First step to restoring my 1974 Duster; Front End rebuild (coilovers needed?)

-
16,000 miles on my urethane strut rod bushings with no problems but you say they are bad??

View attachment 1716079550

Limiting suspension movement?

View attachment 1716079552

Maybe if I had pencil thin torsion bars and worn out shocks, that would be a problem.
I don't.
The OPs desire for the 1.03 torsion bars and Bilstein shocks would mean that the range of suspension travel in normal driving will be reduced anyway.
Some people drive a worn out Mopar and think that they have to reinvent the wheel to get it to drive right. I don't agree with that. I see some products advertised that look and perform nice but are often not needed....especially when the owner just wants a fun, safe cruiser.
Urethane strut rod bushings in a car that also has bigger torsion bars and better shocks are not a problem. I will agree that adjustable strut rods would allow more free movement but is the cost worth it? What gains are you getting for that money? It may not be any faster ,more stable, comfortable or quieter. Some tout the increased caster you can get but that is at the expense of increased lower control arm bushing wear due to distortion of that bushing from the strut rod pulling the LCA forward and out of square.
There comes a point where you are spending money for parts that provide no measurable benefit. Some call that the point of diminishing returns.

Having a good handling car is all about making small changes, the sum total of which make a big difference when combined.

Based on your description of things, I'm going to guess that you've never cycled through your full range of travel with strut rods with rubber bushings, strut rods with poly bushings, and adjustable strut rods. It makes a difference. I would also guess that you haven't seen how much the different strut rod bushings can affect the position of the lower control arm itself, because unless you shaved those poly strut rod bushings down it's really unlikely your LCA's ended up in the same place as they did from the factory. The factory used big soft bushings there for a reason, and it was because of the large tolerances these cars have. Having all the strut rods be the same length, with the amount of tolerance in the factory suspension, was possible because of the large, soft, rubber bushings. If you start taking away the large soft rubber bushings, you absolutely have to adjust for those factory tolerances.

The whole point of the adjustable strut rods is not to add caster. That might happen as a by product of them being adjusted correctly, but the entire point is to tune the length of the strut rod so that the LCA moves through it's entire range of travel with no binding at all. I've compared the movement of the LCA with rubber bushings vs poly bushings, with stock strut rods vs adjustable. And it absolutely makes a difference, there is a significant amount of binding that can be removed by tuning the length of the strut rods.

Now, does that make a car with rubber bushings everywhere unsafe? No, it doesn't. It doesn't make a car with poly bushings everywhere unsafe either, although in the case of the poly strut rod bushings you do really need to check to make sure that stuff ends up where it should be, because not all the poly strut rod bushings are the right size. You can see this post by @autoxcuda to understand that better. Cutting strut rod bushings for correct geometry?

And he runs adjustable strut rods now.

If you're happy with what you've got, that's fine. But not knowing what you're missing out on doesn't mean you're not missing out. There's no way I'd run my car with poly strut rod bushings and factory strut rods knowing what I know about how much binding there can be in the system with the factory strut rod length. And no doubt some cars are worse than others because of the loose factory tolerances. But that's kind of my whole point.
As 72BNB pointed out my application Is for racing with no turns! Only time I need to turn is getting on the trailer! Hah! Frame is very stiff between roll bar and frame connectors underneath. I place the Jack behind front tire to change the tire and both front and rear come up off the ground. As a result the coil overs allow me to change and adapt to track conditions etc on the fly if you will. I can assure you 72BNB has forgotten more about front end geometry than most of us will ever know. Read his post carefully and many of the other threads he has posted in. Wealth of knowledge right there

I dunno about all that, I've just done a ton of hands on work with my own cars and a fairly extensive list of aftermarket parts, lots of trial and error. Having looked into it though, the torsion bar suspension these cars came with is actually a great design. And it's capable of a lot, especially with a few upgrades.

But all suspension systems are a trade off, they all have pros/cons. And I can say after hammering my torsion bars out to change my oil pan gasket there are definitely advantages to not having torsion bars in the way! But it all depends on application, and coil overs probably still have a small advantage over torsion bars when it comes to tuning for track conditions. Not nearly as much as there used to be, with the much expanded availability of aftermarket parts for torsion bar suspensions nowadays. Both systems can definitely be tuned to a high level of performance, and at some point it comes down to what the person doing the tuning is more comfortable with.

So I got her tires replaced, and aligned. I came to the garage and tried to drive her home when suddenly the gas is soft and unresponsive. Turns on just fine but the gas wont work. This cable right here wiggles when I step on the gas. WTF! :BangHead:

Cable.jpg

I assume since you're in Germany your standard of a "good-handling car" is higher than here in the States. Instead of wasting your money on a coilover conversion which is unnecessary on these cars except for better header clearance, try these:

-- 1.03" or 1.08" diameter torsion bars (or similar), I like Sway-A-Way myself but there are many vendors for those now
*-- Adjustable strut rods
*-- Delrin lower control arm bushings
-- Box the lower control arms (weld a plate with holes on the bottom to tie the two halves together for strength and rigidity)
-- Front and rear sway bars, Hellwig or Firm Feel are the only brands that fit well and the rear should be adjustable
-- Tubular upper control arms, mainly so you can align it with more caster for modern tires
-- Bilstein RCD shocks/dampers

(Items with the "*" mean they need to be installed together to get the full benefit)

All these parts you can get from @BergmanAutoCraft , hit up Peter he's a great guy to deal with and super knowledgeable.

For disc brakes look at DoctorDiff Drivetrain Components he has various levels of kits. The 11.75" Stage 2 kit is probably what I'd go for, I have the 10.95" ones on my '70 Duster I swapped from a later A-body and they're sufficient for hard braking up to about 80-90 MPH. Doctor Diff also sells a rear disc brake conversion kit.
I thought about going the coilovers route on my Duster, but after some research, I did this front suspension rebuild, but used stock upper control arms with Moog offset bushings, I used the KYB gas adjust shocks as I spent a good bit of money on the the other parts and needed a break. While this setup works great, I think better shocks will make it even better.

Magnum Force is garbage quality, don't buy any of their stuff. QA1 tubular arms wouldn't be a bad idea, iirc @BergmanAutoCraft sells them too.

I thought about going the coilovers route on my Duster, but after some research, I did this front suspension rebuild, but used stock upper control arms with Moog offset bushings, I used the KYB gas adjust shocks as I spent a good bit of money on the the other parts and needed a break. While this setup works great, I think better shocks will make it even better.

Nice, glad those mods worked out for you! I agree on better shocks, I like those KYBs for controlling wheel bounce on trucks and SUVs with high unsprung weight (big heavy wheels and tires and/or heavy live axles) but they're overly stiff and rough-riding on cars. Unless maybe you're running 33" all-terrains on steel wheels lol.

Nice, glad those mods worked out for you! I agree on better shocks, I like those KYBs for controlling wheel bounce on trucks and SUVs with high unsprung weight (big heavy wheels and tires and/or heavy live axles) but they're overly stiff and rough-riding on cars. Unless maybe you're running 33" all-terrains on steel wheels lol.
Or "squishy" torsion bars. lol
But yes, I agree on the QA1 control arms over magnum force, QA1 also makes some decent shocks. Bilsteins from PST | Car & Truck Suspension Parts | Performance Suspension is also my top choice.

OP - have you received your PST order yet? I am curious because the picture of your order shows a "performance LCA kit" that doesn't seem to have sway bar tabs. Is that the way it showed up?

Looking closer, I don't think the LCA comes with the kit, it is just showing a rebuilt LCA. If you haven't rebuilt your LCAs yet, I'd find a set of factory LCAs with sway bar tabs and rebuild those as opposed to yours, which from your pictures have no tabs. Before you rebuild (or have rebuilt) your LCAs find the excellent video on performing that procedure found here on this site (SOMEBODY HELP TO FIND THAT VIDEO!!!). Installing the stiffening plates gives you an opportunity to tighten up the tolerances in the LCA. Once those plates are welded on you can't do that!

Looking closer, I don't think the LCA comes with the kit, it is just showing a rebuilt LCA. If you haven't rebuilt your LCAs yet, I'd find a set of factory LCAs with sway bar tabs and rebuild those as opposed to yours, which from your pictures have no tabs. Before you rebuild (or have rebuilt) your LCAs find the excellent video on performing that procedure found here on this site (SOMEBODY HELP TO FIND THAT VIDEO!!!). Installing the stiffening plates gives you an opportunity to tighten up the tolerances in the LCA. Once those plates are welded on you can't do that!

It’s @Jim Lusk ‘s video

You can still tighten the tolerances after the plates have been welded on, I use a strap across the back of the LCA to keep the pivot from wobbling and it will still work after the plates have been added. Obviously it’s better to take the slop out before welding the plates on. The plates by themselves are a big improvement, but they do still allow the pivot to wobble a bit because the halves can still spread out at the back, which is why I started adding the strap as well

IMG_1786.jpeg

My Gs. So I finally got all the parts, even bought a rebuilt LCA off eBay with sway bar tabs and I was gtg and then this dumb **** won't come off! I took an impact wrench and got it loose to near the edge and the bolt and the nut just spins... wtf! Really hoped I can finish this today.

419b63a7-06da-4531-b04d-822a233142ba.jpeg

Those nuts for the lower ball joints are on bolts that can only be accessed by removing the rotor or drum, whichever type of brakes you have.

Those nuts for the lower ball joints are on bolts that can only be accessed by removing the rotor or drum, whichever type of brakes you have.

Well f**k. I may have broken something. Because the nut moved and now I can move the bolt and the nut back and forth.

I don't think you have broken anything. You will have play in the bolt since you were able to partially remove the nut. You just have to remove the rotor or drum to get a wrench or socket on the bolt heads to be able to completely remove the nuts.

It’s pretty unlikely you broke that bolt, and the bolt just goes through the spindle into the lower ball joint so there’s nothing else to really break. The bolt isn’t retained anywhere, it just slides through. The nut probably just hit a piece of junk or a rough thread on the way out and started spinning the bolt, doesn’t take much once the tension is off.

Update: thank you all!

after a pound of flesh and a little bit (a lot) of tears, I put the front end together and now it handles A LOT better.

EXCEPT!

There is this constant metallic squealing that I hear when I am driving. It stops when I stop but while I am driving it squeals continuously. Seems to sound like metal to metal. Coming from the rear, so it could be the rear drum brakes.

Any recommendation for rear drum brakes?

Thank you again!

Edit: Is there a market for used but good condition torsion bars? and beat up LCAs? otherwise I will throw those out....

-
Back