first time to the track with new combo (video inside)

-

MOPARCODY

Reaction score
so long story short my dart started out life with a lil 273 running consistant 18s in the quarter...got the hp bug and bought a 360 out of a dakota rt, car went 12.99 1.79 60ft @ 102. (stock converter) with a set of out of the box eddy heads 1.7 mpp roller rockers holley 650 a set of long tubes 3.91 gears and a pair of drag radials

since then ive upgraded to the 395hp crate motor cam and a 3500 stall. bought a new set of nitto 555r drag radials which dont stick at all, best 60ft so far has been a 2.07 and im only trapping 106-106, seems a little low, with the best et of 12.52 @106.

car seems to be down on power car weighs just over 3k with my fat *** in it.

any ideas on whats holding me back?

heres a link to a video
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3710127476786&notif_t=video_tag

so long story short my dart started out life with a lil 273 running consistant 18s in the quarter...got the hp bug and bought a 360 out of a dakota rt, car went 12.99 1.79 60ft @ 102. (stock converter) with a set of out of the box eddy heads 1.7 mpp roller rockers holley 650 a set of long tubes 3.91 gears and a pair of drag radials

since then ive upgraded to the 395hp crate motor cam and a 3500 stall. bought a new set of nitto 555r drag radials which dont stick at all, best 60ft so far has been a 2.07 and im only trapping 106-106, seems a little low, with the best et of 12.52 @106.

car seems to be down on power car weighs just over 3k with my fat *** in it.

any ideas on whats holding me back?

heres a link to a video
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3710127476786&notif_t=video_tag

Thats what i ran in my 71 swinger with a 95 junkyard 360 magnum, the bottom end stayed stock, installed RHS heads, re-ground factory cam, RPM intake, 650dp, headers, 2800 stall, 4.10 gears, car ran 106 @ 12.50s on 1.79/1.80 60fts., ran a 125 shot through it & pulled off 7.4s @ 96 in the 1/8 with traction limited. So i think your pretty close on ET for the combo, the MPH is dead on for the ET.

These are some weird times you have. Look's by my calculations that you have no 60', but it's nosing over big time on the top end. What i'm saying is, the ET/MPH is close to where it should be but the 60' is way off. With those calc's, the 60' should be in the 1.7 range. The fact that your running those times w/o the 60 look's to me like you're losing on both end's. Sorry if this makes no sense...:D.

What pressure are you running in the Nitto's and what is your rear suspension setup? I have a set of Nitto's on my car and while they aren't the best drag radial they don't seem to be too bad. Sure hook a lot harder than the street radials did. One thing I noticed though is mine like quite a bit of air pressure. Anything less than 24 and they spin bad. 28 seems to be the best on mine. My car still has stock rear leafs (hd units) and no traction aids at all. Sometimes little things can really affect how it hooks. At first mine was spinning real bad and I noticed the pinion angle was only 2 degrees. I put in a set of 4 degree shims and it made it hook a bunch better.

Your video doesn't seem to work.

Your not really down on power, your converter "now" is blowing the tires & your 60fts. are horrible, you'll gain some MPH back once it hooks, Your ETs will really improve also.

What is the transmission?
Manual valve body?
I'm curious what your rpm's are also.
Intake manifold?

Something seems off
But maybe not to far off as of trap speed
But your 60' time should be a lot quicker
Are you running frame connectors?

heres a little update and the video i meant to post.

i havent had time to mess with the car

let me know what you think

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA3bf1_kLpw"]1965 dodge dart 360 395 hp crate motor - YouTube[/ame]

Try to not do dry hops.

Do your burnout and roll to the staging lights. Dry hops take the good off the tires you just warmed up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBb_JVQi64g"]android 236 - YouTube[/ame]

i lost 5 mph of trap for some reason in this vid

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuDbuDrIDA0"]android 237 - YouTube[/ame]

Personally I think your doing fairly good considering your carb is only a 650. I'd be thinking of a 750 or better - give it some top end.
What pressure are you running in the tires - lower it if you can, I haven't used the 555 Nitto before but with my NT01's (curcuit tire), the one time I went to the drags I ran 13psi and was happy with the result.

I see you run drag radials. If you run on the streets, heat them pretty good the first time like you did in the videos. After that, it's not really beneficial to smoke show like in each video. Looks great, but, it wears the tire down and can actually make them grease up. You can cut the burnout time at least in half. Watch the burnout this video, car runs 1.47x 60's on a 275/60/15 Drag radial with 20 psi in them. It picked up with more pressure.

[ame="http://youtu.be/ir67clUjzBc"]302 Found[/ame]

Get it in high gear as quickly as possible, give it a 2-3 count and roll out.

It should run better than that with that much power and a little car, what springs on the rear are you running?

sounds and looks like its bogging out of the hole. i think a good stall converter would be your next big improvement. with your gearing i would go 3500-4000 stall and put a 750 carb on it. i bet it would be a whole new car.

Personally I think your doing fairly good considering your carb is only a 650. I'd be thinking of a 750 or better - give it some top end.
What pressure are you running in the tires - lower it if you can, I haven't used the 555 Nitto before but with my NT01's (curcuit tire), the one time I went to the drags I ran 13psi and was happy with the result.

the carb is now a 770 street avenger, ive tried 16-25 psi in the tires and havent noticed a difference

I see you run drag radials. If you run on the streets, heat them pretty good the first time like you did in the videos. After that, it's not really beneficial to smoke show like in each video. Looks great, but, it wears the tire down and can actually make them grease up. You can cut the burnout time at least in half. Watch the burnout this video, car runs 1.47x 60's on a 275/60/15 Drag radial with 20 psi in them. It picked up with more pressure.

302 Found

Get it in high gear as quickly as possible, give it a 2-3 count and roll out.

yea i was a little excessive on the burnouts but the tires were brand new and those were the first three passes. one of my dads old school racer buddies came over and looked at it this morning. he said my carb/induction/timing is wrong. i was only at about 30 degrees overall and after a short drive around the block we came to the conclusion that my secondaries werent opening. we put a screw in the linkage set the timing to 36 overall and took it for a ride.......night and day difference, feels like the car picked up at least 50 hp.:blob:

so after all that 12.5 with a 2 barrel aint too bad lol.

im going out on the 1st for the new years day drags well see how she does

It should run better than that with that much power and a little car, what springs on the rear are you running?

i agree completely

What is the transmission?
Manual valve body?
I'm curious what your rpm's are also.
Intake manifold?

Something seems off
But maybe not to far off as of trap speed
But your 60' time should be a lot quicker
Are you running frame connectors?

stock valve body with the spring removed not sure which one i didnt do it

its a 904 hughes 3500 stall but only stalls to about 2200 on the footbrake.

i do have subframe connectors

im running the edelbrock rpm air gap

sounds and looks like its bogging out of the hole. i think a good stall converter would be your next big improvement. with your gearing i would go 3500-4000 stall and put a 750 carb on it. i bet it would be a whole new car.

i have a hughes 3500 stall but its not as loose as i thought it would be. and i have a holley 770 vac secondary on it for now

more converter and carb my nitto' s work really well
I am having the same problem lost 3 tenths off the 60 after a engine refresh and a slight bump in the cam lift ,removed the trans for new clutch packs and a dynamic 4200 converter pretty sure the dynamic converter will fix it

Stay outta the water! If I'm not mistaken the Nitto 555Rs have tread grooves. Just do the burnout dry. The tread grooves hold water & sling it up into the wheel wells & then it drips down while you're staging & when you launch. Play with the tire pressures after that & see if it improves any. Are you staging deep or shallow? Does the car seem to lose something on the top end or is it still pulling hard? I'd check your plugs right at the end of a run & read them. And I mean RIGHT at the end of the run. Not after driving back to the pit. See what they say. Too rich or too lean & you lose power, ET & speed. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on the car? What is your psi on the top end? Maybe she's starving. Put an adjustable pinion snubber on it & that'll help get some bite back.

In them videos you need more pump squirt or your lifting off the gas for a split sec. about 30 feet out!

a 4500 rpm converter usually solves the pump squirter problem along with slow 60 times.

What rear gear are you running? Looks soft on take off even when it isn't spinning and like Rob said don't smoke the hides so much and it may hook better. I'd suggest installing a good shift kit (trans-go TF-2 is a good one). May not make it much faster but it'll sure make the trans. live a lot longer.

the carb is now a 770 street avenger, ive tried 16-25 psi in the tires and havent noticed a difference

we came to the conclusion that my secondaries werent opening. we put a screw in the linkage set the timing to 36 overall and took it for a ride.......night and day difference, feels like the car picked up at least 50 hp.:blob:

so after all that 12.5 with a 2 barrel aint too bad lol.

im going out on the 1st for the new years day drags well see how she does

You put a screw in the linkage to force the secondaries open??? That'll generally cause quite a bog when you nail it. Why didn't you just change the secondary spring to a lighter one? On Avengers it's real easy with the quick change pot.

-
Back