For Ugly Mopars Only

-
HEY, I like my 300 Doba,,,,,and the whatchamacallit leather seats !

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,684
  • IMG_1692.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,701
1952 Dodge Sportsman Station Wagon

"My, the neighbors have a new car.'

1952DeSotoStationWagon.jpg

actually, RICH Corinthian leather is what Ricardo said in the commercials.:D

The earlier Cordoba looked nice to me before the stacked rectangular headlights.

No, he said SOFT. At least in the "new" Cordoba commercial. ;-)

(And he refers to it as the SMALL Chrysler?? I guess in the 70's, big cars were still BIG cars.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o[/ame]

And I agree about the headlights. Actually I don't think Cordobas are that ugly.

again...."eye of the beholder"....I've always loved those late 70s/early 80s Monte Carlos from a styleing point of view

Ricardo Montalban,

Did use the words, 'soft', 'rich' and 'fine' Corinthian Leather in different commercials.

'It's better to look good than to feel good.'

No, he said SOFT. At least in the "new" Cordoba commercial. ;-)

(And he refers to it as the SMALL Chrysler?? I guess in the 70's, big cars were still BIG cars.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o

And I agree about the headlights. Actually I don't think Cordobas are that ugly.

Ricardo Montalban,

Did use the words, 'soft', 'rich' and 'fine' Corinthian Leather in different commercials.

'It's better to look good than to feel good.'

Thanks Troy for posting the Cordoba commercial, I love all those! I should not have corrected you when I didn't know. Chrysler sold a lot of Cordobas. Wish they didn't all come with vinyl roofs other than the later 300 version.

You are right about being BIG.(now-a-days) Most that drive the Doba,, that is their first comment.
The wife calls it "Moby Dick,the Great White Whale"

Thanks Troy for posting the Cordoba commercial, I love all those! I should not have corrected you when I didn't know. Chrysler sold a lot of Cordobas. Wish they didn't all come with vinyl roofs other than the later 300 version.

No problem. For years I thought it was rich myself, then I realized he said soft. But as someone else pointed out, he may have said it differently over the years. That's why I said at least in the '75 Cordoba commercial.

Which reminds me, I had the chance to buy a '75 or '76 Cordoba when my dad and I were car hunting for me at 16. It had the 360 too. Which was a problem, as far as my dad was concerned about gas mileage. Eventually after buying a lemon Pontiac 2000, I ended up with a '79 St. Regis w/ a 318 instead. I miss that car, but IMO the 'doba is a better looking car from that era than a St. Regis.

I remember those cordobas as being THE most cold-blooded cars ever made. Don't know how many times I heard owners yelling from inside the driver's seat, after starting it, revving it a few times, popping it into reverse, hearing a faint carb backfire, and.......dead.......then do it all over again.

Then the next start, they'd rev it even higher and longer........pop it into reverse, hear a faint carb backfire, and......dead......LOL It was pretty comical, seeing it as a non-involved party.

My friends Cordoba what a heck of a better driver (and reliable) than either of his '71 and '73 Charger..his had the round headlights..not sure what year it was,,,

I remember doing some work on a 300 Cordoba when it was fairly new.
IIRC, NOBODY was running dual cats with true dual exhaust until that car. Most "dual exhausts" were siamesed into a single cat, then split after into dual tail pipes. Maybe not fast now but in it's day, it may have been a hot rod.

I loved those V. Exner cars. It was the unique ideas that went into them like the daylight backlit dash , the big toilet seat on the trunk, and the long ram intake manifolds. Hey lets not forget the square shaped steering wheel. The rocket tail lights on the 62 Darts and Savoys.

I think ole virgil hit the pinnacle of his design prowess in 1957/1958, once the tailfins went away i dont think he knew quite what to do. The early 60s stuff was pretty freaking ugly. A frirnd on mine and fellow mopar nut refers to this era of ugly mopars as rolling abortions. IMHO. come on guys look at the 1960 valiant. I wouldent be caught dead in one of those. I remember seeing these when i was a kid and saying wow what a grandma car. Theres a reason a lot of the early 60s mopar stuff isnt around anymore, nobody wanted to drive an ugly car. I realize beauty is in eye of the beholder, and to some the 67 barracuda might be ugly. I own one of these and couldent care less if anybody thinks they are ugly.

I think chrysler started to get its game on in the styling department around 1967 when the cuda was redesigned, then the charger in 1968 along with the rest of the B body lineup. Correct me if i am wrong but was the designer of most of the 67 up mopars elwood engle? If so you can see a definite departure from ole virgil exner.

Maybe im pretty harsh on this but its my opinion which to other folks on fabo should mean nothing.

Matt.

I remember doing some work on a 300 Cordoba when it was fairly new.
IIRC, NOBODY was running dual cats with true dual exhaust until that car. Most "dual exhausts" were siamesed into a single cat, then split after into dual tail pipes. Maybe not fast now but in it's day, it may have been a hot rod.

I had a 77 charger SE. Nice car buckets, console,.gage pack w tach. Power windows, and cruise and A/C. It was red with a white landau top, white leather interior. Had rallye wheels on it too. It was supposed to have a 400 in it, but i put a 440 in it. Since mine was a dodge variant was it still corinthian leather, or regular leather?

To answer the headlight question. 1975 thru 1977 had round headlamps, 1978 / 1979 had stacked rectangular lamps. These later years also have the bigger rotor, caliper and caliper mount that bolts to the 73 up A body disc brake spindle. If i had to guess the 78/79 magnum prob had the bigger brakes too. Ask me how i know lol. Got cordoba big brakes setup for my cuda.

Omni colt caravell . All ugly little cars.

Daytona, and lebaron coupe were pretty nice. I have a t top daytona shelby z. Nice car. I havea soft spot for turbo 2.2 mopars. Would love to get my hands on a clean turbo town n country woody wagon for a daily driver. Mebbe im weird but i love em.

Are you kidding? Lots of older Mopars had "unround" wheels, and they could be a PITA if you weren't used to 'em.

Let's not forget the "dashboard mounted" rear view mirror, so if you had more than two people in the car, the thing became useless.

130132-500-0.jpg

63+Chrysler+Imperial+Conv+28.JPG

1187919412-dash.jpg

dash.jpg
wow that bottom one looks like something out of lost in space. heck they all do LOL

Not really. Arguably the ugliest American car ever. We used to own one, and I thought it was ugly then. I was, however, thoroughly taken with the instrument cluster and controls. Dad liked the performance of the 61 well enough to replace it with a special order '64 Fury 9 pax wagon w/SG and 383-4v. Now that was a car!

That all said, look at these grilles. These two were separated at birth or Exner lives (through a proxy?)

No Memike, I don't think the '66 Dart was ugly. In fact that and the 64-65 Barracuda are my favorite early A's. (But then, I have restored 2 '66 Darts, so my objectivity is somewhat compromised.)

everything that comes around goes around. now i am sure that lexus with the funny grille thats similar to the old fury or savoy in the other pic will be concidered ugly in about 40 to 50 years from now.

In fairness, I think just about every manufacturer has pumped out their share of homeliness.

Not limited to the early '60's either, LOL

mindset21.jpg

The "whut were they thinking" dept

EdselPacer2doorhardtop-433x288.jpg

We all know it's not limited to the U.S.

monaco_pallas_artcurial.jpg

Yup. That's right. Somebody you know DROVE one. In my opinion, these were only "less ugly" at the time because we had Pintos to look at

007_germlin.jpg

6a00d8341c630a53ef01157073d0bb970c-500pi

This came up in the search and I knew I'd never find another exuse

5.jpg

Nope!!! Not an improvement!! FAIL!!!

sema-2006-part-3-20061109053711485.jpg

come on guys the Citroen in the second pic is cool LOL. the frenchys are big on having frog lookin cars with 3 lug nuts per wheel. Renault LeCar anyone LOL. pintos are great shitboxes too a 302 V8 fits right in, or use a 2.3L turbo setup out of a t bird turbo coupe. lotsa fun.

I'd say "yeah, it's definitely possible".....but I'd prefer to use the word "daring"......I mean, that's one angry *** front end on that '61! Also.....I wouldn't exactly say that other manufacturers were "hitting it outta the park" on styling in the early 60's either, seriously! I've often wondered what the hell happened between '59 and '61.....I think all manufacturers' cars looked just weird and crappy, and then started coming around again in 1962.

4427645847_df8b9a801a.jpg
LaBomba%20.jpg
4122597611_eb785843ff_z.jpg
1961-chevy-impala-front.jpg
hppp-1202-01-o-%2B1960-pontiac-ventura%2Bfront.jpg

not too keen on the 61 buick, 61 ford, or the 61 olds, but the 61 bonneville, and 61 chevy belair i think look pretty good. plus i love the pontiac 8 lug heavy duty wheels. they just looked tough.

how about the 59/60 buick they look pretty ugly.

remember that we were going into the "jet age" at this time, so everybody was trying to capitalize on this kind of styling.

Some may think 66 Darts are ugly but I think they're cool. See similar lines? (I need paint and a superstock scoop.)

my grandma had a 64 dart GT with a slanty a long time ago. car ran forever. the new jersey road salt took its toll on it, it was scrapped because it just wasnt safe anymore. the front end looked like it was channeling its inner chrysler turbine car. i prefer the 66 to the 64 i like the grille better.

We used to have a '54 Nash Ambassador, and I thought it was ugly, 'till I saw the '57.............

54...........very much like and same color as ours

Fuel filler was under "in" one tail light lens which hinged up. To start the car, you pulled the shift lever "up" toward the driver

m44YxLhAKu3pyO9LXsG5OXA.jpg

1954%20Nash%20Ambassador%20Custom%20LeMans%20-%20fvr.jpg

Ours had the much hated "optional Continental Tire Kit" just TRY getting into the trunk

43170-500-0.jpg

You can see the tab to lift the fuel filler door on the passenger side, bottom of the chrome piece

1954%20Nash%20Ambassador%20Custom%20LeMans%20-%20rv.jpg

But I think the 57 far outclassed our old 54 for phugly. Reminds me of something you would have ordered from "Khrushchev Motors"

images
112_0806_31z%2B1957_nash_ambassador_custom%2Bfront_view%5B1%5D.jpg

The designer of the tailights must'a chain smoked for a year over this

4624663182_f8e0b7e7d4.jpg

Now I can tell you a story which my smokin' *** will never allow me to forget. I had heard -- and probably from my Dad-- a VERY poetic phrase, which just ROLLED off the tongue, and just DEMANDED that this phrase be used. Now I suspected that "I" should not be using this phrase, but you know how 8 year olds, 'er 10, er whatever -- are. Our brains don't work.

So our old 54, the right rear door did not work properly, and it was forever closed and LOCKED, not to be opened. As the eldest son, it was my job to get out of the left rear, hold the door for my sister(s) before retiring.

So we get home from church one muddy winter day, and I got gingerly out of the car in the muddy driveway, trying not to get my shoes too messy. The older of my sisters happily slid right out of the seat, flat footed on the ground, and splashed my shoes and pants.

"Well you little BASTARD!!!" is what came out.

So my *** was red, and NO fried chicken for YOU that Sunday afternoon!!!

-
Back