Finishing a restoration on a '66 Barracuda

-

DesertBarracuda

Reaction score
You can read my story in the New Members area, so I'll just dive right in. This car came with a stack of receipts showing a ton of stuff was done to the car. Now I'm going to finish it. Mechanically is has:
318 2bbl, 727, and a 3:23 Sure Grip rear from a 1973 Mopar something.
New suspension bushings and new brake lines, cylinders, 10" shoes and drums.
There are a bunch of little things that need to be done. Here is where I started.
The car would run for only about a minute, then it would sputter and stall. I also noticed the clear fuel filter would start to get bubbles in it. If it sat for a bit you could crank it and it would eventually fire up. All of the rubber lines up front were new, so I got underneath and found this.
IMG_3238.JPEG

The line from the sending unit to the main fuel line. Needless to say, that was the problem.
So now I could drive it more than 1/2 mile the next issue popped up: why don't I have full throttle, and why is it shifting funny?

Join me for the next episode of "De-kludging the Barracuda".

Old cars, expect the worse, hope for the bet.

So like I mentioned, I didn't have full throttle and the car was shifting funny. After one test drive, I noticed the kickdown linkage at the carb was stuck at half throw. I got under the car and found this...
InkedIMG_3283_LI.jpg

This is after I solved the problem. That's the kickdown lower bellcrank. Whoever put the dual exhaust on didn't take into account that the bellcrank actually moved! So what did they do to get more clearance?? Just smash the exhaust pipe. Thing is, the linkage STILL jammed up against the headpipe. I marked up what was happening. The dot area would swing down and jam against the circled area.
This is my temporary fix that will probably become permanent:

InkedIMG_3282_LI.jpg

I cut and narrowed the bellcrank. That gave it more than enough room. This might be a mod that some of you can make to get that little bit of extra clearance for headers, bigger headpipes, etc.

Next up: Get rid of the Camaro exhaust tips. In fact, replace the whole cobbled together exhaust!

-
Back