firm feel idler

-
I think I bought a Moog like that, back in the late 70s. Nice idea, but I have power assisted steering, and the standard Moogs go, and go, and go...I can think of lots of better places to spend my money.

I just did the upgrade to my idler arm. I don't expect a major improvement with this change alone but I'm hopeful that it along with a Firm Feel 3 box and complete suspension rebuild will make things dramatically better overall.
My car is not ready for the road yet so I will have to wait and see how it all comes together.

I think I bought a Moog like that, back in the late 70s. Nice idea, but I have power assisted steering, and the standard Moogs go, and go, and go...I can think of lots of better places to spend my money.

I've worn out a couple Moog's. One was like 30,000 miles. Next only 10,000 miles. I'm not getting the life out of them that I used to. Not real impressed. I'm thinking of this bearing too.

I've had others that were for sure worse over the last 23 years. The ones with the plastic inserts suck. I think it was Sealed Power or TRW. Disregard the brand and just look if there is a bearing at the frame mount or a nylon insert. There's so much repackaged stuff out there is tough to keep track of what's what.

I'm curious where this has gone in the past few months.

Has anybody else tried this or do we have some results? I've worn out a couple idler arms up at the bushing at the K-member. They develop rocking slop that moves the end of the idler arm up and down so that the center link can travel up and down enough to allow the right front wheel to slightly turn independantly from the rest of the steering. This seems like it would prevent that wear on the pivot.

I've worn out a couple Moog's. One was like 30,000 miles. Next only 10,000 miles. I'm not getting the life out of them that I used to. Not real impressed. I'm thinking of this bearing too.

Somebody on here posted a photo and complaint about short life of Moog idlers I think a 440 A body. The guts are plastic. he was not real impressed, either.

Just put a warrantied Proforged from Summit on this afternoon. We'll see how it does. After doing a search and reading many threads, the up and down rocking floppage of the idler arms at the pivot seems to be a fairly common issue.

I did also. Great Idea. Still have mine from the 70's. Less friction and lasts forever.

Soft idler arm bushings are a lousy design on a spot where you don't want up/down movement at all.

A little time on a lathe and I replaced the crappy rubber bushing on this idler arm with a pair of nylon inserts.
No more up&down movements of the arm. Steering and wheel alignment is nice and tight but still smooth as can be.

IMG_0462.jpg

Soft idler arm bushings are a lousy design on a spot where you don't want up/down movement at all.

A little time on a lathe and I replaced the crappy rubber bushing on this idler arm with a pair of nylon inserts.
No more up&down movements of the arm. Steering and wheel alignment is nice and tight but still smooth as can be.

IMG_0462.jpg

What did you use for material and tooling?

Just some nylon roundstock I bought online locally.
Some eyeballin', measuring and after some trial-and-error I had a new bushing made up on the Lathe.

I tihnk brass could get dry and screech if not lubed occassionally.
Bronze would be a better option for a bearing material, but would wear down in time just as well.

-
Back