Ford 272 C.I. runs low 11's. Why do Mopar guys need 408's?

-
Mostly valid argument. I can build a 500hp 400cu in Chevy for a LOT less money than a 500hp 283, and make 100ft lbs more torque and run less rpm, less gear, and probably be faster.
The same situation exists in the Mopar world. Is there a good reason, (other than maybe a stock eliminator car) to build a 273 to 500hp (or any other number) instead of a 360/408?
No argument with me. However, as I stated above is part of the reason why no one will build a crazy 318.

I’m all for the guy that wants to do one no matter the reason.
But that person will get **** on right quick most every time.
They could do it for the challenge or because they don’t have a lot of money and there just working with what they have, perhaps there’s no EZ to get junkyard, it dose t matter, run the 318 and get **** on, disrespected, laughed at by your own brothers.

Mostly valid argument. I can build a 500hp 400cu in Chevy for a LOT less money than a 500hp 283, and make 100ft lbs more torque and run less rpm, less gear, and probably be faster.
The same situation exists in the Mopar world. Is there a good reason, (other than maybe a stock eliminator car) to build a 273 to 500hp (or any other number) instead of a 360/408?
Yes. It's like building a slant 6. You do it because you want to. I can promise you, any of yall on the forum no matter how quick or fast yours cars are could drive Vixen and if you were honest, you'd be impressed. It'll never be a V8 and I don't give a chit. But it's a snappy little thing. I'm happy with it and that's all that counts.

Yes. It's like building a slant 6. You do it because you want to. I can promise you, any of yall on the forum no matter how quick or fast yours cars are could drive Vixen and if you were honest, you'd be impressed. It'll never be a V8 and I don't give a chit. But it's a snappy little thing. I'm happy with it and that's all that counts.
FREAKIN - A!!!!!!!

I would never rag on a guy that wants to build a stout 273/ 318 for any reason. I just understand, and I'm sure the guy building the killer 318 does too, that there are easier/cheaper/better mopar ways to go fast.
ANYBODY building a Mopar knows there are cheaper ways to go fast.

If you STRIPPED down a Dart (or some other lighter A Body) to the last possible ounce and built a HEALTHY race track only 273, I bet you'd easily be in the 11s.

I would never rag on a guy that wants to build a stout 273/ 318 for any reason. I just understand, and I'm sure the guy building the killer 318 does too, that there are easier/cheaper/better mopar ways to go fast.
ANYBODY building a Mopar knows there are cheaper ways to go fast.
I don't think it's gonna crazy more expensive, pistons price being the main difference, everything else is interchangeable, heads, rods, crank, valvetrain etc.. is all the same price. If building a similar 318/340/360 your gonna buy similar heads and stuff, depending on the rpm range might have a trickier valvetrain but don't see it being a dollar difference generally.

I cannot agree more strongly. Just look at Blueprint engines as an example. They cast BRAND NEW Ford small block engine blocks. Has BLUEPRINT cast right into the block, just like they do the Chevy. I doubt we'll ever see that for Mopar, because one, it's so much more of a smaller market and two, Mopar guys just barely will buy a Blueprint engine now with seasoned blocks with their cheap asses.

Part of that is even after paying back the loans Chrysler sat back and dicked the dog making minivans and front wheel drive junk while GM and Ford were making rear wheel drive V8’s.

That right there killed chrysler stuff. Just stupid. Ford couldn’t make that junk Fox body turd fast enough and the Camaro was moving fast too.

But not Chrysler. Idiots.

Part of that is even after paying back the loans Chrysler sat back and dicked the dog making minivans and front wheel drive junk while GM and Ford were making rear wheel drive V8’s.

That right there killed chrysler stuff. Just stupid. Ford couldn’t make that junk Fox body turd fast enough and the Camaro was moving fast too.

But not Chrysler. Idiots.
26 plus years they missed the boat. I remember it well. It was a sad time.

The factory generally bumped displacement up 20-30 cid at a time when looking for a steps up in power eg.. 170/198/225 273/318/340/360 350/361/383/400 383/413/426/440 mainly cause they built power inefficiently and to keep peak 4500-5000 ish rpm and work at normal driving rpms.

Funny how no replacement for displacement generally stops at 360/408 the 3rd smallest V8 bore of 12, when most big blocks meet or exceed those displacements.

But when rpm ain't a factor 318 to 440 are able to make the power most build 300-600 hp.

The car that gave the best bang for the buck was a 80's 5.0 mustang. They responded extremely well to bolt ons. Chevy had their Camaro and Ford had the 5.0 mustang and Chrysler had absolutely nothing. If you wanted to go fast, the 5.0 mustang was the ticket.

How come Ford guys can run with small cubic inches? Fox body 302's, 289 Falcons, or even a 272 ?? Us mopar guys need 360's or 408's. In some cases 512 BB's !!!! :eek:

:lol:

I did some research on the 1989 5.0 GT mustang with a 5 speed and off the show room floor they ran a quarter mile of 14.5 seconds. I'm thinking that mid to low 13's could be within easy reach with bolt ons.

The car that gave the best bang for the buck was a 80's 5.0 mustang. They responded extremely well to bolt ons. Chevy had their Camaro and Ford had the 5.0 mustang and Chrysler had absolutely nothing. If you wanted to go fast, the 5.0 mustang was the ticket.
Wish Chrysler keeped some kind of 2 door V8 performance car through the 80-90s we would probably have had better aftermarket support. Obviously it didn't take much power to compete.

Still is. Fox body anyway.....

the OPs title of this post seems flawed. There are LOTS of mopars way faster than 11s that are smaller than 408. I recall a dart 30 years ago in my area with a 273, it ran 10s in the 1/4.

This car belonged to some old friends, back in the mid-late 70's [ex-Glidden car]. It ran a Ford inline six. aluminum rods, big compression, roller cam, fuel injected, and the 6 sections of BOSS 302 cylinder heads... furnace-brazed together by Batten. It ran in I or J/Gas, depending on the weight. It also went 9.60's back in the day...

Bugenski and Fetiel.jpg

Bugenski Pinto pits.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not sure what you are talking about. I ran 11’s back the 1970’s with my 340 when I was a young punk And knew nothing.

that's almost 70 more cubes .... 11.09 @ 119 mph?

Well if we are going to compare cubic inches let’s compare cubic DOLLARS. Class car, engine probably build by a professional engine builder with lots of expensive parts. High rpm means lots of high dollar maintenance costs because I guarantee you that didn’t have stock rods and crank like mine did over 40 years ago. Lol. Get real here.

In Rockingham back in the 90s there was a car called the Darn Dart it was a 273 with X heads Dome Pistons that ran 10.90 all day long...Fact Jack!!

-
Back