering a tilt column so maybe not.

Also upholstered the lower dash pad to match the top. Now just need to do the drivers side corner piece.

Hers a few more powdercoated parts: rear view mirror bracket, trunk emblem fish (I like the menacing look the black gave it, like its lurking in the weeds waiting to strike.)

Attachments

• IMG_4296.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,536
  • IMG_4294.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,510
  • IMG_4327.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_4326.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 1,485
  • IMG_4325.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,504
  • IMG_4324.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,482
  • IMG_4323.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,516
  • DSC07531.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 1,513
  • DSC07530.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,543
Leanna,
The hood insert started out as matte black PC but the pitting chrome made it look bad. I ended up bead blasting the powder to make it rough and painted it with VHT wrinkle finish, and baked that on low heat. We will see how durable it is in time. We powder coat stuff at my work but have limited colors, etc...
I could have ordered it in but....

I will get a close up in a few days.

Leanna,
The hood insert started out as matte black PC but the pitting chrome made it look bad. I ended up bead blasting the powder to make it rough and painted it with VHT wrinkle finish, and baked that on low heat. We will see how durable it is in time. We powder coat stuff at my work but have limited colors, etc...
I could have ordered it in but....

I will get a close up in a few days.

No worries Nate! If it's not coated now don't worry about the close ups. Trust me, I've seen and blasted off plenty of VHT in my day. :-D

nice car bro...your doin n awesome job..cant wait to see that done:cheers:

Love the ducktail,mild custom bodywork at it's best.Love Pure Vision's work,way underrated.

After reading a few of the posts about the rust I guess I should give all the details, heres what was bad:

-both front fenders behind wheels from lower body line down, rotten on the inside support as well. Had to get donor inners and reweld it all back together.
-drivers door was rusty and dented beyond repair, found local replacement door.
-c-pillar seam from roof to pillar was rotted, melted lead out and welded patch in. Used dura-glass to blend.
-drivers floor was not too bad but had some small pinholes. Patched up bad stuff, POR15 the rest.
-both quarters were rotten at the bottom in front and behind rear wheels. Cut and reweld.
-drivers rocker was bad back by the quarter rust, cut and weld new metal.
-trunk deck lid was rotted out lower seam, got local replacement with the door.
-Spare tire well, fixed with donor piece.
-Misc. rusty blisters here and there, either reweld patch or POR if solid enough.

Now I know there are some Midwest cars that are MUCH worse, however I didn't even know how to weld when I first got the car so I was overwhemed at first. It has been a great learning experience!

OK so I have been working on the bumpers. I bead blasted the back sides and welded up the bumper bolts, ground the heads flush, welded again, ground smooth. Now the bumpers will be really smooth with no bolt heads exposed. The chrome was bad so I sanded it all down with 80 and will be priming with DTM primer. I planned on painting them body color all along. Will post pics.:happy1:

really impressive how your doing on the barracuda....subscribed!! great Job!!!

-
Back