Foam

-

volaredon

Reaction score
Working on my 85 d150. Adding ac to a truck that came from the factory without.
I have 3 factory ac plenum boxes apart. All have bad foam on the recirc door. Other doors within are fine.
I found a PN for the original recirc door, but every place I look it shows "discontinued".
What kind of foam can I use to replace the original?
Plan is to scrape what little remains of the original foam and glue on some replacement.
The door itself (metal) behind the foam seems solid.
I did have to pry them all out, were all stuck at bottom pivot pins to plastic box. I bead blasted the shaft stubs to clean all the rust there so they swing easily. I have enough parts n pieces to build up 2 HVAC boxes out of the 3 that I dismantled. I have a complete box worth of junk parts but not all from the same heater box. One bad heater core,one bad evaporator, one busted housing, one busted motor side cover, one rotten recirc door,but not all from the same heater box. All had at least 1 bad non reusable part. And if I can't refoam at least 1 recirc door, I'm stuck.

I have a Mopar on for the recirc door
4163715 in case someone might have one (or 2!!!!) laying around collecting dust????

I have used hardware store foam with the adhesive on one side, with similar dimensions as the original pieces. Dirt cheap & works great for just that kind of sealing.

I GOT a "MEGA" HEATER KIT FROM DMT for this truck already, their site specifically says they don't carry a kit for the doors within. Says he gets asked this all the time. Right in the site with the description of what does come in the kit..
For $80 though you'd think that would be enough dough to include them though.

I have used hardware store foam with the adhesive on one side, with similar dimensions as the original pieces. Dirt cheap & works great for just that kind of sealing.
What hardware store foam? The 1" wide stuff? I just got back from Menards they didn't have anything wide enough to cover this door.
Anybody familiar with Reflectix? I do have a partial roll of that here from a past project

My local (family owned for over 60 years) hardware store has 4 or 5 different sizes to choose from. If I was not doing a concourse restoration, I would use that stuff & cut it to fit my needs. I'm pretty sure someone makes the "correct" factory type foam but like I said, the hardware store stuff works just as well & no one will see it anyway.
What hardware store foam? The 1" wide stuff? I just got back from Menards they didn't have anything wide enough to cover this door.
Anybody familiar with Reflectix? I do have a partial roll of that here from a past project

Is it the flat foam that seals the door? If so, there are foam sheets at WalMart or Hobby Lobby in the craft section that work well for air doors. 3M spray headliner adhesive will secure it.

Yup. Flat foam about 1/4 - 5/16 thick.
I already have a spray can of that glue .. use it all the time around here for different things

Doesn't need to be "concours" by any stretch.
Just needs to work. This foam is hardly seen, especially when it's in "max" a/c position. When in regular a/c position and maybe for "heat"/"vent" /"defrost" might be slightly visible thru the grate in the plenum at the far passenger side. Never really paid attention to that in all the 80s trucks I've had over the years

When I did the heater box on my 77 I got the thick black stuff from hobby lobby. It isn't quite as thick and is a denser foam but works great and the black can't be seen. If yours is almost 5/16 you may need two layers but it should still work well.

Ive been trying to decide on something based on what I'm looking at from mc master carr.
They ship real quick, and have always done me good, just they have too many to pick from .
I have the door in my hand with a tape measure it is 1/4" on each side of the metal core door in the unworn section.

i went to the upholstery shop and got the thin foam from him and put on my doors. worked great. sealed up with no problem.

No upholstery shop in the area. Tried hobby lobby and nothing. Lowe's, Menards, 2 different mom and pop hardware stores, zip.
I ended up going with something from McMaster Carr, $77 for 2, 12x12 squares, $10.some of that is shipping,.... Ridiculous for as little as foam weighs.... But got tired of going store to store and coming up empty. A lot of what McMaster showed said for sealing ac systems so I thought I'd even try asking at a local HVAC place, got the deer in the headlights response there too.

-
Back