Ford Kickdown on Carb

-

bbizelli

Reaction score
Hey guys ive been trying to set my kickdown now and i think i realized what my problem is. Im pretty sure my carb has a ford kick down lever on it and its spaced too far away. Its a holley carb not sure of the model number right now but how do i fix it? I can post some pictures later so you can see as im sure that will help. Thanks!

Anyone have any ideas? Or even what im talking about? lol

Pics would definitely help.

Do you have the Chrysler throttle bracket adapter on the carb? You need that to correctly hook up Mopar kickdown.

I believe that is the setup for a ford on the carb i think im not 100% sure but i think it is. The end of the rod should be touching the stud and as soon as the throttle moves it should start to kick down. Isnt that how that works? And the rod is pretty much backed off all the way...

Attachments

• 100_2740_resized.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 329
  • 100_2741_resized.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 380
Also if you need pics from the from i can take some i didnt think about it at the time... And maybe it doesnt have the mopar adapter thats how it was when i bought it.

If you're at the end of the rod already,a simple fix would be to put a bolt through it so the throttle linkage hits the bolt.Then just adjust it wherever you need it to be !!

Or you could go to a Lokar cable kickdown.
This is on my slant 6 but no different to yours.

ka64pi.jpg

Yeah i thought about using a cable also i just havent decided between lokar or bouchillon kit.

You are correct about the throttle stud needing to contact the kick-down lever much sooner than yours does. I recall there is a distance spec in the FSM. Are you sure your slotted rod is for Mopar? On my cars, it looks different, with a hole in the end for a spring to pull it forward towards the throttle stud. Mine are 1965, so maybe things changed, but I recall such a spring in other's photos. It doesn't seem right to rely on just the spring built into the transmission's valve body. Also, why do you have the silver spring helping to open the throttle? That doesn't seem wise. I think it should be pulling the other way.

The one on the bottom pulls the throttle back it pivots in the middle. I ordered a lokar kickdown cable, bracket and throttle cable i believe the kickdown cable was on sale on jegs for 55 bucks i believe so i picked one up! And i got free shipping all of it was around 140 which i thought was a pretty good deal. Hopefully i get it by the end of the week. Anyone got any tips on installing them by any chance? Any help is greatly appreciated

Yeah.
Put a light return spring from the throttle lever at the transmission to somewhere at the front of your bellhousing.
The cable has a little more friction than linkages.

You need this bracket for your stock setup to work properly...

Attachments

• Mopar-Holley KD Bracket.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 389
By the spring on the tranny do you mean like this?

Attachments

• TransMounting.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 272
Its the diagram for the bouchillon kit lol the lokar cable comes with the mount for the tranny correct? I got the carb adapter for the cable and throttle cable. But just thought about the mount to the tranny

I amend my comment. Looking again at your 1st photo, I see that the silver spring is grounded at the kick-down rod, on a welded bracket, so it pulls the kick-down forward. I had assumed that bracket was bolted to the intake. Never saw a kick-down rod like that before. Anyway, you are going with a cable solution. I have the "Mopar throttle bracket" that 65Val shows (~$12 on ebay).

Well i got my lokar kit yesterday and installed it today. It went really smooth and looks great! Took it for a test drive and it drives soooooo much better then before it ***** when it should now and downshifts how it should also! Im really happy with how easily it went on and how well it looks and performs ill post some pics of it tomorrow or something. But just to make sure what speeds/rpms should it shift at at normal driving and when i get on it? My speedo is off a little and i dont have a light on it so i had to use a light on my phone to look at it but im pretty sure it shifts from 1-2 at around 20-25 and i didnt get to see 2-3 because i could drive hold my phone and try to look at it lol

Just adjust it so it feels right.
With a Lokar you can get close to correct adjustment quick and easy but that last little"getting it just right" takes a bit of patience as the adjustments become very small and fine.

-
Back