For those "youngsters" out there from us over 40

-
I went to High School from 1988 - 1991. 3 on the tree was already pretty rare at that time. Not everyone then knew what it was.

And what about only getting gas on even or odd days and running out sitting in the 2 block line to the gas station,

That only happened on certain days in 1976 (oil embargo) right? I was 3 years old at the time. One of my earliest memories was my dad and a neighbor pushing the car up to the gas pump. It's one of my earliest memories at ever, the other one was falling out of a moving car.

WOW. This thread is great. I'm 53 and can relate to just about everything that has been said. Sure does bring my past rushing back to me. I miss those days!

I love these threads,channel surf? back in my day we only had one tv and only had 4 channels and i could watch whatever my parents were watching,did not have a color tv till the mid 70s. My parents beat the crap outta me [seemed like daily] when i was bad, I did have a stereo in my room [i love my music loud] my dad would yell for me to turn it down [this would happen several times] finally i would go out and say crist dad if i turn it down any more i might as well turn it off my dad said "bout time you got it". If you even thought of taking a calculator to school and got caught you were suspendid now its required,my boys graduated years ago and can't read a tape measure below 1/4 inch. Ilove it when you metion a band or tv show from our day and young folks say who's that. God i feel old now i know how my parents feel. My oldest son asked why us old schoolers tear down an engine and spend time and money for more horsepower when we could go out and get a new car and chip it [tune it] and get the same result for less money spent,my reply was the sence of achevment and pride in something we did with our own two hands,they just don't get it.

My car and i are the same age, both born in '62. I started learning to drive in a car with no engine being pulled with a chain! My first car I bought for $10 and the engine was in pieces in the trunk!:wack: My mom thought that would be safe. Ha ha! by the time I had it running I had $65 in it total. The engine had sat open with water in the cylinders, some of the pistons were 1/4" shorter than others because corrosion had eaten the top that bad! Some cylinders were pitted 1/8" deep. Not sure how it ran, thinking back, but it did. Didn't have money to do things "right" so we did what we could, usually the hard way, and made do.

When I was getting close to old enough to drive my dad told me "if you want to drive you have to pay all the costs to do so. That included insurance, gas, increased maintainance, tires, and if I damaged the car guess who fixed it, me or I had to arrange to have it fixed and pay for it. I was almost always careful with my parrents car but I beat my first car mercilessly, and that was about the end of it. I grew up with "if you want something, you EARN it"!

But we could smoke outside our high school--during class breaks.

We could buy a 1970 car with a hot engine for a few hundred bucks. At age 16 we could drive 24 hours a day-if our parents didn't mind. We did burnouts out of the school parking lots--all the time leaving school for the day-today that is a serious traffic citation, well before it was too but cops were cool the first time they caught you or even the 2nd time, lol

Kids have it really tough today when it comes to law and order. They got anti bullying laws now. They got gay friendly meet and greets at high school and if you laugh at them you might get charge with a crime--as an adult.

I'm sure happy I do not have to go to public high school now. I had fun back in high school, today I be jailed

1972, N. Fl. I'm 21 and driving my 70 RR and pull into a Sunoco station durring a "gas war" and fill up with Sunoco 260 for $019.9 per gallon. FACT!

I'm 17 1/2 and other than a couple, this doesn't apply to me. I'm old fashion. I never had a game consol in my life, it took me till I was 15 to get an ipod, basic cable sucks, I still use the library, I'm always out in the barn messing with something & I refuse to on a "celular wireless devise" That means no 24/7 contact with friends & no texting. I didn't even bother getting a facebook account till last year. Heck I collect vintage toy trains for crying out loud!!! So in short, not all kids these days have it easy.

Plus you should try taking the bs tests we get now a days -__-

LMAO, I am 42, and I tell my 14 year old all the time he's got it made. He has a bigger tv then we do in the living room, we shared 1 console tv with aluminum foil on the antenna, to turn the channel we used a pliers. I remember when we got our Atari 2600, we had it made. I wouldn't trade these kid's today for anything, life was alot simpler, and we had a blast! The only thing I wish I could do is go back to the 80's and buy some of the car's I could have got, I would be a rich man right now!

The amazing thing is the scale of effort to migrate majority of the population to high density cities, full of worthless consumer junk and concrete yielding the lack of a diverse stimulating outdoor spacious environmental world of wonder and all the freedoms for children to grow up in. Forcing them to rely on passification brain rotting tv shows, chinese made electronic distractions and children's psychiatric medications all considered the developing youth's norm.

It is creating a new society of "educated" garbage dependent simpletons.

1972, N. Fl. I'm 21 and driving my 70 RR and pull into a Sunoco station durring a "gas war" and fill up with Sunoco 260 for $019.9 per gallon. FACT!
In the Spring of 1974 , I remember seeing Chevron Premium (~98 MON octane) selling for $0.56 / gallon ... two years earlier , I could imagine that their Custom Supreme (105 MON octane) was selling for half of that !

This is a great thread! I'm 49 and this brings back old memories.
We grew up quite poor and didn't have many things that we all take for granted today......
I remember my dad commenting on radial tires when they first came out, ''they look like they're half flat, they'll never be better than bias plies!''
Also i remember no twist off caps for anything, no ''diet'',''light'', or ''reduced calorie'' anything, baking and bread making was done weekly from scratch, rarely did you see air conditioning, the milk man delivering to your house daily, if you didn't use manners, you got a slap in the head, no swearing in front of women, you could smoke anywhere with no questions asked including the doctor's office and grocery stores, PPE was a baseball cap and work gloves, we never wore seat belts, drugs were something that hippies took, there was no political correctness, no 24 hour stores to buy anything, and nothing was open on a Sunday....... just to name a few.
Do you remember washing your greasy hands in leaded gasoline?
Lol......

First regular job was at a car wash, earned a buck an hour. Stingrays were what they called the new Corvettes, not a type of bicycle. Started out working on the vacuums and driving the cars onto the chain. A driver's license would be several years in the future, but nobody bothered checking. I remember a '58 Corvette with a clutch so stiff it took both my feet to push it in and I'd kill the motor every time I'd take the right one off to step on the gas! Youthful bravado completely bruised, I finally did get it moved up the couple of car lengths it took to hook up the chain.
Later I figured out if you worked the end of the line you got to drive the cars off the chain to the finish area and make tips. Learned right away that if you showed a little hustle wiping down the interior and cleaning the inside windows, it always improved the tips!
Pontiac garage was just down the street and every now and then you'd find a new one with a big motor, bucket seats, and a stick shift to be pulled off the chain. You could aways count on all the window washers jockeying with one another to drive out the "hot" cars.

The amazing thing is the scale of effort to migrate majority of the population to high density cities,

You're going way back...to the Industrial Revolution. In the 70's and 80's populations started to get pushed into suburbia. I grew up in Fremont. In the 60's, it was mostly farmland. By the end of the 90's, it was completely developed.

What a great post you managed to sum up all the **** kids have to have now days and i quote "little rat bastards".
Thank you since yesterday i found out i'm to be a g-pop in 9 months or so this made me feel good about being 44 and a soon to be g-pop.

Lol, al you old farts, that ain't even old yet. This is what's coming; pull and install an engine-takes 3 old farts. Get the tranny hooked up-2 old farts. Lay in the floorboard to get hands under dash- alternate old farts every 2 minutes. Until both old farts just pull the dash out, as we realize that we can't even see anymore.

Drop a wrench, hope it bounces off the headers, onto the floor; then get a broom to retrieve it, as if you laid down under the car, it takes 2 old farts to help you back to your feet.

Then can't do crap the next day, except make strange grunting noises when you move.

Junior hi, lunch .25; high, lunch .50c. A coke 5 cents. Being on a month's restriction? As soon as you got free again, it was right back on restriction. My dad finally gave up.

Lol, al you old farts, that ain't even old yet.

Drop a wrench, hope it bounces off the headers, onto the floor; then get a broom to retrieve it, as if you laid down under the car, it takes 2 old farts to help you back to your feet.

Then can't do crap the next day, except make strange grunting noises when you move.
That's been me for the last 12-15 years , and I'm only 41 ! It takes a minimum of two days to recover unless I don't have to work the next day ... that adds a few more days to the recovery process :toothy5: .

Believe me, it gets worse. after 15 years in construction, went ito the office, still feeling the body abuse.

but look at it this way; get the grand children to bring you a beer.

Three on the tree?? Heck, pretty soon you'll start hearing "What's a carburetor?"

Had to special points for the 65 Dart from Auto Zone. Went to pick them up and the assistant manager asked what they were..... "Points"..... " I don't even know what those are". "point" taken

How many had party lines ? ( If you don't know, don't ask, wouldn't understand LOL )

-
Back