Ford 272 C.I. runs low 11's. Why do Mopar guys need 408's?

-
You mentioned the guy who held a record RACING in RACE CAR to in general shade people with 408 motors, that could insinuate that every one of them was expected to be in a race car too. That's why I asked if this was the "Racer's forum". Makes perfect sense , to me. You can have all the motor in the world and yet still have a car that's not set up to put it to the ground. Now you just said that of course it's a race car Etc , then you still go on about the motor discounting the other half of it , the race car . What exactly are you going about with the motor that you insinuate others dont already do? Blueprint compression and square up to limit to raise it? Yeah let's read machine every single bit of that block, rods because we totally need that in our street cars , that extra six horsepower or two horsepower or .4 horsepower.
John's deal is unique...john was running that class, not the rest of us..nor so has anyone saidthey want to. I'm not impressed with John like you are but it's for other reasons. Some people really make him look bad.. but so does he by staying silent.

I was always fascinated by Stock and Super Stock cars because they showed, at least in the old days when you had to run factory stuff, what a car was capable of. Stock used everything stock but the cam and exhaust. Super Stock only allowed valve train and intake manifold and exhaust. Quality machine work means straight round bores, sealed to the pistons with good rings, and valves that seal. Equal deck hights would be nice as well as close to equal chambers sealed to the block. Really, I could care less about most other drag racing. Most of my good friends drag raced and I was at the track quite a bit helping them when I was in my 20's and 30's. One of my friends raced Super Stock in the 70's and was the first one to make sense when it came to making power. That's it, no insinuation. I personally don't see spending the coin for stoker, new everything, and aluminum heads to make some horsepower number. Do what you want, we still live in whats left of America. What anyone else wants does not matter to me, I'm good.

Last edited:
The track i race at most, the winners in almost all classes are on the faster end of the bracket.
I much prefer to chase, rather than being chased. Till they started checking whose red-light was worse, as the faster car your opponent has the chance to make the first red light. Also, when chasing, the finish line and the opponent is in front of me, and I can better judge closure rate. If I'm chasing, and get in front, he's done. If I'm being chased, I don't have a good perspective of his closing rate cause I have to look over my shoulder or in the mirror, and guess how fast he's closing . If I'm being chased, I HAVE to believe in my car and dial in, because unless I can see he has no chance of catching me, I can't lift.
But then, that's just my experience.
If slower won more races than faster, all those rat powered rear motor dragsters would be for sale, and there would be a run on mini vans at carmax and carvana.

Last edited:
The track i race at most, the winners in almost all classes are on the faster end of the bracket.
I much prefer to chase, rather than being chased. Till they started checking whose red-light was worse, as the faster car your opponent has the chance to make the first red light. Also, when chasing, the finish line and the opponent is in front of me, and I can better judge closure rate. If I'm chasing, and get in front, he's done. If I'm being chased, I don't have a good perspective of his closing rate cause I have to look over my shoulder or in the mirror, and guess how fast he's closing . If I'm being chased, I HAVE to believe in my car and dial in, because unless I can see he has no chance of catching me, I can't lift.
But then, that's just my experience.
If slower won more races than faster, all those rat powered rear motor dragsters would be for sale, and there would be a run on mini vans at carmax and carvana.
BINGO

Exactly what I said over the last couple of pages.

Have you been to a race track in Portland Oregon :lol:.I have to say tire and suspension technology are light years away from what they were when I was racing and so are the time slips. I guess I am a bit nostalgic in my thinking at times but you really had to drive to have a relatively fast bracket car and be consistent at that time and allot of the seasoned guys that really cleaned house ran 11 and 12s and had no interest in going faster. The funny thing is the last time I was at the track for a points night there were still allot of those type of cars and they did well. You are right though, if you are the slower car you have to trust the car and for those guys that have it dialed they are near impossible to beat. I actually know a guy that is always at the top of the points and is just a dam good driver, races every chance he gets. He runs low tens and won't change the car to be legal for a faster et. but dam he puts some fast cars on the trailer!.

Last edited:
BINGO

Exactly what I said over the last couple of pages.
How are you fast enough to chase anything? oh, I got it, you chase the minivans lol, no wonder it's a sore spot for you!. Seriously nothing but respect for you and maybe some day I will bracket race in the modern ages, ah, nope, still hate it!. :) But I guess if I ever want to run a mopar event other than in the test and tune lane I will have to, that will be a **** show for sure. I really love the late night heads up events, closest thing to street racing I can find around here.

Last edited:
How are you fast enough to chase anything? oh, I got it, you chase the minivans lol, no wonder it's a sore spot for you!. Seriously nothing but respect for you and maybe some day I will bracket race in the modern ages, ah, nope, still hate it!. :)
That's what I'm saying! I get chased and I always lose !!! That's how I know the faster car has the advantage !
:lol:

Seriously, I'm not a bracket racer myself nor do I have a car dedicated to bracket racing. But, I have bracket raced and certainly have friends that are dedicated bracket racers with cars solely for that purpose.

That's what I'm saying! I get chased and I always lose !!! That's how I know the faster car has the advantage !

Seriously, I'm not a bracket racer myself nor do I have a car dedicated to bracket racing. But, I have bracket raced and certainly have friends that are dedicated bracket racers with cars solely for that purpose.

You’re a troublemaker. And good at it. I’m proud of you. Lol

Sounds like you need to become one with your car grasshopper!:). The fastest car I had when I was bracket racing allot was a 12 second car but the guy to beat in my class had a 15 second wagon and it would just repeat every time. I must have a serious case of add because whenever I had a car that did that for a while I got bored and would find a way to screw it up!

Sounds like you need to become one with your car grasshopper!:). The fastest car I had when I was bracket racing allot was a 12 second car but the guy to beat in my class had a 15 second wagon and it would just repeat every time. I must have a serious case of add because whenever I had a car that did that for a while I got bored and would find a way to screw it up!
I won a trophy in 2019 in my Duster, but our track is awful tough to go rounds. I also split the purse at NNN's last year in the van.

Better to be lucky than good !!! :D

I have a car that runs at the bottom of sportsman, and one that can run nines that I slow a little to run low tens. The faster car is easier to drive, more consistent, and usually cuts better lights. The difference being: the faster car has a transbrake for the leave, a glide to make it hook easier, big tires to help, and very little weight. All of which make it a better bracket car than the heavier, smaller tire car.
I'm usually chasing, in both classes, cause that's the way I want it.
(My home track has very few dragsters. I don't know why).

I have a car that runs at the bottom of sportsman, and one that can run nines that I slow a little to run low tens. The faster car is easier to drive, more consistent, and usually cuts better lights. The difference being: the faster car has a transbrake for the leave, a glide to make it hook easier, big tires to help, and very little weight. All of which make it a better bracket car than the heavier, smaller tire car.
I would say that is what is echoed by a lot of racers.

6.0’s at keystone and I’m probably chased 80% of the time at least. Our track really promotes Jr dragsters and when the kids get older daddy buys them a full size dragster.

6.0’s at keystone and I’m probably chased 80% of the time at least. Our track really promotes Jr dragsters and when the kids get older daddy buys them a full size dragster.
Do you have a thread on your cars build? 6 is low 9s 1/4 mile?

yep. girls and boys alike. 19 year-old's in rails racing box class leaving on the button brake.

I prefer footbrake no-box cars. Drivers still need to drive.

yep. girls and boys alike. 19 year-old's in rails racing box class leaving on the button brake.

I prefer footbrake no-box cars. Drivers still need to drive.

Technically when you are that slow you aren’t allowed to run boxes and transbrakes. Zing!!!

D3251EBF-95C3-4115-98B8-A8EA9C8F10AD.jpeg

Technically when you are that slow you aren’t allowed to run boxes and transbrakes. Zing!!!
there are fast cars racing footbrake/no box. You betcha. But if you are racing and others can and are using box/button brakes, you really can't compete unless you have them also.

Those things definitely make a nicer, more consistent bracket car. Even without those things I will always take the faster car because to me it's more of a challenge and just more fun.

-
Back