flex plate to t converter which bolts?

-

360moparjunkie

Reaction score
What bolts can I successfully use for torque converter to flex plate? I have arp bolts in motor and flex plate to crank. I have b&m flex plate to hughes converter. Bolts needed are 7/16-20.

HP I'm guessing will be in neighborhood of 400+hp & maybe a click over 500 with a little juice. Gears are 456 spool w street slicks to be used. I'm concerned about strength.

Can I just use grade 8 bolts given my hp.

Have any of you used grade 8 bolts w similar setup successfully?

Thanks

Grade 8 is fine but the problem with using standard bolts is the head will most likely hit the engine block. Look at stock converter bolts and you'll notice the head is real thin for clearance. Numerous places sell the correct bolts. Summit, JEGS, Mancini's etc....

And make darned sure the bolts you use aren't too long and dimple the converter case.

Ok. So I found t.q. bolts at pep boys 7/16-20 but they are too long. Using my caliper the bolt holes in the converter are very shallow. I don't want to wreck my new converter using too long of bolts.

The block clearance sounds big. Dont want that.

I will check out summit or jeggs. The transmission can still bolt up to motor for now.

Part thickness will vary. Some years ago I had the trans of our 92 Lebarron rebuilt and bought a reman'd TQ to go with. I had to grind just a little ( .03 maybe ) off the end of those bolts.

-
Back