Firecore & Rev n nator combination

-

71duster06

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,
Im looking at upgrading my existing ignition system on my 340 4-speed. Currently its a standard points distributor with a Mallory electronic converson kit that replaced the points. I have been looking at the Firecore distributor along with the Rev n nator box. Has anyone used this combination and what are your thoughts? I have heard that vacuum advance is not recommended with the rev n nator too which would be a bit of a concern for me since this is primarily a street car with occasional track time.
Any help would be great (not looking at going to MSD etc)

Thanks
Kyle

Hey Kyle....just a thought. See link below. I had FBO stuff on my car all last season and it was fine. But I'm upgrading to Greg's HEI conversion this season. De-clutter the engine bay AND better performance. For $150 you get plug/play HEI at less cost that Rev-N-Ator OR Don's new box from FBO. If you want a more stock appearance than the Rev of FBO box may be for you...but I'm not.

www.classichei.com

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=204177&highlight=HEI

Hey I'm also gonna hit you up for more info on those Summit seats your putting in your Duster! I'm needing seats for mine and thinking about those as well.

Brian

I have used the FBO box on several occasions and found it to be extremely nice. Easy to use and made more power than a MSD 6 on the dyno. I have quite a few customers that have converted over from the MP orange box to the FBO and had a seat of the pants difference in performance. I highly recommend it.

here is my thought on the revnator.1 year ago i got one and my tach was all over the place.they said it was my coil.so i got the coil they recommended.same thing.they then said it must be in my wiring.tripple checked my wiring,all good.got frustrated and sent it back.called a few months ago to see if they got it figured out,yep we got it straightened out,they had had a few of the same issues with other people.great ill try it again.same thing erratic tach,only now the rev limiter selector button will not work,its stuck at the lowest setting.not much good over 5k.put my old chrome box back on and all is good.just my experience with it.

here is my thought on the revnator.1 year ago i got one and my tach was all over the place.they said it was my coil.so i got the coil they recommended.same thing.they then said it must be in my wiring.tripple checked my wiring,all good.got frustrated and sent it back.called a few months ago to see if they got it figured out,yep we got it straightened out,they had had a few of the same issues with other people.great ill try it again.same thing erratic tach,only now the rev limiter selector button will not work,its stuck at the lowest setting.not much good over 5k.put my old chrome box back on and all is good.just my experience with it.

I also had similar experience with the Rev-n-nator. Was told to try new coil, disconnect tach and shift light in an effort to find the problem. Not only was my tach bouncing around so was the ignition timing. I talked with them several times and was told there were some issues they were working through and that a new unit was in production. They also offered to send out a prototype for real world testing to see if their issues were resolved. Its been over 10 months and I still have not received the test unit they offered but they did refund my money promptly. The only reason I tried this unit over my old FBO box was for the rev limiter capability. I have replaced their product with my old FBO unit and all issues went away. Was hoping the new unit would have came so I could have given it a try, if it would have worked I would have gladly paid to have the rev feature. I will be going MSD next time around. They are extremely nice people to deal with it just didn't work out.

I have used the FBO box on several occasions and found it to be extremely nice. Easy to use and made more power than a MSD 6 on the dyno. I have quite a few customers that have converted over from the MP orange box to the FBO and had a seat of the pants difference in performance. I highly recommend it.

I can see it better than the orange box but what made it better than the MSD? how much HP better than the MSD? was everything the same temp, oil temp? was the A/F ratio the same on both pulls. i know when it just came out they were claiming ridiculous HP increase but never backed it up.

Thanks guys! It's good to hear the bad along with the good. Since it's a brand new engine I'm gonna run my orange box til I'm sure all the bugs are out, plus finish building the car and I think I'll give it a try at that point.

I can see it better than the orange box but what made it better than the MSD? how much HP better than the MSD? was everything the same temp, oil temp? was the A/F ratio the same on both pulls. i know when it just came out they were claiming ridiculous HP increase but never backed it up.

When I tested it, all 3 times, it was on an engine using a Stock recurved dist for the engine we were running. We had it hooked up to the MSD for all the pulls in the tuning phase. After we had the A/F and timing where it made the most average power, we unhooked the MSD and hooked up the FBO. This took less than 1 minute. Fired it up and made 3 back to back pulls, changing nothing. On all 3 engines it made a solid 10 HP/TQ across the entire rpm band over the MSD. one was a 340, one was a 408 and the other was a 440. SO Im quite confident with the performance of this box and was really impressed with the quality of the product.

I also have a customer that was running a stock orange box in a BBM, sold him one of these FBO boxes/coil setups and he reported back it started much easier, ran smoother at idle and had a real good kick in the pants for power. Now if you can really feel the power int he seat of your pants, we are not talking about 5-10HP, more like 20-25HP. Im sold on them, its a great part and I would not use it if it didnt work.

-
Back