First car 65 cuda

-

MonkeyTrev

Reaction score
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
My dad gave me a 65 barracuda that has been sitting in his yard for many years. It's the first car I am doing so I'm learning as I go. It's a commando model so it comes with the 273 commando that I'm going to pull out to drop a 360 in. It was on fire before my dad bought it. The car is really in pretty good shape. I put new carb, coil, spark plugs, and wires and it fired right up. I got it running and drove it up and down the road. Now it's time to really start getting into the car. I plan on pulling the rearend out and I have a 8 3/4 that I'm gonna put under it. I'm looking at upgrading to disk brakes on the front. My dad also has a 440 that he has given me and it's very tempting. Would love a big block a body.

welcome and looks like your about to have fun

Big blocks are a bear in an early A. I'd stick with the Commando or a 360. Really nice Barracuda!

Looks like that 273 fills up the engine bay pretty good. It'll get really crowded with a big-block in there, not to mention the decrease in handling with the extra weight up front.
As 66fs said, you'll be better off with a much more balance car if you stick with a small block. You can get plenty of power out of a 360.

Welcome aboard this great site, jump on in and enjoy

Welcome! Cool first project car. As mentioned before, a SB in an A-Body is a very good combination (performance, handling and weight). Also a 273c.i. can be fast:
img_20161128_wa0000-jpg.1715021488

If you are interested, here is a first gen Barracuda pics thread:
Pics of early Barracudas

Great start! Alot of the 'pricey trim' looks to be in nice shape...you owe your dad big time!!!

-
Back