Flip top conversion

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A couple of different members have asked about the flip top gas cap that's on my Dart, so I thought I would start a thread and post some pictures.

First off, I can't claim any glory or disgust from this conversion, the previous owner did it and I have just left it that way. What he did was cut a stock gas cap apart and then used 3 screws to attach it to the flip top cap. It is NOT a functional flip top, and is purely cosmetic. The cap twists off just like any other A body gas cap.

Here are some pictures.

engine004.jpg

engine010.jpg

engine012.jpg

It is kind of unique and earns some comments at shows. Some are good, others not so good. Purists can kiss my ***!

Purists can kiss my ***!

Thanks for the pics Brian and I couldn't agree with you more! :bootysha:

I love a beautifully restored car but they are not for everyone. There is NOTHING worse than someone trying to shove THEIR thoughts and views down someone else's throat!

Again I think your car looks AWESOME! Individuality is what makes this hobby ROCK!!!!!!

Hell, my car is a 67 originally /6 car, that has had multiple engines, and now sports a 68 grill, tail panel and tail lights, but still has the 67 rear bumper (with reverse lights)!! I have even heard people commenting on how the ralley wheels don't belong on that car.

If someone wants to nit pick my car, I could start a book.

Your car is awesome! What's great about this site is from /6 to Pro Stock Hemi, rusty & primed to show quality, Ect...Ect...Ect, WE LOVE MOPARS!

I think you car looks great. I totally agree, I love cars that people individualize and build the way they want. My Charger (Im doing the bodywork right now) is gonna be J6 Go Green, not a 69 color and Im expecting comments on that when its done. But I have never seen a Go Green 69 before, so I think it will be one of a kind!
In mopar muscle a few years ago, Steve Dulcich installed a 68 B'cuda flip top gas cap on his dart, and I thought it looked cool then. Now he did a little welding and body work to make it functional, but I think yours is cool the way it is, a simple mod that works!

Great looking Dart,
Jason

what does it take to make one of these functional on a dart?I imagine the indentation of the baracuda quater is not avalible alone?I like the way yours is done,but i threw away my original filler neck,and gas cap,because i wanted the whole set up from a baracuda for the 71 dart,lol

I have grand plans to make it functional when I do the bodywork. Probably will have to either make the indention in the existing quarter, or make one out of sheet metal and weld it in.

There are a couple of notchback barracudas in a yard near my home with poor rear quarters but the indentation for the gas cap is good. Let me know if you would be interested.
Rod

I think the better way would be to do it like in the Mopar Muscle article. If you graft in the Barracuda "dip" from the fender you'll probably have to shorten the filler tube to make up for the depth of the grafted in section. Also looks like less sheet metal work to follow the MM method.

here is a picture of my 64 GT that I put a flip lid off of a Barracuda on it. I will dig up a better photo of it.

left rear gt.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of a filler caps that we'd used. And they lock!

shootout011.jpg

gascap.jpg

I agree, don't leave us hanging. I've been pestering everyone trying to get info on doing this.

I'm trying to find a link. If I can't, I'll try to find the mag to let you know what issue it is. Don't think I could scan & post the article without running into copyright problems for the site. When I find something I'll let you know. If anybody else knows what issue it was, feel free to jump in.

I'm trying to find a link. If I can't, I'll try to find the mag to let you know what issue it is. Don't think I could scan & post the article without running into copyright problems for the site. When I find something I'll let you know. If anybody else knows what issue it was, feel free to jump in.

I was trying to find a link too, but I dont think they have that article on their website. It was a few years back, when Dulcich was doing all the tech articles. He had a 69 dart and in that issue he installed a fiberglass hood, added the fuel cap, and changed the wheel/tire combo. I remember in the article he had to put a recess in the body on each side of the cap (hinge side and pop-up button side), he didnt use any donor sheet metal.
I'll flip through some back issues to see if I can find it.

Jason

I was trying to find a link too, but I dont think they have that article on their website. It was a few years back, when Dulcich was doing all the tech articles. He had a 69 dart and in that issue he installed a fiberglass hood, added the fuel cap, and changed the wheel/tire combo. I remember in the article he had to put a recess in the body on each side of the cap (hinge side and pop-up button side), he didnt use any donor sheet metal.
I'll flip through some back issues to see if I can find it.

Jason

Yeah, that's the article. I've been searching on-line too & haven't found it. I know I have the magazine somewhere. If I find it, maybe I can scan it & email it to those interested. (Just kidding, guys. No way would I violate any copyright laws. Wink Wink) I think I'll have some time tomorrow. I should be able to find it.

I found a flip top cap for the new Challenger on eBay. Price was $119 & it was a factory part. If it could be made to work it might be worth a try. Being a factory part the chrome & quality should be acceptable. Probably better than the repops out there. It also has a chrome ring around it that might help keep body mods to a minimum. Just saw a NOS cap for on eBay for $495. cough cough I'll try to find the link to the new challenger cap.

I found another one for $195, item # 110308170771, But I'm sure I saw it for $119 somewhere!

OK! I didn't find the $119 SRT fuel cap, but I did finally find one for $129.99 buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...ryZ33655QQihZ012QQitemZ220337078928QQtcZphoto

Haven't had a chance to look for the old magazine article. Had a kid home sick from school yesterday & this morning I think I've got whatever he had!

I picked up my flip-top cap...w/o the FUEL on it...for $10 at a flea market...I love redneck bargain hunting...now to just make it work sometime when I'm 'home'

Making the flip top fuel cap functional on any Dart etc is easy. I put one on my former Australian VG hardtop and all I did was built up the seal on the underside of the flip top with rubber so that it would seal against the filler neck when closed. Worked fine. Another way is to use a special flip top fuel cap adaptor offered by some Australian vendors. If anyone wants to know, I'll search out and post the link for the adaptor.

sr6.jpg

My buddy here by me has a 71 Swinger with a funcional flip to cap from a 67 Cuda. All he did was take off the filler tube and drill holes so the cap could mount on it straight. He then just made a spacer that fits around the filler tube on the body side and slid it back in and bolted it down. He has enough clearance to open it without hitting the quarter. I think the spacer was about 3/8ths thick. It sticks out a little but looks right and works. If he ever decides to go back to stock all he has to do is get another filler tube, take off the flip cap and filler tube he has on the car now and bolt it the stock one with a stock cap and that is it. No alteration to the car to do it this way.
Chas.

I may do this to my Dart as I have a flip cap just waiting for a new home.

parts 003.JPG

Fish,
thats a great looking cap and installation.
where can I get one of those?
You have now given me a second option to the one pictured below. It welds in flush with the panel and is a push to release pop-up sytle.
Andrew

pop-up gas cap.jpg

My buddy here by me has a 71 Swinger with a funcional flip to cap from a 67 Cuda. All he did was take off the filler tube and drill holes so the cap could mount on it straight. He then just made a spacer that fits around the filler tube on the body side and slid it back in and bolted it down. He has enough clearance to open it without hitting the quarter. I think the spacer was about 3/8ths thick. It sticks out a little but looks right and works. If he ever decides to go back to stock all he has to do is get another filler tube, take off the flip cap and filler tube he has on the car now and bolt it the stock one with a stock cap and that is it. No alteration to the car to do it this way.
Chas.

I may do this to my Dart as I have a flip cap just waiting for a new home.

Would it be possible to get some pics of this?

Ratman1956,
Dont want to step on this thread with my stuff but since you asked I will try to get a pic or two. What I can tell you is this guy took a piece of aluminum that was the same size as the outer diameter of the filler neck tube that was round like a large washer if you will. It is the same size as the outer diameter of the filler tube and also matches the flange of the filler tube in size where the screws go through the flange. What he did was cut this to about 3/8ths thick and file and sand it to take off any rough edges. He then drilled the flip cap and flange of the filler tube to match the holes in the quarter panel that are there for the filler tube to bolt on. He then just used bolts and nuts and just slid them through the flip to cap backside, spacer, filler tube and bolted it all down to the quarter. Like I said. It just looks like a large 3/8ths thick washer between the quarter and back of the filler tube. This is done to allow the flip cap to open without hitting the quarter.

I did see and article in an older Mopar Performance mag some time ago that had the guy cutting notches into the front and rear of the hole on the quarter and welding pieces of metal in to make two pockets to allow the cap to open. This looked nice but if you have a done car as I do cutting and welding is not an option. I am wanting to try what my buddy did as I have a flip cap in waiting. I would like to know more myself about the modern flip cap on that Valiant on the first page of this thread. If this could be done without cutting or welding it would be a nice alternative as well. I will try to get a pic of that flip cap on the 71 Swinger.
Chas.

GoFish -
Here's a link to the keyed removable flush caps shown by '67gtx':
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/aeroscrewin.php

Although the website says "Aircraft Spruce", the same company is also know as Irwin International and has sales locations in Corona, CA, Peachtree City, GA, and Brantford, ON, Canada.
These caps need to be turned down just slightly to fit inside the stock fuel filler ID and also require a spacer behind them in order to be made flush with the exterior sheetmetal. You'll also need to cut your filler tube and connect the neck on the cap to the filler tube with some fuel tubing.

Here's another link for an alternative consideration:
http://www.joesracing.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=738

The fuel filler caps from Joes Racing are much larger diameter and will mount on the fender rather than inside the stock fuel filler recess.

-
Back