Floorpan

-
Thanks. Looks better with primer on it.

DSCN0492.jpg

Found an awesome, local deal on a whole AMD floor for a 67-74 A-body, and trunk floor for the same which will get used on my actual 69 A-body later. Now I just need to get in touch with someone who can fill me in on some of the things I'll need to look out for when smashing this thing into the early A.

Found an awesome, local deal on a whole AMD floor for a 67-74 A-body, and trunk floor for the same which will get used on my actual 69 A-body later. Now I just need to get in touch with someone who can fill me in on some of the things I'll need to look out for when smashing this thing into the early A.
Good luck. I tried some 67-69 trunk floor extensions in my 66. No dice! Not even close.

I'm doing pans in my '65 Valiant now. I got super lucky and bought a used left side pan from a member here. I bought the ABS pans for the right side. They look like they will fit pretty good.

I put AMD half pans in a buddies '69 valiant recently. That car is still in my garage and looking at the two cars side by side I'd have to say making the later pan work in a '66 and down car would be a ton of work. The tunnel is a lot smaller in the early cars and the seat mounting tabs are spaced differently. The floor is shaped a lot differently at the seat mounts as well. I'm sure it can be done. It's just going to be some work. The larger tunnel might be nice for bell housing clearance but I'm thinking you will see some fitment issues at the torsion bar cross member.

If you decide to make the later full pan work let us know how it goes. I was considering doing just that with mine until I found the left side I mentioned above.

For anyone who's put a floor pan from a 67+ A-body into an early A, What are the biggest problems? I've seen some pictures from old threads here, but they are usually small or lack detail. Our floor is pretty much gone and needs to be replaced and I'd rather not piece meal one together. I would probably need to do halves, or cut a full one down the middle just to get it inside anyway.
I did a floor pan replacement from a 72 to my 66. I did end up redoing the fronts since they were a bit weak and I needed solid metal . what was surprising was the darn spotwelds on 99% of the floor pan lines up with the 66's. the seat mounting hump in the 67 up is different than the 66's and I cut out a square section to weld in new stuff. drain holes are a bit different and ribbing is different. what's weird is I expected the floor pan to be wider than the 66's but it wasn't

here is the rear half with the seat humps cut out to level it for 66 seat setup.

DSCF2093.JPG

DSCF2094.JPG

the back view of the floor pan before stitch weldin it all the way in.
DSCF2095.JPG

front autobody specialties floor pans going in to replace the crunchy front pan, the only 72 part kept in the front was the hump
DSCF2096.JPG

and the hump fit fairly good
DSCF2107.JPG

right before I added the inner bucket seat support plates and finished welding the hump in solid. I did have a gap at the crossmember but that was the same as the 4 door parts car so I didn't worry about the transition from flat after the torsion bar locaton to hump.
DSCF2456.jpg

Last edited:
If you don’t need a full floorpan, Autobody Specialties (IIRC) sells fronts and rears for early A’s that fit quite well with a bit of trimming over where they fit over the inner sill. If using a front and rear pan, it leaves about 6-8 inches of original floorpan between the two. I used a less expensive 67-later pan in a 65 Dart Convertible years ago as they were all that was available at the time. Lots of work to get them to fit right, especially since the early pans are now available.

You gotta link?

Try autobodyspecialt.com
I had to enter it by hand since I don’t know to copy it on my phone. They are in CT

The problem many of us have is that those panels (not complete pans) aren't enough to fix the floor. They are only providing the four common areas. It would be great if they'd increase the die to include the part between the front and rear pan "sections" the provide but they don't and so they are pretty much useless for me. Could I muddle though and end up with something that "looked like a floor"? Probably, but it's going to be a whole lot easier, for me, to start with a whole floor since i need the whole floor anyway.

I went as far as to send autometaldirect an email and they said the market doens't justify the R&D for provide early A floors. But they will provide parts for some very obscure vehicles or vehicles "I" would not say had a huge following.

Anyway, I've ordered the AMD full 67-74 floorpan from a local source which should arrive in a week or so. Not sure when I'll get to installing it, but I'll try to document my attempt when it happens as best I can.

Try autobodyspecialt.com
I had to enter it by hand since I don’t know to copy it on my phone. They are in CT

their fronts and rears are pretty nice. BUT they don't do the normal under the seat part and unfortunately that's where almost all of my early A's need the metal. that's why I went with a 72 floor pan for the rear and put in new front pans from autobodyspecialties (and a patch where the outer seat mount went. I figure 7" in the rear of the front and another 7" in the rear and they would have a really nice 4 piece floor pan minus the hump.

The problem many of us have is that those panels (not complete pans) aren't enough to fix the floor. They are only providing the four common areas. It would be great if they'd increase the die to include the part between the front and rear pan "sections" the provide but they don't and so they are pretty much useless for me. Could I muddle though and end up with something that "looked like a floor"? Probably, but it's going to be a whole lot easier, for me, to start with a whole floor since i need the whole floor anyway.

When I ordered my repair pans from ABS I asked why they don't make them each 2 inches longer to cover the 3" between their repair pans. His answer was they don't make them. He speculated that the expense to make the dies bigger (or replace them) was not cost effective for the manufacture they order them from.

As far as the 3 inches or so that they don't cover, Its a simple fab job with some 14 Ga. Or 16 Ga. Its pretty much flat with a slight roll and a 90 Deg. bend on the rocker side and a slight roll on the tunnel side. I'm going to make that piece for mine this weekend. There are some ribs in it that I think will be fairly simple to duplicate. I plan to make a buck for those ribs with a piece of hard wood and a router. Then I'll just use a piece of rod to hammer the 14 Ga. into the wood buck then cut to size and bent to fit. We shall see if that works. If not, I'll leave those ribs out.

Cuda416.....when you do the AMD pan, will you make a pic documentary of how it goes? I've got a 65 Barracuda with crusty floors, and wouldn't mind doing the whole pan from a later A body, like you are planning. I wouldn't be opposed to splicing in a section of a later A body lower firewall to make the trans tunnel bigger, and also match the floor pan.

Cuda416.....when you do the AMD pan, will you make a pic documentary of how it goes? I've got a 65 Barracuda with crusty floors, and wouldn't mind doing the whole pan from a later A body, like you are planning. I wouldn't be opposed to splicing in a section of a later A body lower firewall to make the trans tunnel bigger, and also match the floor pan.

I'd be happy to do this. it won't be pretty, this will be the first floor I've done. The thing just showed up yesterday and we've got a bunch of other stuff to do first, so I can't way when it will get done, but yes, I'll do my best to document the process.

-C

Thanks. Finding all of the spot welds to drill out when you get the sealer removed is the worst part. When you get to the pinch weld at the firewall, cut your old floor off below the seam. That way, you can get to the spot welds on the pinch weld from the bottom side to drill them out.

I'm getting ready to do the rears in my 64 soon. I bought a rear left 1/4, but my rear right is just as bad, found a complete good floor up in Utah that my buddy will bring down for me when he goes to spring fling. This will be my first replacement, my fronts are good, so think I will cut the donor floor in half about where the 1/4 pan I got is cut. Deciding if I should cut around the vert brackets for the rams or take the bracks off and re weld them to the new donor.
20190406_115658.jpg
20190406_115709.jpg
20190406_115724.jpg

I'm getting ready to do the rears in my 64 soon. I bought a rear left 1/4, but my rear right is just as bad, found a complete good floor up in Utah that my buddy will bring down for me when he goes to spring fling. This will be my first replacement, my fronts are good, so think I will cut the donor floor in half about where the 1/4 pan I got is cut. Deciding if I should cut around the vert brackets for the rams or take the bracks off and re weld them to the new donor.View attachment 1715316304 View attachment 1715316305 View attachment 1715316306

Thanks for posting such good pictures of the factory floor. These will help me if I decide to mod the AMD floor. I may have to regardless but it might be nice to just leaf it and use later seats.

-
Back