First time at track. Advice?

-
^^^^^^^ that's an average run for drag cars at my local dragstrip.
Average running car......... WAY below average attitude... :D[/QUOTE. It's not a drag car, it's a pump gas street strip car with,full exhaust, full interior and all steel body with exception of fiberglass hood and all factory glass too. I would love for you to show me time slips that are so much better than those with a similar car. Your out of touch........my car flat rocks for what it is and I think it's not sorted out all the way yet and has yet to generate it's best time slip. Average at best......yeah right........come on hot shot start whipping out all them slips, even from some of your most admired followers on here......show me......show me how it's done.......show me how my car is sooooo average, lol. I will be waiting.

OP, cool to see you had a good time at the track! Glad the car performed at/above your/others expectations! :) I agree with a few of the other guys who said get some gear in that car if you can!

So you want a pat on the back or what? In the 1/4 that's mid tens? Pretty average around here too. If you had been in the 1/8 mile cash grab we ran earlier you wouldn't have made it anywhere near the final rounds. There's 7/8 second street legal cars here. You're not running anything new or special.

You can be proud of your car all you want. The second you **** on someone else car, then I think your car is ****. Just how she goes. What did you say? OH yeah, not a chance at 13's. What did he run? 13's. Which shows just what you know about cars. Then you go on and on and on about slow cars. How much of a bore they are. How you worry about what dickhead dan in the stands thinks of your car. **** like that scares guys away from the track. They should be excited to just go out and run it. See what happens. They need guys saying "That's awesome, if you try this..." not "Well you know if you spent just a few more dollars on..." You don't know what buddies budget is. You don't know how many nights he put into working with what he has to go as fast as he can. Running 13's first time out is great. Especially with his setup. He's got room to grow and with help and guidance, he can.

And BTW here's what some of the coolest 340 cars ran stock in the 1/4 in 1970:
1970 Plymouth Duster 340 (CC)
340ci/275hp, 4spd, 3.91, 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile 14.22 @ 98mph
1970 Plymouth Duster 340 (CL)
340ci/275hp, 3spd auto, 3.23, 0-60 - 6.2, 1/4 mile - 14.72 @ 94.24mph
1970 Plymouth Cuda AAR (CL)
340ci/290hp, 4spd, 3.55, 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile - 14.5 @ 99mph
1970 Plymouth Cuda 340 (RT)
340ci/275hp, 4spd, 3.91, 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile - 15.36 @ 94mph
1970 Plymouth Cuda 340 (MT)
340ci/275hp, 3spd auto, 4.10, 0-60 - 6.4, 1/4 mile - 14.5 @ 96mph
1970 Plymouth Cuda 340 (CL)
340ci/275hp, 3spd auto, 3.55, 0-60 - 7.5, 1/4 mile - 15.0 @ 94mph
1970 Dodge Dart (CC)
340ci/275hp, 3spd std, 3.91, 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile - 14.70 @ 96.84mph
1970 Dodge Challenger 340 (HC)
340ci/275hp, 4spd, 3.55, 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile - 14.55 @ 97mph

Still think 13's is slow? That's all I'm going to say about it. Cause obviously you spend most of your day looking at the back of your teeth.

To OP:

When you going to the track next? I bet some more test/tune runs will help you whittle that time down some as well.

So you want a pat on the back or what? In the 1/4 that's mid tens? Pretty average around here too. If you had been in the 1/8 mile cash grab we ran earlier you wouldn't have made it anywhere near the final rounds. There's 7/8 second street legal cars here. You're not running anything new or special.

You can be proud of your car all you want. The second you **** on someone else car, then I think your car is ****. Just how she goes. What did you say? OH yeah, not a chance at 13's. What did he run? 13's. Which shows just what you know about cars. Then you go on and on and on about slow cars. How much of a bore they are. How you worry about what dickhead dan in the stands thinks of your car. **** like that scares guys away from the track. They should be excited to just go out and run it. See what happens. They need guys saying "That's awesome, if you try this..." not "Well you know if you spent just a few more dollars on..." You don't know what buddies budget is. You don't know how many nights he put into working with what he has to go as fast as he can. Running 13's first time out is great. Especially with his setup. He's got room to grow and with help and guidance, he can.

And BTW here's what some of the coolest 340 cars ran stock in the 1/4 in 1970:
1970 Plymouth Duster 340 (CC)
340ci/275hp, 4spd, 3.91, 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile 14.22 @ 98mph
1970 Plymouth Duster 340 (CL)
340ci/275hp, 3spd auto, 3.23, 0-60 - 6.2, 1/4 mile - 14.72 @ 94.24mph
1970 Plymouth Cuda AAR (CL)
340ci/290hp, 4spd, 3.55, 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile - 14.5 @ 99mph
1970 Plymouth Cuda 340 (RT)
340ci/275hp, 4spd, 3.91, 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile - 15.36 @ 94mph
1970 Plymouth Cuda 340 (MT)
340ci/275hp, 3spd auto, 4.10, 0-60 - 6.4, 1/4 mile - 14.5 @ 96mph
1970 Plymouth Cuda 340 (CL)
340ci/275hp, 3spd auto, 3.55, 0-60 - 7.5, 1/4 mile - 15.0 @ 94mph
1970 Dodge Dart (CC)
340ci/275hp, 3spd std, 3.91, 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile - 14.70 @ 96.84mph
1970 Dodge Challenger 340 (HC)
340ci/275hp, 4spd, 3.55, 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile - 14.55 @ 97mph

Still think 13's is slow? That's all I'm going to say about it. Cause obviously you spend most of your day looking at the back of your teeth.

To OP:

When you going to the track next? I bet some more test/tune runs will help you whittle that time down some as well.
Yes I think 13's is still slow, I personally don't care what anybody in the stands thinks as I'm competing and not watching.......my point is that the people watching find cars that run those times as boring.......it's a simple truth that you can try to defend all you want. Your point of my mid to high 10 second street being nothing special is true to an extent as the reality is with all the different power adders guys are utilizing today they are able to run quicker that 10's fairly easily but I think your stretching it a bit by comparing the droves of 7-8 second street cars out there to my mid 10 second car. Now if you would like to compare cars that are realistically similar then i would be very interested in seeing how slow or average or nothing special my car is..........I know for a fact that it performs for what IT IS as a package better than average BUT NOT yet at a level that makes people's jaws drop in disbelief. As far as the OP is concerned I congratulated him and just like myself and most others he wants to go faster and so the beat goes on, was I wrong about what I predicted versus what he was hoping?......yup I was......no big deal......but 7-8 second TRUE street cars are incredibly rare where they take it out driving every night of the week and then race it on the weekend all the while filling up at the local gas station. Oh one more thing......I have no problem not liking you either as I think you are a PUTZ. Take care

When i first started racing with my 3760 pound car with 2:76 gears in the rear, 100000+ miles on the 318 odometer. 727 tran was all most a 20 sec 1/4 mile run. HELL YES 13s WERE FAST!!!
Tuned the 318 in to the 17s alone with 3:23,built my first 340 in mostly stock fashion. got it into the 15s. yes 13s was still way faster then me!!!! higher stall, more cam better intake and 4:56 got me to 14.20. From there move from the 4400 foot elevation 1/4 mile track to a 1/8 mile track, where it ran 10.0s in the 1/8(6600 feet elevation) whittled it down to a 9.58.
The best i could ever get out of that combo with what i had in it.
When i was at the lower altitude track. my buddy had a 68 dart GT that he put a 383 in.
It ran low 13 to start with. he alway wanted me to take it for a drive down the track. I refused. WHY!!!! Because ones i did, my car would be a turd aka a slow car.

No matter what you do to you car to make it fast...........It is FAST! No matter WHAT THE ET!!!!
And yes, when i first pull up to the staging beams and the grand stand were full......Yeah it was intimidating. but after a while, your focus never gets to that eye lever.LOL
To the Op Grate job!!!!! the bad news is that you're hooked! your bank account will only grow just enough to buy your next part!:D

Yes I think 13's is still slow, I personally don't care what anybody in the stands thinks as I'm competing and not watching.......my point is that the people watching find cars that run those times as boring.......it's a simple truth that you can try to defend all you want. Your point of my mid to high 10 second street being nothing special is true to an extent as the reality is with all the different power adders guys are utilizing today they are able to run quicker that 10's fairly easily but I think your stretching it a bit by comparing the droves of 7-8 second street cars out there to my mid 10 second car. Now if you would like to compare cars that are realistically similar then i would be very interested in seeing how slow or average or nothing special my car is..........I know for a fact that it performs for what IT IS as a package better than average BUT NOT yet at a level that makes people's jaws drop in disbelief. As far as the OP is concerned I congratulated him and just like myself and most others he wants to go faster and so the beat goes on, was I wrong about what I predicted versus what he was hoping?......yup I was......no big deal......but 7-8 second TRUE street cars are incredibly rare where they take it out driving every night of the week and then race it on the weekend all the while filling up at the local gas station. Oh one more thing......I have no problem not liking you either as I think you are a PUTZ. Tak

Like I thought, not a thing the say. It's fun when folks can go back and read your ignorance :D
But here, I'll help ya out................
I went 17.76 with a '84 2.2 reliant, boy was that fun :D

17.76..that was a great year..:rofl::rofl::rofl:

17.76..that was a great year..:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I had to go look, and dug out the old E.T. slip. My memory is "slightly" slipping. It ran 17.71 ......
:p
'84 2.2 Reliant auto... replaced the factory carb with a 2bbl from a 318 :D

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just read all the way through and I'm confused. A 318, 2. something reared car in the 13s is slow compared to a pro built, aluminum headed, 416,with a pro built trans, in a stripped out car . But THAT car, in the 10's, is fast & shouldn't be compared to cars going 8's because they are built differently? Or am I missing something?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just read all the way through and I'm confused. A 318, 2. something reared car in the 13s is slow compared to a pro built, aluminum headed, 416,with a pro built trans, in a stripped out car . But THAT car, in the 10's, is fast & shouldn't be compared to cars going 8's because they are built differently? Or am I missing something?
Uhhhh yeah I think you should go back and reread the posting again because my car is not stripped out and is not pro built and yes it runs 10's which is quick for a daily driven street strip car and I'm sorry but 13's are slow and a car in the 8'scis a TOTALLY different animal and you should know better.

Uhhhh yeah I think you should go back and reread the posting again because my car is not stripped out and is not pro built and yes it runs 10's which is quick for a daily driven street strip car and I'm sorry but 13's are slow and a car in the 8'scis a TOTALLY different animal and you should know better.

Exately...

Sorry if I offended, I was confused (as I pointed out). I saw "Indy 415 engine and Pro Trans 904" in your profile & figured it meant Indy & Pro Trans were the builders of the engine and trans. (hence "pro built, aluminum headed, 416" & "pro built trans"). If a car has a cage where once were back seats, interior panels, & carpet, etc. that are no longer there, I call it stripped out. Maybe you replaced that stuff.
I don't think I said 10's isn't quick for a daily driver, hell- I didn't even say 10 wasn't quick for a race car, now did I?
I think what I was asking is; how is a 8s car a totally different animal than your 10's car, yet your 10s Indy 415,- Pro Trans, 60 rear car isn't a totally different animal than a stock bottom, iron headed, 318 or 360, whatever cam, 2.76 gear.

Indy 415 is a "REAL" engine..318's are "boat anchors"....

Sorry if I offended, I was confused (as I pointed out). I saw "Indy 415 engine and Pro Trans 904" in your profile & figured it meant Indy & Pro Trans were the builders of the engine and trans. (hence "pro built, aluminum headed, 416" & "pro built trans"). If a car has a cage where once were back seats, interior panels, & carpet, etc. that are no longer there, I call it stripped out. Maybe you replaced that stuff.
I don't think I said 10's isn't quick for a daily driver, hell- I didn't even say 10 wasn't quick for a race car, now did I?
I think what I was asking is; how is a 8s car a totally different animal than your 10's car, yet your 10s Indy 415,- Pro Trans, 60 rear car isn't a totally different animal than a stock bottom, iron headed, 318 or 360, whatever cam, 2.76 gear.
It will have the back seat in the car with the roll bar but I'm still working on the wiring as to why it's not currently in there, and there is also new carpet sitting on the bench as well. You are correct that Indy and Pro Trans built the engine and trans but I had an almost immediate engine related failure which I just repaired myself with the parts that I saw fit and it's been fine ever since. No issues with the trans from Dave. I would not let Indy build another engine for me but I am not a performance engine builder myself so if another one was to be built I would just try someone else, but MANY on here choose to assemble thier own engines after machine work is done as they feel they can do it better so does that make all those guys pro engine builders too? I think your confused as I didn't and wasn't comparing a 13 second car to a 10 second car and then comparing the 10 second to the 8, I never said such thing and your putting words in my mouth. I stated that a 13 second car to me would be boring. I'm not really sure if I can explain it thorough enough for you as I think you only want to read and interpret what you want. Take care.....

and none of you bashers can beat the truck. keep bash'n, there is a faster car, truck lol, in the next pit.

and none of you bashers can beat the truck. keep bash'n, there is a faster car, truck lol, in the next pit.
I don't think anybody mentioned who's car is faster debate, it all spurred on from the fact that some members think 13 second cars are boring and others find them to be quite entertaining.

And once again, we are off topic.

This is about OP's car, what he should expect his first time at the track and the fact that he ran 13's. When all you **** talkers called for 15's. He's out racing. That's good enough in my books. I look forward to him going for another run (maybe this weekend OP?) and letting us know if he picks up any time with some more practice at the track.

So how about we get back on topic?

I don't think anybody mentioned who's car is faster debate, it all spurred on from the fact that some members think 13 second cars are boring and others find them to be quite entertaining.

Exately..some people:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey guys I have been back to the track. I have from 13.5 down to 13.2. My 60 foot has improved from 2.1 to a 1.9.I finally picked up some 3:55 gears so I can ditch the 2:76 gears. I'll be going back in a couple weeks. My goal the rest of this year is to try and make high 12's.

Hey guys I have been back to the track. I have from 13.5 down to 13.2. My 60 foot has improved from 2.1 to a 1.9.I finally picked up some 3:55 gears so I can ditch the 2:76 gears. I'll be going back in a couple weeks. My goal the rest of this year is to try and make high 12's.
That's awesome!! 13.20's on a mild 360 with 2.76 gears.. man that's cook'n it!! Going from 2.76s to 3.55s will put ya in the 12's no problem.

-
Back