Ford 272 C.I. runs low 11's. Why do Mopar guys need 408's?

-
To me street strip car is a car where the strip is primary focus driveability takes a backseat basically a racecar with a plate. Street Machine whatever you want call it all out performance is still important but willing to compromise performance for a more street friendly ride and just trickles down from there to warmed over to dead stock. Obviously there's no hard lines about this ****.

Yeah, uh no, that's bullshit, That's also what those guy's say in their defense lol. Much easier to win/be consistent in a slow car that doesn't spin a tire and cut ok lights then to have to chase a car down and not break out when you are seconds faster. The slow guy sets the stage, to really have a chance the faster guy has to try to cut a better light, run him down/beat him and not break out. You tell me who has more of a challenge?.
You are wrong. The faster car (more mph) has the advantage at the big end, and more of what to do and sees more - stay in it or get out of it. And much easier to cut a light in a quicker car. IF your car spins, that's on YOU. Hooking up in a bracket car is usually the least of concern. And the more power and better ET, less off the dial the car will run if the breeze is off and on. Try that in a 140 hp mini van. Again, if the mini van puts you on the trailer, look in the mirror. Not your wallet :D :D

To me street strip car is a car where the strip is primary focus driveability takes a backseat basically a racecar with a plate. Street Machine whatever you want call it all out performance is still important but willing to compromise performance for a more street friendly ride and just trickles down from there to warmed over to dead stock. Obviously there's no hard lines about this ****.

That’s not how I define it because using your definition brings in opinions on things like driveability.

That means that anyone can define anything the way they want to.

You are wrong. The faster car (more mph) has the advantage at the big end, and more of what to do and sees more - stay in it or get out of it. And much easier to cut a light in a quicker car. IF your car spins, that's on YOU. Hooking up in a bracket car is usually the least of concern. And the more power and better ET, less off the dial the car will run if the breeze is off and on. Try that in a 140 hp mini van. Again, if the mini van puts you on the trailer, look in the mirror. Not your wallet :D :D

What’s the fastest bracket car you’ve tuned?

Or racing for 20 plus years and racing in the “street” class. We have a longtime Mopar racer beating up on beginners and he’s prouder than a Peacock. Guys and girls that are beginners get discouraged and quit.
Kind of like the guys here in stock car racing building 50 thousands dollar entry level thunder cars instead of a couple classes up where that money makes sense, guess there happy being a big fish in a little pond.

What's the most pickles you've put on a hamburger ? LOL

I don't get the point....

You said hooking a bracket should be usually the least concern.

I’m asking what fast bracket cars have YOU tuned.

I didn’t think it was a hard or tricky question.

Lead69, Let me give you a real life example. Last year at NNN, I literally was in a slow van. When I had the competition coming around me by 30 mph in the 1/8 mile race, it was so hard to know if I should stay in it, back off a tad the last 20 ft, or anything else. There also was a head/cross wind and how did that effect the vans run?? You don't know till it's too late. It wasn't a cake walk by no means. But I had the van tuned and consistent. Only ran 400ths off from the worst pass to the best pass

Last edited:

Easier to cut a light in a quicker car. Lol. I thought you were smarter than that.

You said hooking a bracket should be usually the least concern.

I’m asking what fast bracket cars have YOU tuned.

I didn’t think it was a hard or tricky question.
Simple. Don't build faster than you can tune. Period. If you can't hook up a 7 second full tube chassis car, then don't build one. If you need a spool, 10 inch slick and only run a 12.50, then so be it. But build what you can manage or plan on going home early. It's why I said car and driver work together.

You are wrong. The faster car (more mph) has the advantage at the big end, and more of what to do and sees more - stay in it or get out of it. And much easier to cut a light in a quicker car. IF your car spins, that's on YOU.
Nope, did this stuff for years and it rarely works out that way if ever. In a field of cars where the faster cars outnumber the slower cars the slower cars most always outnumber the faster cars in the final rounds. The faster guys have more to deal with when they make a pass, it is the price of having a faster car. I used to be the slow guy and clean house and the faster I got the greater the challenge. That's probably why I have stick car with drag radials and the potential to run mid to low tens n/a if I can ever finish it lol.

Nope, did this stuff for years and it rarely works out that way if ever. In a field of cars where the faster cars outnumber the slower cars the slower cars most always outnumber the faster cars in the final rounds. The faster guys have more to deal with when they make a pass, it is the price of having a faster car. I used to be the slow guy and clean house and the faster I got the greater the challenge. That's probably why I have stick car with drag radials and the potential to run mid to low tens if I can ever finish it lol.
Again, that's why I say a guy shouldn't build a bracket car faster than he can manage. :) And again, many have the money to go fast and it's more thrilling but can't match it with their driving, so on the trailer they go. Common.

Simple. Don't build faster than you can tune. Period. If you can't hook up a 7 second full tube chassis car, then don't build one. If you need a spool, 10 inch slick and only run a 12.50, then so be it. But build what you can manage or plan on going home early. It's why I said car and driver work together.

That’s not what I asked YOU. You said a bracket cars least concern is (usually) hook.

And I’m asking what is the quickest and fastest bracket car YOU have tuned for hook.

Pretty simple question.

That’s not what I asked YOU. You said a bracket cars least concern is (usually) hook.

And I’m asking what is the quickest and fastest bracket car YOU have tuned for hook.

Pretty simple question.
My van. Last year it dead hooked and cut a 2.5 60 ft time. :)

And I say if a guy doesn't try to go faster in a drag race where is the challenge in that?, you should at least be tens by now :lol:
Because the topic we've been on the last few posts was "bracket racing". :) 10's? Is that a fast bracket car to you??? LOL

Of course, can always get a delay box.... crosstalk ... then it takes a .005 or less to be competitive, at least at my track lol

My van. Last year it dead hooked and cut a 2.5 60 ft time. :)

So you have no clue how to hook a 10 second car. No clue about initial shock settings and where to tune from them.

You have no clue about using a 2 step as a tuning tool.

Or no clue about getting anything with power to hook.

Your van should hook in a car wash. See if you can get a 12 second car to hook in a car wash.

You make it sound easy and any bone headed dolt can hook a 10 second (or quicker) like falling off a log.

That is your ample inexperience talking.

Yeah, uh no, that's bullshit, That's also what those guy's say in their defense lol. Much easier to win/be consistent in a slow car that doesn't spin a tire and cut ok lights then to have to chase a car down and not break out when you are seconds faster. The slow guy sets the stage, to really have a chance the faster guy has to try to cut a better light, run him down, beat him and not break out. You tell me who has more of a challenge?.
That's the game.

So you have no clue how to hook a 10 second car. No clue about initial shock settings and where to tune from them.

You have no clue about using a 2 step as a tuning tool.

Or no clue about getting anything with power to hook.

Your van should hook in a car wash. See if you can get a 12 second car to hook in a car wash.

You make it sound easy and any bone headed dolt can hook a 10 second (or quicker) like falling off a log.

That is your ample inexperience talking.
LOL...... ^^^^

Lead69, Let me give you a real life example. Last year at NNN, I literally was in a slow van. When I had the competition coming around me by 30 mph in the 1/8 mile race, it was so hard to know if I should stay in it, back off a tad the last 20 ft, or anything else. There also was a head/cross wind and how did that effect the vans run?? You don't know till it's too late. It wasn't a cake walk by no means. But I had the van tuned and consistent. Only ran 400ths off from the worst pass to the best pass
I understand but the weather/track conditions are experienced by all the racers so it's really how much do you trust your vehicle?. Every "slow" car I have owned/bracket raced I made a full pass out the back door and it was rare that I ever broke out/lost on a "decent" pass. Out of all the times I had to chase a car down it was 50/50 most of the time if they made a decent pass and I was making a better one. Less room for error when things happen faster.

I understand but the weather/track conditions are experienced by all the racers so it's really how much do you trust your vehicle?. Every "slow" car I have owned/bracket raced I made a full pass out the back door and it was rare that I ever broke out/lost on a "decent" pass. Out of all the times I had to chase a car down it was 50/50 most of the time if they made a decent pass and I was making a better one. Less room for error when things happen faster.
All i can say to that is in my opinion, you tried to bracket race in a car that you couldn't manage.

-
Back