Flex Fans:Are they dangerous??

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
I was given a Flex -Lite flex fan I planned on using on my 360,but did some research and read horror stories about them losing blades,cutting into radiators,even fatally injuring people.If these are so dangerous,why do they even sell them?I know my slant six fan will not cut it,so now I have to add a new fan to my needs list :banghead:

I have ran them before with out a problem but I have heard from family members storied from back in the day of the fans coming apart and sending blades slicing through the hoods and what not.

go electric!! best way to stay cool and not make all the fan noise. Also a little less drag on the engine

Any fan is subject to failure. Years ago I learned a lesson. I had a OEM 7 blade with one blade bent a little on the end so I just straightened it out and ran it. A few months later I was all under the hood trying to pinpoint this new vibration. What I found was that blade just barely hanging on at the rivets. I thanked the lord for sparing me that day.
Some of the earlier aluminum flex fans were cracking like soda cans. There were some that would throw tiny bits of aluminum also. I'm sure good and bad ones are still available today. Like they say you get what you pay for.
Bottom line, always replace any damaged fan and inspect any aftermarket fan frequently.

I'm using a one piece rigid blade aluminum fan from the auto parts joint, works good with my slant six shroud-perfect fit.

I also have an electric pusher fan in front of the rad for when I'm at long lights on hot days, helps alot.

Fans are rated to a specific rpm range and as long as you keep it under that rating, you should be fine. The flex fan on my RC is rated to 6k which is fine as the cam is really only good to about 5500 anyway. If a driveshaft broke or the trans let go, I would replace the fan.

I cut halfway through my left thumb while holding the Flex-a-lite stainless steel fan while I was tightening the bolts with the other hand. The wrench slipped and the fan cut into the base of my thumb. I would go electric! toolmanmike

I definitely like the electric fan idea...Every time, and I mean EVERY time I'm working under the hood when the engine is running, I always just stare at the fan for a moment, thinking of what could happen if a blade let go...For some reason, I'm afraid of the fan. I do not like them... LOL....

So can I run just an electric fan alone?It will have to go in front or behind the grille?Isnt putting a electric fan behind the grille more of a pusher fan?

Years ago I had a flex fan let loose, chewed the radiator up and left a dent in the hood.....and destroyed the shroud...

So can I run just an electric fan alone?It will have to go in front or behind the grille?Isnt putting a electric fan behind the grille more of a pusher fan?
A fan in front of the radiator is a pusher and behind the radiator is a puller. If you have a mild engine and no AC a single fan should work ok. Just get the biggest one that will fit. A HP engine needs more cooling so I would recommend a dual fan although it not be necessary. Adjustable thermostats are available that only turn them on when needed or you can use a coolant temp sensor to trip a relay to turn them on. toolmanmike

i had a flex fan blow on a 383 roadrunner at 3000 rpm, went through radiator, shroud and then anti freeze soaked distubtor from it leaking under pressure and car backfired and blew out the cheapy mufflers. sounded like a rod let loose.

I am using a plastic flex fan I got through Summit. So far no problems. I used to have an aluminum fan but the damn blades are like ginsu knives.

Fans are rated to a specific rpm range and as long as you keep it under that rating, you should be fine. The flex fan on my RC is rated to 6k which is fine as the cam is really only good to about 5500 anyway. If a driveshaft broke or the trans let go, I would replace the fan.

I agree.

I found the flex o lite brand to be a good product that comes with an RPM rating/certification sticker.

I've buzzed my -flex-o-lite- past 7000 rpm many many times.

I do remember seeing an OLD cheap-o 'flex fan' and it looked like that green fiberglass roofing material you would use for roofing a small garden shed or something, it just fell apart in in no time in my buddys 318 dart.

I cut halfway through my left thumb while holding the Flex-a-lite stainless steel fan while I was tightening the bolts with the other hand. The wrench slipped and the fan cut into the base of my thumb. I would go electric! toolmanmike

..happened to me too! those suckers are sharp.

..happened to me too! those suckers are sharp.
They are sharp I agree...I also agree they are not one of the better cooling options...if a 18" seven blade thermal clutch fan will fit I would use one of those they move alot of air and don't rob as much horsepower as a flex fan...mine was a seven blade one from a Winnebago with a 440 power plant....enough said

I really like the viscous fan package from Mopar Performance. It works well and looks stock....well....wait for it....because it is. You don't have to worry about whether it will be enough to cool a serious engine or if it will come apart.

-
Back