First and only pass on my new 408 today!

-

Guitar Jones

aka Angry Johnny
Reaction score
No tuning, 30 degrees timing, left at 2000 rpms on the foot brake. The converter is way too loose and now the trans is pissing fluid from the bell housing area. I think I cracked the converter hub.

Anyway it went 9.756 @ 134.67 with a 1.324 60 foot. 6.155 @ 110.34 in the 1/8.

I'm pleased with that, I know there is more in it.

that is relay great news glad your build is working out for you with thoughts kinda numbers you should be 650-700hp in that range when its tuned in.

Aside from the converter being loose and not tuning it You were happy? Congrats it still must of felt good.

Congrats with your first outing!Those are some nice times being un-tuned.Can you tell us abit about your build?

Awesome, you have to be happy with that start! Your Scamp is sweet, love that pic in your sig. Does it launch like that everytime? And like pettyblu said, details please. I've been copying your oiling mods on my block but I'm curious about everything else you don't mention in that thread. Thanks

Thanks guys. I'm going to pull the trans out today and see what's up.

The engine is a stock block, tall filled with HardBlock.
Eagle H beams, BPE crank, Wiseco pistons with 20cc dish including the valve reliefs. They are .006 out of the hole. .038 head gasket
51cc W5 heads with 2.08 intake 1.60 exhaust. Flow 320 @ .700
Crane solid roller, 276/284 at .050 with .698/.714 net lift with Harland Sharp 1.6 rockers. Manton series III 5/16 pushrods.
2" primary header, 4" collector, an M1 W5 tunnel ram with two Demon 750 TR carbs.

904 trans, 8.75 rear with 4.86 pro gear, 30 spline Moser axles and 14.5x32 tires.

Pulled the trans today, half of the converter hub is broken totally off and the other half is cracked in 3 places.

I talked to Paul Forte from Turbo Action yesterday at the track and he has some upgraded components for the 904 so I'll be sending the converter to him and machining the reaction shaft for the better hub. I know it's the weak link of the 904 and this isn't the first hub I've broken but it's been in the car for 15 years so I'm not complaining.

Great run. You'll get it right. Stick with it. Caint wait for more.

That was a great first run! I had my fish run yesterday for it's first passes with the 416 (495 crank HP) and it went 7.26 at 72 degrees air temp. Way more than the 340 had.

Congrats Steve! I know you'll be pleased with the results when it's all sorted out. Dan

GJ, I forgot to ask what kind of oil pressure you end up with, cold and hot, reved up and at idle? Will you be checking your lifter bores occasionally to see if you have any galling after the oil has be blocked off? If so please up date with what you see. Thanks.

Again nice job on the run, sorry about the converter situation.

Maybe you can come down when I get it back together or it's first passes may just be at SGMP. Maybe you can make it there, we'll have a few beers on me when the racing is done.

That sounds like a good time already. You talkin about this weekend? They got sumffin listed for the 19th.

GJ, I forgot to ask what kind of oil pressure you end up with, cold and hot, reved up and at idle? Will you be checking your lifter bores occasionally to see if you have any galling after the oil has be blocked off? If so please up date with what you see. Thanks.

Again nice job on the run, sorry about the converter situation.

Right now I have 70 cold at idle with 5w20 in it and right around 25 hot at idle.

I put 5w30 in it before I went out and it's a little more. The car was getting a little squirelly on the top end (probably due to the humongous amounts of ATF coming out of the converter) so I wasn't paying much attention to RPM or oil pressure.

As for checking the lifters, I doubt I will unless the intake has to come off for some reason, which it might as I may still have some valve seal problems. I'm not sure yet because I need to get some passes on the engine to make sure the rings are seated first and then I'll go from there. It still smokes some from the right side but I'm not sure if it's just residual in the header from the torn seal I had before or if I may have torn another one. There was quite a bit of oil in that header.

-
Back