Ford 272 C.I. runs low 11's. Why do Mopar guys need 408's?

-
Well there you go @lead69. The resident hook expert has explained to you what your next move should be.

Get a van, go slow and post goofy "poop" on a forum.
LOL ^^ fixed it.

Let's see... a few weeks ago I dead hooked a 12 second car without a posi/spool/locker/sure grip or anything else you could think of. A plain oh open rear end :) Oh, I even messed it up with traction bars !!!! In street form !!!

But... it wasn't in a car wash with wet floors... my bad :(

LOL ^^ fixed it.

No, **** was the exact correct word.

Until you have personally tuned something fast you should bow out and talk about what you know.

The quicker and faster a car is the harder it is to tune. Margin for error gets slimmer by the tenth.

One last thing. If you think your 20 second van (or whatever it runs) is more affected by a head wind than a 8 or even 9 second car you need to study some science and physics and then do the math.

No, poop was the exact correct word.

Until you have personally tuned something fast you should bow out and talk about what you know.

The quicker and faster a car is the harder it is to tune. Margin for error gets slimmer by the tenth.

One last thing. If you think your 20 second van (or whatever it runs) is more affected by a head wind than a 8 or even 9 second car you need to study some score and physics and then do the math.
fixed again ^^ LOL.. How about we talk about what we show?? I just showed how to hook a 12 second car in street form with a open rear end :) Means you brought up "12's"

Last edited:
I get both point of views of should only build as fast as you can manage to get ultra consistent times but see that would be easier with a slower car and get how it would suck to lose to them.

All i can say to that is in my opinion, you tried to bracket race in a car that you couldn't manage.
My new car definitely fits that description but that's what I wanted to have fun and it's an entirely different animal than the car I bracket raced. Do you really believe that a twelve second bracket car is as easy to manage as an ten second bracket car?. Yes people can build very consistent fast car's but when the track is a bit off or your trying to chase down someone and you run 125mph to their 110 they will always have the advantage.

My new car definitely fits that description but that's what I wanted to have fun and it's an entirely different animal than the car I bracket raced. Do you really believe that a twelve second bracket car is as easy to manage as an ten second bracket car?. Yes people can build very consistent fast car's but when the track is a bit off or your trying to chase down someone and you run 125mph to their 110 they will always have the advantage.
I'm all for having fun.

Where is that? MPH is HP so post the MPH.
You mentioned 12's, not me. So I answered and said I just did that with a open rear end street car in street form. Now your point will be "that's not hooking 600 hp". And if i said I did that, you'd say "you didn't do it on a no prep surface".

Have a great rest of your day Rat Bastid :)

What were we talking about again.

3AEDEEA3-5C84-4EEA-BA0A-278CC424D566.jpeg

I get both point of views of should only build as fast as you can manage to get ultra consistent times but see that would be easier with a slower car and get how it would suck to lose to them.
In my opinion, the guy that can manage the faster car has the advantage. At my track, seems the guys chasing have a higher % of wins vs those being chased. There is a reason for it, but driving plays a HUGE part in bracket racing.

Because the topic we've been on the last few posts was "bracket racing". :) 10's? Is that a fast bracket car to you??? LOL
The majority of bracket racers running for points around here are in the low tens, they don't want to deal with/spend the money for the extra crap involved to run faster.

The majority of bracket racers running for points around here are in the low tens, they don't want to deal with/spend the money for the extra crap involved to run faster.
Some of the best footbrake racers I know have had the same car for years, some over 30 years. They don't go faster, if it's 11.50 then it's 11.50 for years. They and their car have become one. A bad light for them is .020, but a .005 is not uncommon at all, yes footbraking. A change to the car would be a learning curve. These guys are worse than a root canal to put out.

That’s a street car that gets bracket raced. It’s not a bracket car by definition.
Define bracket car.
I’m not typing out the proper definition from street car to race car. It would be pages long
No it wouldn’t. You could knock it out in 3 paragraphs. Not sure even lengthy ones. Then again, previously I did t ask that of you.
Just your opinion on what you yourself define a bracket car as.

Why can’t a guy go to the store and purchase a car, what ever car, this years new model, and to bracket racing with it? If that’s all he did with the car, that would be a bracket racer and his car would be a bracket racing car. If he drives it to work, school, church, grocery getting, it would be a street strip car.
That’s not how I define it because using your definition brings in opinions on things like driveability.

That means that anyone can define anything the way they want to.
People normally do. Nothing new there. Move along…. LMAO!

Define bracket car.

No it wouldn’t. You could knock it out in 3 paragraphs. Not sure even lengthy ones. Then again, previously I did t ask that of you.
Just your opinion on what you yourself define a bracket car as.

Why can’t a guy go to the store and purchase a car, what ever car, this years new model, and to bracket racing with it? If that’s all he did with the car, that would be a bracket racer and his car would be a bracket racing car. If he drives it to work, school, church, grocery getting, it would be a street strip car.

People normally do. Nothing new there. Move along…. LMAO!

Because I don’t count cars as bracket cars. That’s what bubble gummers do.

You know what a bracket car is, just like I do.

To explain the difference between a street car and a race car and what’s in between would be a big task. I’ll do a video.

Because I don’t count cars as bracket cars. That’s what bubble gummers do.

You know what a bracket car is, just like I do.

To explain the difference between a street car and a race car and what’s in between would be a big task. I’ll do a video.
Here’s the rub. I can see an everyday car only driven in bracket racing, as in my co-workers ‘70 Super Bee.

A dedicated gutted, no lights, no horn, etc…..
IS a race car. It can be bracket raced or driven heads up.

I think you make to much of this and are to stiff on it.
But that’s OK. Yep! I lean more to what you’re thinking.

Here’s the rub. I can see an everyday car only driven in bracket racing, as in my co-workers ‘70 Super Bee.

A dedicated gutted, no lights, no horn, etc…..
IS a race car. It can be bracket raced or driven heads up.

I think you make to much of this and are to stiff on it.
But that’s OK. Yep! I lean more to what you’re thinking.

You’re making my point.

If I run out and buy a…you pick it. An LS something or a Gen III Hemi something. I can bracket race, but it’s not a “bracket” car. It’s a street car that get bracket raced.

Just like my car. It’s a street car (there is a bunch of wiggle room in the street part and that’s what takes forever to explain…right now my hands hurt so bad I can’t open a bottle of water…the wife had to do it for me and typing right now is not fun) that I can bracket race.

When my dad bought his 66 Barracuda is wasn’t a bracket car. It was K/S legal and that’s the class he ran. It’s pretty freaking hard to do that today.

You’re making my point.

If I run out and buy a…you pick it. An LS something or a Gen III Hemi something. I can bracket race, but it’s not a “bracket” car. It’s a street car that get bracket raced.
Yes and no. A dedicated bracket race car is a different animal. 99% were street cars. This is what I’m getting at. Not the purpose built tube chassis car.
Just like my car. It’s a street car (there is a bunch of wiggle room in the street part and that’s what takes forever to explain…right now my hands hurt so bad I can’t open a bottle of water…the wife had to do it for me and typing right now is not fun) that I can bracket race.
Turning a lot of wrenches I bet. Know the feeling. Keep massaging them.
When my dad bought his 66 Barracuda is wasn’t a bracket car. It was K/S legal and that’s the class he ran. It’s pretty freaking hard to do that today.
K/S! Man, that’s something I’m going to have to look up. I hear and read stuff that I’m not up on and it just takes me back down memory lane. Gramps-in-law’s days when he was gettin-done.
Our time together was to short.

IMG_0696.jpeg

IMG_0695.jpeg

-
Back