Flaming River & OE Steering Wheel

-

Ricks70Duster340

Child of the King
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My steering column is in need of replacement and I was looking at the Flaming River units. My car came with a column shift automatic that I moved to an aftermarket floor shifter. Though I like what I see on the FR website, they specifically say that the OE wheel cannot be used with their steering columns. I have a really nice rallye style steering wheel that I don't want to do away with. Anyone find a way to make the OE wheel work with a FR column?

I fit my 3 spoke (so not a Rally Wheel) on my Flaming River column and there was a large gap (As I recall like 1/2") between the back of the wheel and the Column and the diameter of the back of the column is either smaller or larger than the stock wheel. In order to even fit it you have to file out the key way in the wheel as there isn't one on the FR column. FYI my Column was a 69 Charger drop in and it worked fine for my Dart, all I had to do was shorten the D shaft, but I think the make a drop in for 70 A-body.

I fit my 3 spoke (so not a Rally Wheel) on my Flaming River column and there was a large gap (As I recall like 1/2") between the back of the wheel and the Column and the diameter of the back of the column is either smaller or larger than the stock wheel. In order to even fit it you have to file out the key way in the wheel as there isn't one on the FR column. FYI my Column was a 69 Charger drop in and it worked fine for my Dart, all I had to do was shorten the D shaft, but I think the make a drop in for 70 A-body.
So if I were to get the A body column, you think all I would have to do is to file out the keyway? I know I can rebuild the OE column, but I've never done that and certainly don't have any special tools if some are required. Getting a manual steering column would be ideal since I would not need to use the PS-to-Manual adapter that I now have.

That's what I did and it went right on. I think I used a rat tail file. You mention Rally wheel or is it a "Tuff" wheel?

That's what I did and it went right on. I think I used a rat tail file. You mention Rally wheel or is it a "Tuff" wheel?
It is a rallye
Rallye Steering Wheel.jpg

It is a rallye

I'd hate to tell you to take a file to it. Stuff like that in really nice original condition I tend to leave alone.

Here is what I did, Wheel, adapter and horn are GT Performance and I fit the stock horn "Fratzog" in the center of the GT horn. The leather on this wheel is sweet too. Wheel is stilted up in the picture.

upload_2022-4-5_11-17-25.png

-
Back