Ford 272 C.I. runs low 11's. Why do Mopar guys need 408's?

-
You can become moderately well off by drag racing.

Assuming that you were filthy rich when you started.
My Uncle basically started off in Top Alcohol out of pocket.

I would personally never race anything slower than 6.50 probably. I care more about having fun and going semi fast than I do winning. 6.0’s to me is fun. Semi fast but not crazy fast and I can still do it on a budget.

Saying some joker can go buy a brand new Mustang or whatever and call that a bracket car is dumb.
Why? If that person seriously races the car and tries to be competitive, sounds like someone is racing! There choice of car and the car’s capabilities are nether here or there.
FACT. Just because it’s raced doesn’t make it a bracket car.
Agreed
You can call it what you want but that doesn’t make it true.
Besides point of view….

I stated the above and stand behind it.

A case in point. A co-worker of mine, Terry M, purchased a ‘70 Super bee. It’s only street time was home from the dealer, to and from the track, a really nothing else unless a test burn out down the street is not good for, I’m sure Terry did so…..

The car is sub 15K miles, looks mint, bought for one purpose only, to go bracket racing. Terry threw some Hustle Stuff at it and had a blast. Has a few trophy’s and great times.

How is this not a bracket racing car? Because he bought it new? Only mildly modified it? May have used it on a few car meets, perhaps around the block with a few friends? Or a egg, milk and bread run?

Come on man. You’re narrowing down what a car can be and what a bracket car is only from your point of view.

By the way, are you going to write up a quick o we view of what your idea is of a street strip car? Come on now, basic idea.

Nines are fast, at least in my opinion, but I want to run 10.teens, or 6.40s, to avoid all the stuff that goes with nines (though my car has all the safety stuff necessary for nines, short of a chassis cert).
If any of my closest tracks ran index races, or something like SEGA, I'd start building something tomorrow.

Street and strip car = a car that's been on a street and been down the strip at least once each :)

I have bracket "raced" my late model pony car (brand immaterial) but it certainly is NOT a bracket car. Imo, the definition of a bracket car is something, whether street/strip, daily driver, or full on race car, that can cut a light, and put up consistent times. My car CANNOT cut a light to save its life, some sort of throttle delay incorporated into the drive by wire, but it is consistent. It will be consistently different by at least a couple tenths from run to run.
I used to make fun of the horrible lights I would see by the late model chargers,challengers camaros and mustangs...... till I tried it with my car.
I'm not laughing at them anymore.

You can become moderately well off by drag racing.

Assuming that you were filthy rich when you started.
That was written on the back of Bobby Warren's Superstock
Nova in the 70's and he is still involved in racing today and it is still true today.
His Grand Daughter's husband flew out from North Carolina
a couple years back when hi had a shot of winning the Division
and raced my E/SA Demon 340 at final Divisional in the country.

So,if GTX John can run 10 seconds with a 318 in a 3400 pound station wagon, what are you big cube guys doing wrong? Given an unlimited valve train, intake manifold, and exhaust he is still running stock compression and cast iron heads.
We aren't in the racers forum are we?
Did John street drive that car?
What we aren't doing wrong or are is not having 5.xx gears and 5000 stall in a race car, no matter what the weight. This is where I try and clear things up by 'in general' saying... stay in your lane.

John is respected much. He knows that.

Not saying to build it, I found it interesting, and thought the guys talking about polys would to.
Yes makes more sense to build 340/360 408/416 400/440 470/543 and people should but it a boring read most of the time. It's like nitrous dyno pulls add 100 hp nos shot and get a 100 hp more power big surprise.
Tossing anything in the ring is what usually happens. LOL
Only big blocks I'd build would be 400 based

We aren't in the racers forum are we?
Did John street drive that car?
What we aren't doing wrong or are is not having 5.xx gears and 5000 stall in a race car, no matter what the weight. This is where I try and clear things up by 'in general' saying... stay in your lane.

John is respected much. He knows that.

Why would I be in the Racers Forum, I have no interest in having a race car. However, I don't need to stay in my lane. Are you out of your lane? If more people put more into quality machine work and parts into their engine they would be faster. We both know that a dedicated Drag Race car is just that. I mainly rides on a trailer to do it's quarter mile thing and everything is optimized for that goal. My only point was, for all the know it alls, here is a low compression 318 supposedly worthless and not up for any kind of performance running the quarter mile in 10 seconds. What if you backed off the cam, that lowly 318 would still be making plenty of power. Granted by a professional life long respected racer. John and I have had a few long conversatioins.

You mentioned the guy who held a record RACING in RACE CAR to in general shade people with 408 motors, that could insinuate that every one of them was expected to be in a race car too. That's why I asked if this was the "Racer's forum". Makes perfect sense , to me. You can have all the motor in the world and yet still have a car that's not set up to put it to the ground. Now you just said that of course it's a race car Etc , then you still go on about the motor discounting the other half of it , the race car . What exactly are you going about with the motor that you insinuate others dont already do? Blueprint compression and square up to limit to raise it? Yeah let's read machine every single bit of that block, rods because we totally need that in our street cars , that extra six horsepower or two horsepower or .4 horsepower.
John's deal is unique...john was running that class, not the rest of us..nor so has anyone saidthey want to. I'm not impressed with John like you are but it's for other reasons. Some people really make him look bad.. but so does he by staying silent.

Why would I be in the Racers Forum, I have no interest in having a race car. However, I don't need to stay in my lane. Are you out of your lane? If more people put more into quality machine work and parts into their engine they would be faster. We both know that a dedicated Drag Race car is just that. I mainly rides on a trailer to do it's quarter mile thing and everything is optimized for that goal. My only point was, for all the know it alls, here is a low compression 318 supposedly worthless and not up for any kind of performance running the quarter mile in 10 seconds. What if you backed off the cam, that lowly 318 would still be making plenty of power. Granted by a professional life long respected racer. John and I have had a few long conversatioins.

Last edited:
I farted. Got a little on me too.

Why? If that person seriously races the car and tries to be competitive, sounds like someone is racing! There choice of car and the car’s capabilities are nether here or there.

Agreed

Besides point of view….

I stated the above and stand behind it.

A case in point. A co-worker of mine, Terry M, purchased a ‘70 Super bee. It’s only street time was home from the dealer, to and from the track, a really nothing else unless a test burn out down the street is not good for, I’m sure Terry did so…..

The car is sub 15K miles, looks mint, bought for one purpose only, to go bracket racing. Terry threw some Hustle Stuff at it and had a blast. Has a few trophy’s and great times.

How is this not a bracket racing car? Because he bought it new? Only mildly modified it? May have used it on a few car meets, perhaps around the block with a few friends? Or a egg, milk and bread run?

Come on man. You’re narrowing down what a car can be and what a bracket car is only from your point of view.

By the way, are you going to write up a quick o we view of what your idea is of a street strip car? Come on now, basic idea.

That’s a street car that gets bracket raced. It’s not a bracket car by definition.

I’m not typing out the proper definition from street car to race car. It would be pages long

I would personally never race anything slower than 6.50 probably. I care more about having fun and going semi fast than I do winning. 6.0’s to me is fun. Semi fast but not crazy fast and I can still do it on a budget.
This in a nutshell is why I hate bracket racing most of the time. A guy can jump in a 17 second minivan and clean house on a whole field of fast, well built cars and all he had to do was cut an ok light and leave it in drive. For me winning that way is like being proud of a getting a trophy for participation.

This in a nutshell is why I hate bracket racing most of the time. A guy can jump in a 17 second minivan and clean house on a whole field of fast, well built cars and all he had to do was cut an ok light and leave it in drive. For me winning that way is like being proud of a getting a trophy for participation.

Or racing for 20 plus years and racing in the “street” class. We have a longtime Mopar racer beating up on beginners and he’s prouder than a Peacock. Guys and girls that are beginners get discouraged and quit.

No participation trophies. Sorry, you cannot "buy" your way out of bracket racing. Fast or slow, same challenges... reaction time and a car that is consistent, and knowing what to dial. Car and driver working together. Period. If you can't cut a light, or drive, and your car isnt' consistent, then you and all your money machines get put on the trailer. :) And if you have a car that cuts a 1.5 60 ft time and you can't cut a better light than the guy cutting a 2.6 60 ft in his mini van, that's on you ...lol

P.S. - the "you" isnt' literally you, lead69 , just generally speaking :D

Last edited:
No participation trophies. Sorry, you cannot "buy" your way out of bracket racing. Fast or slow, same challenges... reaction time and a car that is consistent. Period. If you can't cut a light, and your car isnt' consistent, then you and all your money machines get put on the trailer. :)
Yeah, uh no, that's bullshit, That's also what those guy's say in their defense lol. Much easier to win/be consistent in a slow car that doesn't spin a tire and cut ok lights then to have to chase a car down and not break out when you are seconds faster. The slow guy sets the stage, to really have a chance the faster guy has to try to cut a better light, run him down, beat him and not break out. You tell me who has more of a challenge?.

-
Back