Folks and cars

-
I get the same ration of crap from my mom and girlfriend about my 68 fastback.
1) A two door isn't practical with a 3 1/2 year old.
Bullshit! He can climb back to his kiddieseat. I can fit his balance bike in the back, or the trunk as needed. It's something my son and I can work on together. So what if he only has little toy tools and pretends to take out invisible screws. We are having fun together.
2) An old car isn't reliable, "Why did you buy that piece of ****?"
Bullshit! When something breaks I can fix it. CHEAPLY! I paid what? $300 for a nice radiator for my mopar. When I had to replace some chickenshit stuff on my 2001 540i (a thermostat and water pump) I had to have a shop do it and it cost upwards of $1000, PLUS the radiators on those kick the bucket every 100,000 miles or so ($800 or so). :finga: to BMW. My mom still has her 98 528i and her maintenance bills are THE SUCK!
3) You're wasting money on that car when you could be buying me jewelry.
Well honey, if you weren't making monthly payments of $383 (nifty eh?) plus $93 a month on insurance (I pay $41 a month), plus $150+ a month on your dumbass iPhone, you'd be able to buy yourself all kinds of crap. I spend less every month fixing my car up the way I want than a new car costs, and at the end of it, I'll have something to show for it PLUS good memories for my son for the time we spend together on it.
4) It's not safe, no airbags et cetera...
So I should live my life in fear? I prefer to ENJOY life and accept the risks involved in doing so, whether it's in my mopar, or on my motorcycle. Motorcycles don't have airbags either, OR SEATBELTS!!! OH NO!
5) ***** ***** ***** *****...
I've stopped listening to the women in my life because they very judgmental and aren't supportive of my choices.
----ANYBODY CAN ' buy " one!!!!!

Wow Now thats somethin.. After I posted that I figured id get a rash of ****.

Who would of thunk that we all got the same friend's?

Thanks again folks.

Full forged, full roller. gonna be riding on 28/15.50/15 Bias slicks , with a Full cage and 8-71 or spray...

Going pretty good considering the car is still 5 hours away in my garrage in Tahoe...

Im just stacking parts and waiting for time off enough to go pick her up!

Yes, much easier to upgrade a car than a girl, I think cheaper in the long run also.......

LOL Yeah, probably so!

Just wait till she wants you to hang new curtains and use that one back (not interested)

I will definitely keep that in mind! Like the saying goes, "what comes around, goes around." Right?

you will also find finding a woman that understands you and your passions in life will be HUGE! they never understand they will nOT be able to change you , NOR them.

you have to answer to yourself, NOT what your co workers or so called friends think or want. be true to yourself and don't apologize for it. you are smart enough already to realize all this.

That's the tough part, finding a girl that has the same passion for cars. I'm sure they're out there....somewhere.

if I were a writer, I would write a funny book about : old car hobby and wives ( women in general)! ha

I once heard: here is my list of what I want (demand) for Christmas. you spend $$ on your cars. $600 total is not much. by the way, I don;'t care to hear what you want, it would just be tools or car s tuff. I will give you something we can BOTH use.

YOU only need ONE old car.

grow up, this car stuff is juvenile.

NO I don't care to go to the cruise in with you. old cars stink. so what if you buy me the biggest burger there. don't care to associate with THOSE people, we have nothing in common.

why don't you buy a Vette. O K so you bought a Vette, I don't care to go anywhere that is "car related"!

why don't you buy a convertible? O K so yiou bought a convertible. you don't really think I will ride in it with the top down, the wind blowing the heck out of my hair, noisy too!

why do you need more than ONE old car!???? ( she likes that point!)

what if it breaks down IF I go somewhere with you iN THAT!???????

where is the A C ??????

noisy!?????? why?????? is it broken?????

if you LOVED me, you would not spend tha time on that car!

I have things around here that needs done..... you spend ALL that time on your car.....just because you work 8 hours a day and come home and ride 4-5 head every afternoon, YOU need to spend ALL your time training horses, NOT working on your car>

the list is long!!......... wow! I miss her!!!????? not!

but it is cheaper in the long run, to just keep her and put up wit it all.... do as I say, NOT as I do...............

but it is cheaper in the long run, to just keep her and put up wit it all.... do as I say, NOT as I do...............

The grey hairs that remain on your head with keeping her AREN'T cheaper!

Old cars = :burnout:

Evil wife = :wack:

you guys tend to blame women for hating cars and I understand the majority here are guys. But there are a such things as car girls and there are such things as Non- car guys.

Non car guys can be as bad as the women you are all describing.

It's a guy who cant even change a tire who would has the nerve to look at a 68 dart and ask " how much could you get for that on ebay" This is a when nobody ever said anything at all about it being for sale.

He says: "get something dependable" ....yet my slant six starts with two pumps no matter how cold it is.

Another comment is " why don't you get rid of that dinosaur and get something nice"

even another comment " where is the radio"

NON- car PEOPLE will never get it.

My wife once told me to stop buying cars that don't run because she's tired of helping me push them around the yard, HAHA. She's great though, she knows I'll be spending my Saturdays in the garage.

yes Miss Rainy lets face it majority of women are not "car girls", and yep plenty of guys that have no desire to get their hands dirty with a car, horse, garden, or whatever!
I have to think maybe the passions we find in life are genetic!?? a kid never exposed to mechanical stuff may never find he has a true love of it.... same as a kid raised in the Bronx, may have a passion for wide open spaces, dirt, horses and their poop!???? but never have the opportunity to discover this .

and you are right... some people will never get it!

I get jealous every time I read one of these threads. My retirement dream was to become a 'real' car guy and restore my own Duster. Thirty year dream. Reality sank in and I realized I would never be able to learn how to do it. Too old and too chicken. So I am paying. Yes out the nose, but my shop is really letting me be involved. Sure when its done I will be able to do the routine care and take the car to shows, but she really won't be like you guys/gal's cars. Yes, I will know what was done, where the parts came from, why something was done... how much it cost :-( but it won't be by my hands. At least my neighbors and friends are as anxious as me and my wife to have it done.

Dennis

I guess I got really lucky because my wife never complains about me spending time or money on the Dart. Granted I am taking years to build it, one step at a time which is why it still needs paint. She knows it's my hobby. She loves to travel the world and that is her/our hobby together. If we didn't travel so much my Dart would be fully restored by now and that's okay. I respect her hobby she respects mine. She doesn't help me work on it but loves to ride in it and go to the drag strip.

I don't hang out with the people that think I'm a "grease monkey" because I work on that old piece of junk.

The real question is - why do you care?

^^^^^^^^ So well said!-------LMFAO---------------------
It must be my generation but everyone I will talk to knows I am a car guy and they don't say a word. All my friends are car builders, and we share stories and common interests. My wife supports me, she was the one who suggested I buy my Barracuda while I was in the middle of a Comet build. You can't choose your family but sounds like you need a new set of "car guy" friends. Ignore the noise and keep your eye on the prize. The truth is most folks who look at our cars want one but can't afford it and can't build it, but I guarantee you that they have a hobby/vice that is using the time/treasure they could use for the car deal, they just have different priorities.
My rant over now too-----------cheers--------DR---------:burnout:

I am so lucky to not have to deal with this.

First, there's my co-workers. They've never seen my car but they have seen me messing with nearly enough parts that they could put it all together in their head. They're all curious and ask, "what's going on with your hot rod?" or "how's that cuda coming?"

Secondly, my wife isn't terribly excited about my car. She's not into that particular model or even Mopars at large but she knows I am passionate about my 69 Fastback and that's all that matters to her. Even though we've gone through a lot of headache (sometimes literally) with the car being mold contaminated and all of the petrochemicals you have to go through to clean up and street-ready such a project, she appreciates all my hard work trying to make it safe enough to store inside and, hopefully, for her to ride in one day. Bottom line: she loves me so she supports me and that's really all there is to it!

First off.

Rainy-This post was not about women. I dig that there are still a few ladys willing to get their hands dirty. You must be a rare bird, and more power to ya. I would think its even worse for a lady in a mans world/garrage...

My pops has a funny story about a women he courted for a long time only to have her arive at his house and walk right past his pride and joy bike. He says he casually mentioned "you see that bike out front?" She responded "yeah I hate those things.."
His response was "Well I can tell me and you got nothing to talk about you should just leave."

Anywho Cheers to everyone for helping us folks get our dreams on the road.

And yeah, Im gonna drive the pants off this mo fo MOPAR and show those suckers in the 100k cars whats what and whos who...

Had a customer when I sold parts who was putting together a couple of Chevies. He had a 350 powered 80's Monte Carlo and a 454 powered '70's pick up.

Didn't see him for a little while after selling him an intake and a carb for the pick up. A few months later he walks in the door needing a multi-switch for a Mitsu SUV. I asked him how the projects were coming. He said he sold them both.

Seems his new girlfriend took a dislike to the fact he was putting his money into his toys and convinced him to sell them. She told him, "aren't you a little old to be playing with cars?" He's in his mid 20's. Unfortunately, the kid was so whipped he listened.

Had a customer when I sold parts who was putting together a couple of Chevies. He had a 350 powered 80's Monte Carlo and a 454 powered '70's pick up.

Didn't see him for a little while after selling him an intake and a carb for the pick up. A few months later he walks in the door needing a multi-switch for a Mitsu SUV. I asked him how the projects were coming. He said he sold them both.

Seems his new girlfriend took a dislike to the fact he was putting his money into his toys and convinced him to sell them. She told him, "aren't you a little old to be playing with cars?" He's in his mid 20's. Unfortunately, the kid was so whipped he listened.

that is SADdddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

my other world, Quarter Horses, its a fact that 95 % of horse fold marry horse folks...... a lot of time, work, and $$ can get involved... land, barn, stock, truck, trailer, tach........ etc

in the car world, not the same situation, BUT a man ( or woman) needs their dream, to have their passion, other wise, life is all work and (trying) to raise some kids???? o k so we won't take anything for our kids...... you get my point????

Most people do not understand the driver-road relationship. To them, cars are for mindless transport, and old cars are for car shows and tv auctions.

For you guys with lady problems, let some other sucker put up with their crap. The more time you waste tolerating the less you have to find a good one. And they ARE out there.

-
Back