Ford 272 C.I. runs low 11's. Why do Mopar guys need 408's?

-
Ford did have a 221 and a 260 V8, they could easily grow to a 272. But this guy is 6 popp'n it ??? :) I seen a Pontiac that had a 4 cyl (from the factory, half a 389) and it would go 11's
Those Pontiac 4 poppers came with a quadrajet. my cousin had one in a 64 Tempest.

The ford.272 15k... mopar 408 kit.. $1500... easily day one first pass and years on end under 12 seconds... with some associated parts under 11...
"Need"...???...

4/71 blown half-a-389, in a 32 ford street rod.

20180908_112514.jpg

20180908_112506.jpg

20180908_112519.jpg

The ford.272 15k... mopar 408 kit.. $1500... easily day one first pass and years on end under 12 seconds... with some associated parts under 11...
"Need"...???...
are you sure of those numbers ?? LOL....

That's like askin "A .22 will kill someone, why do you need somethin bigger?"

Cause in America we're free to choose.

For now.

That's like askin "A .22 will kill someone, why do you need somethin bigger?"

Cause in America we're free to choose.

For now.
but with a bigger gun, you expect a bigger dent. But when a .22 has more stopping power than your 30.-06, then time to check the cartridge :D

"For Now" :D

We got light cars, I thought 302 had poor flow, doesn't a 318 head flow better?
Trick Flow sbm heads are 195 cc. There are cnc'ed small Ford heads available with 225 cc. Flow 100 cfm more than a 318 head (or more). 195 cc sbf head is ordinary aftermarket.

but with a bigger gun, you expect a bigger dent. But when a .22 has more stopping power than your 30.-06, then time to check the cartridge :D

Not necessarily a bigger dent. But maybe doing the same job easier.

I said kill. Not stopping power. The .22 cartridge is responsible for more deaths than all other rounds combined.

Trick Flow sbm heads are 195 cc. There are cnc'ed small Ford heads available with 225 cc. Flow 100 cfm more than a 318 head (or more). 195 cc sbf head is ordinary aftermarket.
pretty sure he was talking stock heads

How come Ford guys can run with small cubic inches? Fox body 302's, 289 Falcons, or even a 272 ?? Us mopar guys need 360's or 408's. In some cases 512 BB's !!!! :eek:

:lol:

The real question is, why can’t it be done with a 318 or 273?

Probably because not only is the “Bigger is better” saying so prevalent but you have dozens of members dumb crap like;

Why bother!
I would never!
Boat anchor engine
Strictly a passenger engine
Turd engine
You HAVE to spin it to the MOON for it to MAKE POWER!
Waste of money - time - effort

And much much more….

How come Ford guys can run with small cubic inches? Fox body 302's, 289 Falcons, or even a 272 ?? Us mopar guys need 360's or 408's. In some cases 512 BB's !!!! :eek:

:lol:

My observation is because a Ford guy can afford too and have parts available to build five motors to every one Mopar. The cost comparison is just not even close and vender availability is endless.

My observation is because a Ford guy can afford too and have parts available to build five motors to every one Mopar. The cost comparison is just not even close and vender availability is endless.
I cannot agree more strongly. Just look at Blueprint engines as an example. They cast BRAND NEW Ford small block engine blocks. Has BLUEPRINT cast right into the block, just like they do the Chevy. I doubt we'll ever see that for Mopar, because one, it's so much more of a smaller market and two, Mopar guys just barely will buy a Blueprint engine now with seasoned blocks with their cheap asses.

The real question is, why can’t it be done with a 318 or 273?

Probably because not only is the “Bigger is better” saying so prevalent but you have dozens of members dumb crap like;

Why bother!
I would never!
Boat anchor engine
Strictly a passenger engine
Turd engine
You HAVE to spin it to the MOON for it to MAKE POWER!
Waste of money - time - effort

And much much more….
Mostly valid argument. I can build a 500hp 400cu in Chevy for a LOT less money than a 500hp 283, and make 100ft lbs more torque and run less rpm, less gear, and probably be faster.
The same situation exists in the Mopar world. Is there a good reason, (other than maybe a stock/superstock eliminator car) to build a 273 to 500hp (or any other number) instead of a 360/408?

Last edited:
-
Back