FiTech EFI system

-
Hey if you guys have figured out a way to run those female cap distributors, and phase them properly then "mopar-to ya" lol
personally i haven't tested them, and i know fitech won't even take a tech call with one of them installed, so i'll be sticking to my inexpensive billet offerings recommendation. But again if you've tested it, and know it works, then good luck!
I dont sell or install them, just happen to help Don fix problem since I am a FI guy and he is not. He was getting calls about his ignition system having issues with FI Tech. I spoke with the guys at FI Tech a few times but dont like their attitude. You shouldnt have to buy whole new ignition just to run this. Fi Tech is now installig one of Dons systems on a challanger they have there. My guess is they will be taking tech calls for them soon and should probably change their attitude about supporting their products if they wish continued success. Just my $.02

Hey if you guys have figured out a way to run those female cap distributors, and phase them properly then "mopar-to ya" lol
personally i haven't tested them, and i know fitech won't even take a tech call with one of them installed, so i'll be sticking to my inexpensive billet offerings recommendation. But again if you've tested it, and know it works, then good luck!
I have yet to try it with the FTech...it's not here yet. The FBO HRR688 box and 2 wire dist are installed and waiting for the FiTech 600 to arrive. When I do hook it up I'll post the results.

I'm not knocking anyone else's efforts at all. like i said above, if you can make it work, have at it. all i can speak from is my experience with the units, and what we have tested. Please don't take it as an "attitude" at all. it's just the nature of the aftermarket industry when they publish that the system needs X-Y-Z, and they get calls from users that have problems, after specifically publishing in the instructions that certain things are needed. Obviously some have made accommodations outside of that, and thats fine, it's part of hot-rodding. If you already have an FBO, then looks like you guys have a viable option for keeping it. All i'm saying is If you're bone stock, we all know that isn't going to work, so I clearly am going to recommend a product that we have tested, vs one I haven't. I like my offerings, some like the FBO...and thats fine :) thats why the aftermarket doesn't consist of one performance brand, from a single company. We all have numerous options!
If someone gets it working with timing control, then yes please post some results!

I'm not knocking anyone else's efforts at all. like i said above, if you can make it work, have at it. all i can speak from is my experience with the units, and what we have tested. Please don't take it as an "attitude" at all. it's just the nature of the aftermarket industry when they publish that the system needs X-Y-Z, and they get calls from users that have problems, after specifically publishing in the instructions that certain things are needed. Obviously some have made accommodations outside of that, and thats fine, it's part of hot-rodding. If you already have an FBO, then looks like you guys have a viable option for keeping it. All i'm saying is If you're bone stock, we all know that isn't going to work, so I clearly am going to recommend a product that we have tested, vs one I haven't. I like my offerings, some like the FBO...and thats fine :) thats why the aftermarket doesn't consist of one performance brand, from a single company. We all have numerous options!
If someone gets it working with timing control, then yes please post some results!
I agree and I would also add that if you don't already have a compatible ignition to most definately go with the pace offerings...they are proven. I just happen to have a new FBO system installed that I would like to try. If it doesn't work, Ill be the first to post it up for sale and come your way for a proven ignition system...I'm not married to FBO...or anything else for that matter.

My only interaction with FI Tech was when I was asked to build a compatible fuel system for a few people that wanted pump in tank which we already did with our MPFI conversions. We only do multi port swaps so I have no reason to deal with them outside of customers and Don wanting me to solve their issues. I dont tune them or install them. Honestly it was easier to solve tach issue than keep taking calls about it. As I have said before, I send all the FI Tech guys to you, johnny. Its not my cup of high test.:steering:

Ok I got my fitech system installed this weekend. Everything went very straight forward and I had everything on hand to tackle the job from fitech.
I am running with timing control and went with the external fuel pump from them. I mounted the pump alongside the fuel tank behind the axle (similar to fuel cell in trunk)
I drove the car today and was pretty happy with everything until the fuel pump started sounding odd.
After approx 40 min of cruising (mainly highway) the fuel pump died. It was so hot I could not touch the pump. It left me stranded.
Planning to call tech line in the morning to maybe solve it.

Debating about tossing their fuel pump and go with an internal aeromotive phantom pump.

Sorry for the bad luck dodgedifferent, I can't say I've had one of the frame rail pumps die on us yet. Thats a first. Clearly an in tank pump is the more "optimal" route, but we have just as many in-line pumps on the road as we do FCC's...and I'll admit i've seen 2 FCC deaths since inception. the inline pumps have fared rather well. I was at a trade show last week with aeromotive, and we sell their products, and those stealth units are about the ultimate. let me know if i can help.

I was on the phone with fitech today. When I installed the pump and return line. My return line goes into the original pickup which is creating bubbles in the fuel. The new pickup takes from the bottom of the tank which I had bungs prewelded when I made the tank. The new pickup is likely sucking in air bubbles from the return since they are very close to each other. The pump was hot and did sound horrible at a few points in the drive. So I believe the return bubbles are causing my issues so I plan to re plumb the return line and hopefully fixes the issue

Got 50 miles into my ride and it started ******* up, would keep stalling as I was cruising down the road, pull over wait a few minuites and fire up and go a few miles and stall again.

Do you have an external fuel pump? Sounds like the issue my friend was having with his fuel injected GTO when his fuel pump would overheat.

If it's sucking air...it's going to kill it. fuel pumps aren't real happy when they have to compress air, and try to push fuel at the same time.

Kit should be sitting on my doorstep when I get home.

The girlfriend is headed for a 7month trip to Kuwait in 2 days.

It will be just me and the Valiant..

Been a while fellas. Installing a FITech set up on my Dart. Figured this would be the place for some solid answers. The fi unit is here, wired and installed. Ordered the fcc (all from summit) and it seems like it's on eternal back order. My question, is it worth waiting for or should I go another route?
Anxiously awaiting to get this running.

Been a while fellas. Installing a FITech set up on my Dart. Figured this would be the place for some solid answers. The fi unit is here, wired and installed. Ordered the fcc (all from summit) and it seems like it's on eternal back order. My question, is it worth waiting for or should I go another route?
Anxiously awaiting to get this running.

I'm in the same boat here. In 3 days it'll be 2 months waiting on the FCC for me. I ordered thru Pace tho. Car has been sitting for almost 3 weeks now :(

I'm not knocking Pace (Johnny's been great) or even the manufacturer for that fact but if I had known it would be this long I would have went a different route on the fuel delivery system...

Last edited:
Hi Spike,
If you dont' stay with the FCC, then I would recommend an in tank pump option. There are several different options available, although price varies. Here are some to think about.

Build your own in tank system with Tanks Inc. parts. All these Tanks Inc. items can be purchased directly or through other performance suppliers like Summit, Jegs, etc. I also think that you can buy from magnummopar.com, which has a FABO discount.
Mopar Fuel Injection Tanks

Pace Performance (tank, aeromotive 340 lph pump, gauge sending unit):
AEI-18344 - Fuel Tank, 340 Stealth, 70-76 Dart/Duster

Aeromotive 18688 Phantom Stealth Fuel System:
I'll let you look it up, but Jegs, Summit, I think Pace, etc. all offer at various prices.

There is the out of tank options, also. Those are well documented in this thread and others, so I won't give any specific details.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Once you decide on the option you like most, just shop around for the best prices. Start with Johnny Pace (www. paceperformance.com) and magnummopar (magnummopar.com) first since they give great tech support, are FABO members, and I believe both provide a FABO discount.

Travis

thanks 74swinger

I prefer the aeromotive option if the factory tank is in good shape.
Aeromotive - AEI - AEI18688 - Phantom Stealth Fuel System

as for my FCC holdouts, they send us a shipment of 10, and 25 in the last 2 weeks. So i'm hoping this is the end of the "redesign delays" guess time will tell, I can only apologize on their behalf to guys like sal who have stuck with me! (or offer up an aeromotive option) or the frame rail pumps from fitech if you so choose that route, but that usually requires a "better pushers than pullers" conversation, so it's not always the best option.

I looked into the Tanks Inc option last week. A new "EFI" tank, their GPA series in tank pump, & new sending unit was $500. Only $100 more than the FCC system. Of course add a few extras like return line and fittings and you're probably another $100 that route plus additional labor to swap out the tank.

The Aeromotive in tank system is $475 by itself without the tank.

No need to apologize Johnny, not your fault. FiTech has something that's a little bit in demand right now. At least their throttle body is available, Holley keeps pushing their Sniper back and doesn't look like it comes with everything (O2 sensor, etc). I'm excited to get this thing going (and so are a few friends of mine that want to see how it works before converting their carb system)

Last edited:
I looked into the Tanks Inc option last week. A new "EFI" tank, their GPA series in tank pump, & new sending unit was $500. Only $100 more than the FCC system. Of course add a few extras like return line and fittings and you're probably another $100 that route plus additional labor to swap out the tank.

The Aeromotive in tank system is $475 by itself without the tank.

No need to apologize Johnny, not your fault. FiTech has something that's a little bit in demand right now. At least their throttle body is available, Holley keeps pushing their Sniper back and doesn't look like it comes with everything (O2 sensor, etc). I'm excited to get this thing going (and so are a few friends of mine that want to see how it works before converting their carb system)
The aeromotive unit also has a higher flow pump if i remember right, it's not a straight comparison. but yes the tanks option is the more economical choice when you compare the 2.

The aeromotive unit also has a higher flow pump if i remember right, it's not a straight comparison. but yes the tanks option is the more economical choice when you compare the 2.

Johnny, you are correct. The Aeromotive phantom comes with a 340 lph and the Tanks Inc. most common option is 255 lph. Tanks Inc. does have a 340 lph pump, but it costs more.

Travis

Of course add a few extras like return line and fittings and you're probably another $100 that route plus additional labor to swap out the tanks

Its almost equal though, you'll need a return for the FCC as well. They call it a vent, but mine flows gallons of fuel per minute through it, I had to replumb the while system since I wasn't expecting it to pump that much fuel out of my vent.

I'm considering using the FiTech 400hp system for my 5.9 Magnum build. My camshaft has a 110 degree lobe separation. I have heard that 110 degrees does not work for fuel injection...is that true with these add on systems? I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I think mine is 110, with about 8 inches of vacuum at idle, everything seems to be working just fine so far with about 200 miles on it.

Ok an update in my setup. I changed the burnt out external fuel pump with another external pump as I didn't want to spend the bucks on the internal pump yet.
I reworked the old fuel pickup so I could use it as a return line instead. I bent the pickup upwards and added about 6 inches of fuel hose upwards to point at top of tank.

I still get the fuel from the bungs I had welded in at the bottom of the tank.

I had a small starting issue that was solved by adjusting the IAC. At the moment I have a very snappy throttle and burn up the tires at will.

Plan to take it for a longer test drive this coming weekend and see how the new tweaks work. I have faith in the system now that I figured out the return line issue.

My camshaft is on the 110 lobe. Whoever fed you that line of crap is likely out in left field.

Its almost equal though, you'll need a return for the FCC as well. They call it a vent, but mine flows gallons of fuel per minute through it, I had to replumb the while system since I wasn't expecting it to pump that much fuel out of my vent.

Have you tried adjusting the float? Or adjusting the pump pulse settings I highlighted somewhere a few pages back?

I'm considering using the FiTech 400hp system for my 5.9 Magnum build. My camshaft has a 110 degree lobe separation. I have heard that 110 degrees does not work for fuel injection...is that true with these add on systems? I can't seem to find a definitive answer.
Im gonna say the lack of definitive answer has to do somewhat with the blanket statement b.s.-ery involved ;) I have heard of one of these EVER going back for low vac, and that was from someone who heard of someone....who ... heard from some guy...who heard from someone else.
my .02

-
Back