First engine fire up!!!

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
well all wish me luck, going to fire up the old mopar for the 1st time for cam break in this Saturday.... hope it g:prayer::prayer::prayer:eek:es well, going to video tape it ..

Good luck...

Keep water and/or fire extinguisher handy JIC...

As soon as it fires up, make sure oil pressure is good, then get it running steady/stable...

Keep a close eye out for any oil or coolant leaks...

Watch temperature gage so it doesn't overheat...

Then break in the cam for 45 minutes at 2500 RPM...

Set total timing to 34° -36° while breaking in the cam...

It is normal for the fresh paint, spilled oil and anti freeze to burn off/smoke when you are running it for the first time, make sure it doesn't "flame up"...

Open garage door or pull outside for ventilation.

Once the cam is broken in, let it idle down and set the idle screws on the carb...

Good Luck, we're all counting on you...

[ame]https://youtu.be/aB2yqeD0Nus[/ame]

I have found no matter how careful building a engine, the first fire up is always scary! Im rootin for you!!

And most of the leaks are things that you forgot to go back and tighten.... :violent1:

best to prime oil with a 5/16" hex and a drill. have crank at 15* before tdc and install distrib with rotor pointing to #1 wire on the cap. have fuel in the carb. have a couple of helpers to look for problems. bring revs right up to 2500 and vary revs some for about 25 minutes. if there is a problem u can shut it down, and then restart it back up to 2500 rpm and finish cam break in, if u have roller lifters ignore most of this break in info

Best of luck. I broke my motor in about a month ago. Prime oil. Prime carb. Set timing with a known good distributor. Go back and double check the transmission line fittings! I didn't and got a nice anti rust coating over everything. Engine break in oil and use additives that the cam mfr specifies. Double check coolant fittings/hoses and that the radiator is filled.

thanks for the reminders already thought of it all. i'm using comp cams break in oil, also have been priming it, already have oil pressure, filled coolant no leak seen, filed though the intake before thermostat install, extra cam lube form comp squirted across cam just before intake installed @ week a go. will prime fuel 1st and then pray to god!!! been building engines for 20 years but like said 1st one is the scary one.

Make sure you have a known working carb too. We had this problem when KK and I fired mine up. When it was running I found water leaking at the intake nipple,trans line to rad and now still trying to track down the oil leak above my header. We also used 1 of those clear fuel filters so we know it's getting fuel.

WELL>>>>>> went to fire up.. and had no spark at plugs? pissing me off, found out some how the msd 6tn box I have is not firing correctly. I know it used to be good? anyways, quickly re- wired stock, well, mopar performance orange box back in. and fired right up!!! revved up and let run for cam break in. oil looks good, no engine leaks, needs lots of tuning, but sounds good... now time to play!!!!

Yeah, no way would I try to do a fresh bust off with an MSD. Glad you got it goin.

Yeah, no way would I try to do a fresh bust off with an MSD. Glad you got it goin.

simple before you go to fire the engine...with the distributor removed..and hooked up...key on or whatever power to msd unit...turn the distributor by hand...and hold the coil wire in the other hand...LOL

simple before you go to fire the engine...with the distributor removed..and hooked up...key on or whatever power to msd unit...turn the distributor by hand...and hold the coil wire in the other hand...LOL

Yeah. I remember all too well the MSD display on the local Super Shops counter years ago. lol

WELL>>>>>> went to fire up.. and had no spark at plugs? pissing me off, found out some how the msd 6tn box I have is not firing correctly. I know it used to be good? anyways, quickly re- wired stock, well, mopar performance orange box back in. and fired right up!!! revved up and let run for cam break in. oil looks good, no engine leaks, needs lots of tuning, but sounds good... now time to play!!!!

Can't wait to see a vid, and hear how it performs. Awesome build.

well engine ran GREAT!!! I kept overheating? until I noticed lower hose staying cold? upper hot? everything new, been doing this for years. and wasn't sure why, took all the precautions to keep air pockets happening, , well said to hell with it for the weekend, Monday night got home, removed new MR> GASKET Performance 180 t- stat. stuck in pan of water with 2 others I have, they open up, the new one, never opened up at all and boiled water to over 220 degrees.... piece of crap t- stat about overheated my new engine.... well at least it wasn't my fault.. I feel a little better... but my carb is worn. will need a new one, leaking air at throttle shafts... but sounded very good for the time I had it running, will post vids I near future.

oh yeah, how long you guys been running the engine break in oil? before changing it? used comp cams break in oil 10w/30 eith cmp cams cam lube and luberplate in cylinders...

We're just getting ready to change the initial oil after cam break in and about 300 easy miles. (Been doing it this way for 30+ years, half of them racing motors.) But it does not hurt at all to do it sooner.

When I did mine, I used 30w Lucas break in oil plus the additive sold by my cam mfr (Schneider Cams) to keep in warranty. After break in I put another 50 miles on it doing some pulls down the highway. Changed the oil, with same 30w Lucas break in oil. I am now around 500 miles and plan to change it again in a few days and adjust the valve lash. New filter and Valvoline VR1 going in when I do it.

-- well all wish me luck, going to fire up the old mopar for the 1st time for cam break in this Saturday.... hope it g:prayer::prayer::prayer:eek:es well, --..
--- Hope it goes well, also. - It's a nervy situation for me, but never had a problem.

Sounds like your first fire up went better than mine this weekend lol. I over heated and had ignition problems. Now waiting for more parts to come

-
Back