Found a 70 Coronet R/T ???

-

Button

74 Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Saw this today in a town next to us. It has a lot of "putty" in her but sure looks like fun to play with. Engine bay has some orange in it and I wonder if that was the cars original color?!?! I may contact them this week about what they are asking for the car. The hood emblem sure had me puzzled though. What would that 270 HP emblem be from originally?

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 000_0008.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 939
  • 000_0007.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 943
  • 000_0006.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 944
  • 000_0005.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 969
  • 000_0004.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,214
  • 000_0003.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 987
  • 000_0002.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 989
Cool find..is that a GM alternator?? No offense here, but judging by the paint job, that looks like the potential to be a painted pig... look it over really really good.

Cool find..is that a GM alternator?? No offense here, but judging by the paint job, that looks like the potential to be a painted pig... look it over really really good.

run away run away fast

Look at it very close, as I don't think it's an R/T. Side trim and dash is Coronet 440, and the hood inserts look to be from a Dart Swinger with Mexican Super B call outs.

It's just a Coronet with a 440 in it, don't know where the hell that hood came from. Column shifted automatic with a clutch pedal, I don't think it even knows what it is. I wouldn't touch it, probably find more rot underneath.

Hood's most-likely off of a '70 Coronet from the Chrysler de Mexico plant !

Look for a v.i.n. ; if you don't see a dash-mounted v.i.n. , then there's a very good chance that you've got a legit Mexican-market "B" Body .

The "270 HP" engine was a hopped-up 318 with a 340 top end ; an exclusive-to-Mexico engine .

The "G.M." alternator is a locally-supplied Mexico piece .

The MPH speedometre has me kind of stumped ... I *believe* that Mexico-market cars had KPH speedos .

Seeing that you reside in a border state , there's a very good chance that it's a Mexican B-Body with a U.S.-built big block swapped in
( no big block-equipped cars were manufactured in the Chrysler de Mexico plant ) .

Got any-more info on this oddity ?

Hood's most-likely off of a '70 Coronet from the Chrysler de Mexico plant !

Look for a v.i.n. ; if you don't see a dash-mounted v.i.n. , then there's a very good chance that you've got a legit Mexican-market "B" Body .

The "270 HP" engine was a hopped-up 318 with a 340 top end ; an exclusive-to-Mexico engine .

The "G.M." alternator is a locally-supplied Mexico piece .

The MPH speedometre has me kind of stumped ... I *believe* that Mexico-market cars had KPH speedos .

Seeing that you reside in a border state , there's a very good chance that it's a Mexican B-Body with a U.S.-built big block swapped in
( no big block-equipped cars were manufactured in the Chrysler de Mexico plant ) .

Got any-more info on this oddity ?

I looked at the speedometer closely and it is KPH. Has 200 at the end. I believe you are right about it being a Mexican car.

Did anyone notice it has a automatic column but a clutch pedal?

(Whut, no clutchflite?)

I don't know what it IS, but I know what it ISN'T. It isn't an R/T

who cares its a one year car and plenty of parts out there for them I would buy it

call me an idiot idc but this is wat i see, i see a 70 coronet with a 440 or other big block, with a custom hood, i do think the buldges came from an abody cuda 383 but dont hold me to that, i also think it was a 4 spd car that for some reason has been changed to an auto for drag racing, and he just didnt change the pedals. the speedo idk about cause i cant see it that well. thats wat i see

I would not even consider buying it, it's a bondoed up piece of sh*t whatever it is.
It's not an R/T or at least a domestic one and it's just slapped together.
It's a heinz 57 car with coronet 500 or R/T tail lights and panel, coronet 440 side trim below the rear window, sawed off auto brake pedal with clutch pedal, regular coronet low line speedo with column auto, cobbled together hood, and did i mention it's totally bondoed up?
If the engine actually runs, and it does look kike a rb 440, it's worth $1000 in parts maximum for the whole car.
I would love to see what the v.i.n. says.
Just my 2 cents.
Tom.

I looked at the speedometer closely and it is KPH. Has 200 at the end. I believe you are right about it being a Mexican car.

Thank you for the affirmation regarding the speedo . I looked at the pic again after I posted my initial reply , and I did indeed recognise a 200 K/pH speedo !
I messaged a couple of my buddies whom own Mexican-market MoPars , and am now awaiting their replies . In the interm , I'm going got so a little more research on my own ...

That car is definitely cobbled together with a lot of corners cut. It's still worth more than $1000 if it runs and isn't totally swiss cheese as far as the body goes. Does it have the sure-grip rear end? Good working trans? Solid frame? The paint job is aweful. It's not sublime I can tell you that. And the overspray in the engine bay definitely tells me that the car was just pieced together. The painted bumpers look like a$$ and the tail panel isn't even black like it should be. I will buy the tail panel from you if you decide to buy the car. LOL The grills were just painted black as well. Somone just wants to flip this thing bad because they probably realized what it would cost to do things the right way. It still may be worth it if the price is right and you have the money to make it nice again.

Here's a pic of what the tail panel should look like. Also I have attached a pic of my coronet 440 with 440 six pack.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 746
  • 2011-09-11 15.54.22.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 762
1970 Dodge Coronet R/T and 500's did not have a rallye dash, only the 70 Super Bee did.

Actually, the rallye dash cluster was an option on domestic R/Ts, and at any rate, all R/Ts had a 150 mph speedo in them, that's what i was referring to.
This speedo cluster appears to me to be metric (200 km/h top end) supporting the Mexican made origins. The 200 km/h translates to roughly 120 mp/h, which is the same as a standard gauge cluster in the low line Coronets.
If it was made in Mexico, all bets are off trying to compare it to a domestic car, as they put together packages and badged them a lot differently than the cars we are used to in the U.S. and Canada.
At any rate, it's a bondoed up p.o.s. that's just thrown together with a brutal paint job. :wack:

Oh, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the drivetrain, wireing, and brakes are of the same quality as the paint job.
just sayin'......

She does appear quite cobbeled together. That along with the wife waiting patiently in the truck was a reason I hurried with the pictures and didn't bother with the VIN#. I never even noticed the speedo when I popped my head inside real quick. My time and effort is better spent on our father/son 74 Dart anyways! But it was sure fun posting it on here to see all the comments.

Attachments

• Dart polished.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 719
That is a strange beast, I'm sure its a Mexican car.
But wtf is up with that clutch peddle.

If you like it buy it.

Have fun with it as a driver and if a rare car restore it.

But sure looks interesting.

Just my 2 cents lol

:blob:

-
Back