Flaming river rack and pinion?

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
Anyone using Flaming river rack and pinion? Been searching, on line, for info on how to set toe in.
Heres what I'm dealing with. I have the driver's side tire pointing straight forward. The passanger side is pointing about 1/2" to 3/4" out. So, trying to figure out how to get them to both point straight.
I don't want drive it 35 mile, like this, (brand new tires) to get the front end aligned
Thanks for any help.

first see is both tie rod ends have the same amount of threads showing. make sure steering wheel is correctly clocked. hotrod should be on concrete or level pavement. grab tape measure and measure the center of the front tires front and back at the highest point your can get the tape. start adjusting both tie rod ends the same amount to turns to bring the front measurement to 1/16" to 1/8" smaller than the back measurement. roll hotrod back about 4 or 5 feet push it forward the same amount. remeasure and readjust until you're happy with it.

Never doing this before. What I'm asking is, how do I adjust the tie rods. I know there is a coupler between the tie rod and the threaded rod coming from the rack and pinion. One has right hand threads and the other left hand threads. Is this what I turn? I just looked at both tie rods and they both appear to be turned into the coupler, all the way. I don't think that's correct.
And thank you for your reply.

Doesn't sound like a std rack set up.Should be tie rods(threaded shaft) with tie rod ends.....no coupler.

1) center rack
2) thread on tie rod ends.( there should be flat spots or a hex near the threaded end of the tie rods to put a wrench on.

Do you have heims/ rod ends with a coupler OR tie rod ends?

Either way.....if rack is centered, the tie rod/tie rod ends should be close to equal length in a preliminary alignment.

Pics of exactly what you have would be helpful. Did you buy complete set up from FR or are you trying to make other parts work with it. You are more than likely going to have to do some fab work to make it work.

This is the rack & pinion that came with the AlterK. Below you will find a pic of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• rack&pinion2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 270
From the looks of it you need to take it apart and cut some of the threaded rod coming out of the rack. This will give you the adjustment you need. Don't get carried away!

So I'll have to take the tie rods off and then unscrew that coupler from the threaded rod. Correct? I noticed that when I turn it, the threaded rod turns also. Is it suppose to do that? Is this going to have to be repeated on the drivers side also?
What ya think, 1/2", 3/4"?
Sorry for all the question, but this is like all Greek to me.

The threaded shaft is the tie rod.....it is on a ball socket (inner tie rod end ) under the rubber boot. It is suppose to turn / rotate. On a standard rack setup, that is how the toe adjustment is made.

Before you do anything....please make sure your rack is centered and the steering wheel turns equal amounts from side to side.

Are you sure the heim/outer tie rod end goes on the top? (looks that way in the picture)

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the info. And you were correct in questioning the placement of the heim/outer tie rod end. I have them installed upside down. Here's a pic from the AlterK manual. Guess I know the first thing I do in the morning.
I'm 68 and it's taken me about 4 1/2 years to get to this point. Just need it aligned. Then I can rip some street up.

Attachments

• outertierod.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 238
Thanks for the info. And you were correct in questioning the placement of the heim/outer tie rod end. I have them installed upside down. Here's a pic from the AlterK manual. Guess I know the first thing I do in the morning.
I'm 68 and it's taken me about 4 1/2 years to get to this point. Just need it aligned. Then I can rip some street up.

wish I was closer....I'd be camped at your doorstep.

Have fun,
Denny

-
Back