FiTech EFI system

-
We have had success rear-mounting the return line via this little return/bypass filter. Saves a mile of hose, and un complicates the return system.
PACE Performance - PAC-9926 - Pace Pac EFI Fuel Filter with Regulator Package
M15196179.gif
Johnny, please descibe this setup in more detail. It has a lot of appeal to me!

Talk to Johnny over at Pace. He is a vendor here and has a lot of experience with the FItech units. I believe they were the first company to start selling them other than straight from the manufacturer. He sells distributors and will be able to point you in the right direction, especially if you want to have the unit control timingJohnny Pace
Thanks for the mention! Yes as I have mentioned plenty of times...the best route to go is one of the msd, or msd equivilent distributors I offer(very economical). Plain and simple, the fitech operates on a clean tach signal. 40 year old ignition isn't very good at providing this. Even in fuel only, issues can occur. I will gladly go into more detail if you want to call or email me.

Johnny, please descibe this setup in more detail. It has a lot of appeal to me!
Hello and thanks for the interest.
This kit is a dual purpose post pump fuel filter with a 58psi pressure relief outlet. The relief valve allows you to rear mount the return, and just run a single line up to the fitech unit. We sell it by itself as seen above, or with the frame rail pump.

Last edited:
Do you have a link that has some different options? Ideally I would like to avoid a 6al ignition box or something along those lines. If I can keep it as simple as possible that would be great.

Thanks for the mention! Yes as I have mentioned plenty of times...the best route to go is one of the msd, or msd equivilent distributors I offer(very economical). Plain and simple, the fitech operates on a clean tach signal. 40 year old ignition isn't very good at providing this. Even in fuel only, issues can occur. I will gladly go into more detail if you want to call or email me.

Hi Johnny,
If the rear mounted return is used, do you disable the fuel regulator on the FiTech TB, since it is rated at 55 psi?

Thanks,
Travis

Have any knowledge of this being used with a FiTech? If so how well does it work? Any tweaks that have to be made via controller? I will have a Tanks Inc tank with 255LPH in-tank pump. Do I need a fuel pump relay?
The above filter return kit is More For the IN-LINE pump, opposed to conjunction with an in tank pump. First off, i have nothing bad to say about tanks, but I dont carry them. If the tanks unit has a return like the in tank aeromotive units I sell, then I would just run a return back into the tank like I imagine the sending unit/ pump has.
The above filter kit is more for an in-line pump. As it allows the fuel to constantly flow. And not cavitate the little pulsar pump. Id think the cost of the kit above is about a wash vs the ten feet of line you'd just run back to the tanks unit and do it the right way.
I personally run relays on everything, but its not a requirement.
Hope that helps. Let me know.

Johnny,
Can the internal circuit board on the TSP-JM7713BK Mopar SB Pro Series Ready to Run Distributor be easily disconnected? I eventually want to have the FiTech control timing, but need something to get the engine started and running well first. It would be nice to buy one distributor that will serve both purposes.

Thanks,
Travis

Johnny,
Can the internal circuit board on the TSP-JM7713BK Mopar SB Pro Series Ready to Run Distributor be easily disconnected? I eventually want to have the FiTech control timing, but need something to get the engine started and running well first. It would be nice to buy one distributor that will serve both purposes.

Thanks,
Travis
To answer your question. I can confirm tomorrow about the ready to run distributor. I imagine it is just like the msd where you can still run external control.

Onto my opinion and commentary. Everyone seems to over complicate the timing control. Its not some exotic feature that you need to be scared of on initial fire up. If you are with me on the billet distributor, phasable rotor, and a new coil...you dont need to be scared of it. The engine gets timing from the unit, or from springs in the distributor. It's not some 5 mpg and 20 hp difference either way. So thats my next point. Im not married to the timing control. Using the fitech in fuel only, with an hei, or a cdi box, or one of the cheaper ready to runs, is just fine.
So in short...timing control isn't something exotic enough to plan on setting up the engine to run without it, and then circling back to. On the flip side, I dont think it's..."awesome" enough to gut a ready to run distributor for, just to have it.
The "awesome" factor is dumping the insufficient oe ignition either way.
The handheld timing adjustments is cool, yes, but ask yourself how often you re-time your engine? You pretty much get it right and forget it...you can do that with the handheld screen or a distributor wrench...so I can play devils advocate either way. Dont let either option scare or influence you either way.

To answer your question. I can confirm tomorrow about the ready to run distributor. I imagine it is just like the msd where you can still run external control.

Onto my opinion and commentary. Everyone seems to over complicate the timing control. Its not some exotic feature that you need to be scared of on initial fire up. If you are with me on the billet distributor, phasable rotor, and a new coil...you dont need to be scared of it. The engine gets timing from the unit, or from springs in the distributor. It's not some 5 mpg and 20 hp difference either way. So thats my next point. Im not married to the timing control. Using the fitech in fuel only, with an hei, or a cdi box, or one of the cheaper ready to runs, is just fine.
So in short...timing control isn't something exotic enough to plan on setting up the engine to run without it, and then circling back to. On the flip side, I dont think it's..."awesome" enough to gut a ready to run distributor for, just to have it.
The "awesome" factor is dumping the insufficient oe ignition either way.
The handheld timing adjustments is cool, yes, but ask yourself how often you re-time your engine? You pretty much get it right and forget it...you can do that with the handheld screen or a distributor wrench...so I can play devils advocate either way. Dont let either option scare or influence you either way.

Thanks for your answer. I certainly understand your points. I should have given more context to my question. The stock 360 engine going in our duster project hasn't been started in 12 years. I planned to get the engine started and running prior to installing the FiTech. If the engine was already running, then I'd just install the Fitech and go with the billet distributor, phasable rotor, and a new coil. The car is being completely rewired and there is not an existing ignition, other than stock distributor to start with. I want the ability to control timing with the FiTech in the future for possible add-ons like nitrous or boost after appropriate engine upgrades. Those upgrades are just wishful thinking now, due to budget constraints. I plan to purchase the Go EFI Power Adder from you before the month is over so I can take advantage of the rebate. That version of the FiTech has way more functionality than we need now, but I don't want to be limited for future upgrades.

Travis

I like that Pro series you have. I am limited on overall height with my air cleaner so do you know how his compares to an oe mopar la distributor? Also I have newer 8.8 plug wires that have the oe style boots and would not work on this new cap. I assume the oe style cap isn't available?

Here is another post with more of a breakdown also.

New Pace Performance Billet distributor offerings.

Thanks for your answer. I certainly understand your points. I should have given more context to my question. The stock 360 engine going in our duster project hasn't been started in 12 years. I planned to get the engine started and running prior to installing the FiTech. If the engine was already running, then I'd just install the Fitech and go with the billet distributor, phasable rotor, and a new coil. The car is being completely rewired and there is not an existing ignition, other than stock distributor to start with. I want the ability to control timing with the FiTech in the future for possible add-ons like nitrous or boost after appropriate engine upgrades. Those upgrades are just wishful thinking now, due to budget constraints. I plan to purchase the Go EFI Power Adder from you before the month is over so I can take advantage of the rebate. That version of the FiTech has way more functionality than we need now, but I don't want to be limited for future upgrades.

Travis
Gotcha,

we break them in on the dyno with the fitech with no issues. Is the principle just that you want to diagnose any engine issues with a carb and a stand alone ignition, prior to getting into the fitech?

I like that Pro series you have. I am limited on overall height with my air cleaner so do you know how his compares to an oe mopar la distributor? Also I have newer 8.8 plug wires that have the oe style boots and would not work on this new cap. I assume the oe style cap isn't available?

The overall height from the engine flange to the top of the coil terminal is just under 8 inches. You'll have to compare than to your OE distributor, and let me know. as far as the cap, no there in no female version...BUT.... you can purchase these, and simply re-terminate your distributor ends. it's extremely easy to do this, and pretty cheap.
HEI Distributor Boots MSD Ignition 8849 - Pace Performance Parts

Gotcha,

we break them in on the dyno with the fitech with no issues. Is the principle just that you want to diagnose any engine issues with a carb and a stand alone ignition, prior to getting into the fitech?

Yes, that is exactly it. I plan to replace all gaskets, but I won't be rebuilding the engine at this point. It ran well when I pulled it out of the car, but I assumed there could be some technical difficulties getting is running after sitting so long. I wanted the FiTech to have a running foundation when installed.

Travis

Yes, that is exactly it. I plan to replace all gaskets, but I won't be rebuilding the engine at this point. It ran well when I pulled it out of the car, but I assumed there could be some technical difficulties getting is running after sitting so long. I wanted the FiTech to have a running foundation when installed.

Travis

OK,
Q:"Can the Pro-Series, Pro-Billet, Ready-to-run, be retro-fitted, back to a regular electronic ignition without cdi function?"
A: Yes. The "regular" ignition module can be swapped in place of the ready-to-run board.

PRO SERIES DISTRIBUTOR | MAGNETIC PICKUP

these are also interchangable with the MSD 84661

There are a few big block ready-to-run pro series, pro billets, that don't have a "regular" version. this applies to them too.

Just don't confuse the names.lol which i sometimes do.

Last edited:
I might be in luck then. I measured my current setup and it is close to the same. the current boots are are original and came with the accel 8.8 wires so would the boots you recommended work ok?Never know when I start going across brands...

The overall height from the engine flange to the top of the coil terminal is just under 8 inches. You'll have to compare than to your OE distributor, and let me know. as far as the cap, no there in no female version...BUT.... you can purchase these, and simply re-terminate your distributor ends. it's extremely easy to do this, and pretty cheap.
HEI Distributor Boots MSD Ignition 8849 - Pace Performance Parts

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OK,
Q:"Can the Pro-Series, Pro-Billet, Ready-to-run, be retro-fitted, back to a regular electronic ignition without cdi function?"
A: Yes. The "regular" ignition module can be swapped in place of the ready-to-run board.
TSP-JM6919 Ignition Distributor Magnetic Pickup for 6600 & 7600 series Distributors

these are also interchangable with the MSD 84661
Distributor Magnetic Pickup MSD Ignition 84661 - Pace Performance Parts

There are a few big block ready-to-run pro series, pro billets, that don't have a "regular" version. this applies to them too.

Just don't confuse the names.lol which i sometimes do.

Johnny, thank you for being patient with all my questions. I've been assuming the Pro-Billet, Ready-to-run, is fully compatible with the MSD phasable rotor, but I wanted to confirm with you? My assumptions tend to ruin my plans all the time, so I wanted to make sure.

Travis

I got the 800 hp version. I've got a brand new motor that I will break in with my old carb and switch over to the efi set up once I figure out where to mount the sumo and get the return line figured out. I'm wondering what I will need to do with the distributor I just bought to work right: Custom Wire Sets & Performance Products :: Distributors :: Big Block Mopar "B" Low Deck FIRECORE Electronic Distributor

And I'm hoping it jives with the rev-n-nator ECU I bought that has a rev limiter in it. Does the interface have a rev limiter you can use?
The Rev-n-nator, the revinater, the revonator and R/T Garage - Mopar Restoration and Performance Services in Belle Plaine, MN

I might be in luck then. I measured my current setup and it is close to the same. the current boots are are original and came with the accel 8.8 wires so would the boots you recommended work ok?Never know when I start going across brands...

View attachment 1714935144

View attachment 1714935145
Yes, they are just sold by size. Many Accel pn's are in the process of going discontinued after the msd acquisition....which was followed immediately by the holley acquisition. But I can see if they have any left. I think they were more money though.

Johnny, thank you for being patient with all my questions. I've been assuming the Pro-Billet, Ready-to-run, is fully compatible with the MSD phasable rotor, but I wanted to confirm with you? My assumptions tend to ruin my plans all the time, so I wanted to make sure.

Travis
Yes. The phasable msd rotor works in my pro series pro billet. For the 9th time on this thread ;) lol

I got the 800 hp version. I've got a brand new motor that I will break in with my old carb and switch over to the efi set up once I figure out where to mount the sumo and get the return line figured out. I'm wondering what I will need to do with the distributor I just bought to work right: Custom Wire Sets & Performance Products :: Distributors :: Big Block Mopar "B" Low Deck FIRECORE Electronic Distributor

And I'm hoping it jives with the rev-n-nator ECU I bought that has a rev limiter in it. Does the interface have a rev limiter you can use?
The Rev-n-nator, the revinater, the revonator and R/T Garage - Mopar Restoration and Performance Services in Belle Plaine, MN
Not sure if this is directed at me or not, but I dont carry either of those products, nor would I assume either of them are compatible with the fitech. Unless one of them contains a clear tach signal wire, and the rotor is phasable, which i assume it isn't, then its hit or miss. I preach the above multiple places in the thread. Some guys can get the oe style stuff to work, some cant. I know both of your items are "upgrades" so maybe you will have luck. Im not sure if the the 800 come from me, but i usually touch base on the above before letting it fly.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I bought through summit with a 10% off code. However, I directed a lot of guys on Moparts to you/this thread. So hopefully some of those guys bought through you. The guy who makes those distributors also makes plug wires and a few different types of dostributors one of which is a ready to run. I'm going to ask him about the tach signal and phasing.
Does the Fitech have a rev limiter built into it somehow, that's the reason I bought the rev-n-nator ECU. I'm guessing the 800 doesn't bc it doesn't have timing control. I bought the two of those maybe a month before I learned about this Fitech efi system.

-
Back