force induction or not ?

-

mopar426

Reaction score
ive torn on what i should do with my 440 ive always wanted to slap on a supercharger or a set of turbos but it seems like a lot could go wrong with a forced induction motor so i dont no if i should stay with a natrually asp motor or not?

PLEASE HELP!!!

A lot could go wrong with any engine. If you build it the right way and take the time to learn about what you're working with, then you won't have any major problems. All ya gotta do with a engine with forced induction is to pay attention and make sure everything is where is should be during tuning (like Air/fuel ratio). If you pay attention to what you're doing you'll be just fine.

I had asked myself that question many of times. I have finally decided to build a stout N/A engine and when I get used to it and bored with it, then throw forced induction at it....

thanks for the info ill prob do what you did jrlegacy23 build the 440 n/a then when i get bored with it throw a bds supercharger or something like that on it

Then you will have to rebuild it again for boost

Yep, cold 85 is right. Why build two engines? I say, make the choice now and stick with it... unless you have the money to throw around for the rebuild later. I mean it's your decision in the end, and if you are gunna run n/a for the next 5 years then I see your plan working out fine, but if you think you're going to wanna switch in a year or two, I would just build the forced induction engine.

#1 you have to have the intended vehicles PURPOSE (goal) in mind to make the rational decision.

I agree. Build a engine ONCE. Going from 10.5:1 CR back down to 8.5:1 CR is not accomplished cheaply, and neither is going from OEM cast to 12.5:1 CR forged pistons.

To me....I approach this thread and wonder....."he HAS a 440, I do not know what chassis, but.....what exactly is the current running state, and what is the concrete goal"....your question is excessively vague for such a costly venture.

And too be blunt....the power capability and driver kinda streetability you want...IS Turbocharging.

This is me personally-
Because hmmmm do I want a 5.9L, maybe a bored & stroked out 6.2L, maybe skip the small blocks and go straight to 7.2L-440.??.....Nah I want a 5.9L that breathes like a 12.0L V8, SUPER kinda torque, and consumes fuel like a 5.9L v8 when I want it to....turbo(s).

To each thier own....and LOL....I just thought of something even funnier.....If you go Turbo, you can make your mind up AS YOU DRIVE.......Like "WOT....Forced induction!!!! - 10 psi BOOST....or part throttle.....No BOOST."

LOL....turbos are for the confused.

LOL @ Prine....turbos are for the confused. LOL

Turbos are wonderful little things with just what he was saying. A similar style supercharger is also a nice part. However, the big dino era bolt on top of the engine 6-71, 8-71 etc... make huge torque and stress the lower engine half a bit more than a softer hit from a turbo. This you can control over the big 8-71 style units.

What could be cooler than this though?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz0vuCmzFEs"]YouTube- 1971 Dart Twin Turbo www.empire-mopars.com[/ame]

Turbochargers are mighty and all...and can be horrifically damaged by something as stupid as a Grasshopper.....Hope that guy has some window screen plugs he uses for longer drives!!

My dad is going with a Whipple charger on his motor. Will let you all know how it does. He is shooting for 1000HP at the crank on 91 pump gas or mabby a pump ave gas mix.

its so hard to decide i want to drive it on the street some but idk if it will be to street friendlt with the first motor i had in mind whisch was 440 bored and stroked to 500 with indy heads and 11:5:1 compression and with the tt turbos i think it would be a lil bit more friendly but i dont no how hard it would be to tune turbos with a blow through sytem and where go to get the stuff i need

Uhh Yeah!

I LOVE turbochargers. Honestly.

When I am junkyarding and see a scrap turbocharger laying on the ground...my eyes light up like a Mopar Nut seeing a real HEMI car...I run over and flip it over and read the specs, inspect the condition and pay my respects even if its grenanded.

My family has driven Chrysler Products since 1965...so I am thoroughly Mopar.

When I got married the wife had a itch for a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and I would not settle for anything less than the All Wheel Drive, turbocharged model....the Eclipse GSX.

It was a 4 cyl. 2.0L Multi-port Fuel Injected, 16 valve HEMI, cast iron block, aluminum head...forged bottom end....Single Turbo.

Factory smogged down it put 220whp to the ground....and imagine that for a second.

The turbo was the magic maker.

I played with that car for 6 years, learning all I could about cramming up to 45psi of turbocharged air into a engine.

Bone stock the car ran 14.99 @ 90mph
When I finally got fed up of having to fix stuff everytime I crossed a new power level...the car had gone 12.47 @ 114....and if you plug that mph into a HPO calculator....I had to be putting 345 hp to the ground in a 3400lb car.....or over 420 to the crank....on a 4 cyl....never harming fuel economy or driveability a tiny bit....it still got 32mpg on the highway driving that rediculous 120 miles one way to the track and 120 miles back home after each 4-5 pass test and tune session at the closest dragstrip for a stupid timeslip.

Turbo is the way to go, no doubt.

ha well i think i just made my mind up goin with the twin turbos or just goin with single what is a good turbo set up im want to be in the 900 hp rang shouldnt be to hard i dont think. do you no if anyone makes headers for turbos for 440s ?

-
Back