flip the front spring mount to low the ride height

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
on my 70 duster i want to flip the front spring mounts to drop the ride height a little with the ss springs...do need to open up a few holes to do this seems that they are a little wider on 1 end than the other looking at it...id like to do this while im doing the pinion angle.....

ill do may best mikesduster my sons puter is kinda slow with all the music he downloads....but i will try to....not sure if i could take them with my phone and post me but will try that as well.....oh and the before stance of my car is in the av.

Why not buy the correct spring hangers rather than boogering up the sheetmetal? That isn't really a super strong area of the car anyway so I'd rather not hack up the mounting holes when new the correct hangers are available.

andy what mikesduster said where can we get them ...

hay mikesduster firm feel has them just looked at the site 65.00 a set lowers the car 1" thanks andy.....

Hey Earth,

Thanks for the info!!!! Do you have a pic you can post?? I dont know much about your car and combo,can you post some info??

Thanks!!!!

As you can see it is a very small amount you need to slot the holes if you flip the front hanger. I think I used a round file in a drill. Absolutely nothing wrong with saving some cash and just doing the flip.

Many members have done this this mod. It has been proven with thousands of miles and many years of street use.

mikesduster heres my combo

30 over 340 with bme dome tops comes out at about 11.5 comp.
eagle h beam rods
j heads with clean up work 240/140 @500 2.02/1.60 val. comp cam 995 springs
x-cal intake that i matched the ports to the heads with a 950 hp carb
82/86 jets 6.5 pv in the front/no pv in back
mp dizzy locked out timing set at 38 for now/3924 autolite plugs gap @40
comp cam 242/250(i think) soild cam 520/540 lift 16/18 lash with 1 5/8 headers into 3" pipes that go into flow master muff.
727 rev.patt with 9.5 verta 5000 (flash at 4000 on return road) 8 3/4 with 4.57 gears and 28/10.5 m/t slicks
1970 duster 8gal. cell 1/2 fuel line from front to back holley blue pump and reg.
all steel 1 race seat and 1 old stock seat
frame tied
stock brakes front and stock steel wheels

car run pretty good has more init pinion angle is way off going to get it set sometime next wk. +1 deg. with 5deg. shims

going for 5-7 nose down i think..
best today it has ran [email protected] mph with 1.663 60'
on the same night it went a [email protected] with a 1.702 60'

if i can get it to 60 better i think it will surprize me ill try and repost a pic of my car cant find it on this puter....

hope this works/had the qtp on it in this pic......best of [email protected] with a 1.70 60'

70 duster 005.jpg

70 duster 004.jpg

Thanks earth!!!! Good running combo!!!!! And I take it that you already have the SS springs on??? :cheers: Ever think of useing a 6-pack hood???

very minimal amout of material to be removed, I do this on my stock cars and they take a beating and never had any problem in that area......trust me I've tested em a plenty. got hit so hard one night it knocked the rearend out of the car but the spring hangers were still intact and the frame was not bent, raced the car a week later and whoo hoo it was much faster but of course I wasnt afraid to scratch it anymore. it ripped the springs from the car folded the rearend in half and ripped the rear spring hangers from the car, springs were sheared clean where they meet the front spring hangers, shock's were broken in half rear bumper sheared off......the car still lives and races. :cheers:

oop's.JPG

yes mikesduster i plan to get a glass 6pack hood and paint it flat black with the 340 call outs on it and have the car painted back to the orig. color taht it is...sometime soon i hope....and yes i have the ss springs on the car already..your car looks great aswell i see you have a 6 pack on it...whats the combo and what does it run

hay mike ill get them posted for you ill have to take 1 of the ss springs installed..but i will say the car looks alot better then before sets alot lowernow the front is kinda high..go fig. hahahaill try to get the 1's i have on tonight...

The hangers from Firm Feel bolt right in without hacking on the mounts and they have the extra eye bolt hole so you can lower the car. They have a full selection of hangers that cover all of the ABE cars as well as a few for FMJs

The hangers from Firm Feel bolt right in without hacking on the mounts and they have the extra eye bolt hole so you can lower the car. They have a full selection of hangers that cover all of the ABE cars as well as a few for FMJs

Quick question, when you use these lowering spring hangers, does it change the pinion angle any? I have SS springs on my car and it sits too high, so I'd like to lower it...

Yes it does James because you are raising the front of the spring.

Okay so when it does change the pinion angle, does this cause any binding in the drivetrain, or cause any damage to the axle, pinion bearing, excessive U-joint wear? Does it change the angle THAT much to do any harm? Don't we have a little room to play with?

-
Back