Fire sometimes and sometimes not ??????

-

tony frost

Reaction score
73 Dart swinger was slant 6 now 318. When I first put the 318 in it car would fire on first hit like clock work. Now 3 years later some times it will fire on first hit and some times you will crank and crank and crank before it will fire. Put new coil on it and its got power going to it and coming out. Open to any help Thanks.

If no spark, Intermittent failure could be the pick up in the dist' and could also be the ignition module, and maybe even the ignition switch.
So First, I prove my ignition switch is sending a full 12 volts to the ignition and coil while in the start position, during repeated cycles ( these can function intermittently also ). The coil can and does work on a lesser voltage in run but the engine wont cold start for chit on low voltage. A strong battery and fast spinning starter doesn't mean everything is good. The rest of the car operates on a different wire.
If the power supply is good, its supposed to work. If it don't work, both pick up and module are replaced.
I don't even try to determine which of these 2 components has the fault.

If it has the OE style distributor check the connector where the distributor plugs in and make sure they are getting a good contact.
I have two different cars that have had intermittent connections there and were a bear to start.

The OE ignition box can be tested by touching the bare terminal of the distributor plug on the harness side to ground with the key on. (you should get one spark from the coil per touch to ground)

Reluctor gap can also cause hard intermittent starting and that needs to be between .006 and .010 with a non magnetic feeler gauge.

Reluctor gap can also cause hard intermittent starting and that needs to be between .006 and .010 with a non magnetic feeler gauge.

And to add to this, have you checked the cap and rotor? It could be as simple as a corroded cap and rotor button.

thank you for the input, I was kinda leaning tward the reluctor gap, ignition module, and the pick up

-
Back