Found an engine yesterday

-

'Cause

need lots of parts
Reaction score
I just had to tell someone!

My neighbor (Mark) that owns a Polaris dealership here and is always finding deals and trades for RZR's.
He was showing me one he bought outright from some guy that was moving and selling most everything, the guy sold it for less than a third of it's value!!! He just wanted to get rid of a bunch of 'stuff'. Mark told me the guy said he had an 'old' Mopar engine in the back of his garage that he wanted to just get rid of. Mark wasn't sure of what it was, I got the guys number and called him and asked if he knew what it was, he said it was a 340... SOOooo...
I get his address and bust my *** over to his house! We had to move some stuff to get to it, couldn't tell what it was until we slid it out and I saw the side of the block. YES !!! It was a 340!!! COMPLETE, carb to pan! Date code was May of '69. I have been looking for a decent 340 builder for a good 8 months, and here is one in front of me just a few miles from the house. The guy told me it was from a Dart 340, that was wrecked/totaled. He bought it to do a 'future' car build, but never got to it! (NOTE: I live near Sedona AZ so I was guessing I would have to be going far and wide to find even a builder engine.) Anyway, I get the thing home put it on a stand and really start to check it out. Pull off the intake, No rust, perfectly clean. Then the heads, X heads, large valves all the numbers are matching, this thing has never been into. Being a '69 the comp has to be 10.5:1, and it is in perfect. I'm so pleased I almost wet myself!!!
I'm probably going to take it down check/clean everything and put it back together, most likely with a thicker head gasket to get the Comp down some. Oh, I guess I didn't mention, it had an Edelbrock intake with a holley on it and I also a new Weind dual quad TR with matched 450 Holleys.
I have NEVER been this lucky, ever. I kind of feel like I hit the Lottery!!!!
Anway, I just HAD to tell some one.

This will be going into my '71 Scamp.

Ken
RLTW

I just had to tell someone!

My neighbor (Mark) that owns a Polaris dealership here and is always finding deals and trades for RZR's.
He was showing me one he bought outright from some guy that was moving and selling most everything, the guy sold it for less than a third of it's value!!! He just wanted to get rid of a bunch of 'stuff'. Mark told me the guy said he had an 'old' Mopar engine in the back of his garage that he wanted to just get rid of. Mark wasn't sure of what it was, I got the guys number and called him and asked if he knew what it was, he said it was a 340... SOOooo...
I get his address and bust my *** over to his house! We had to move some stuff to get to it, couldn't tell what it was until we slid it out and I saw the side of the block. YES !!! It was a 340!!! COMPLETE, carb to pan! Date code was May of '69. I have been looking for a decent 340 builder for a good 8 months, and here is one in front of me just a few miles from the house. The guy told me it was from a Dart 340, that was wrecked/totaled. He bought it to do a 'future' car build, but never got to it! (NOTE: I live near Sedona AZ so I was guessing I would have to be going far and wide to find even a builder engine.) Anyway, I get the thing home put it on a stand and really start to check it out. Pull off the intake, No rust, perfectly clean. Then the heads, X heads, large valves all the numbers are matching, this thing has never been into. Being a '69 the comp has to be 10.5:1, and it is in perfect. I'm so pleased I almost wet myself!!!
I'm probably going to take it down check/clean everything and put it back together, most likely with a thicker head gasket to get the Comp down some. Oh, I guess I didn't mention, it had an Edelbrock intake with a holley on it and I also a new Weind dual quad TR with matched 450 Holleys.
I have NEVER been this lucky, ever. I kind of feel like I hit the Lottery!!!!
Anway, I just HAD to tell some one.

This will be going into my '71 Scamp.

Ken
RLTW
WOW , u did good. Need some of that here !!

The actual static CR in that engine is more like 9.6-9.7 even with the original head gaskets, so don't worry too much over the compression ratio. I would put a 1121G or 1008 head gasket back in.

Congrats on the awesome find!

And to think a free 340 was somewhere close to my backyard! What a great deal. You might want to buy a lottery ticket this week!

And to think a free 340 was somewhere close to my backyard! What a great deal. You might want to buy a lottery ticket this week!

Hi, are you in the 'area'?

I could buy a hundred lottery tickets and NOT have a winner! LoL

The engine was in Cottonwood.

I just paid $400.00 for a stock bore 340 bare block. Congrats, what a find.

I would have been HAPPY to of found that !!!
I'm just beside myself with silly giddy joy finding the one that I did !!!!
I'm not sure I could of found a better one ANYWHERE !

I'll be taking the crank and piston assemblies out today to check them, but by what I see everything is CLEAN and VERY useable !
The pushrods were all clean and straight, the lifters had litterally NO wear, and that I could see of the cam, it looked as good as new. I have a call into the guy I got it from to find out just when he got it, the thing could not have many miles on it. there was some 'gummy' oil inside, but the thing may have been sitting since 1970...

Ken
RLTW

I would have been HAPPY to of found that !!!
I'm just beside myself with silly giddy joy finding the one that I did !!!!
I'm not sure I could of found a better one ANYWHERE !

I'll be taking the crank and piston assemblies out today to check them, but by what I see everything is CLEAN and VERY useable !
The pushrods were all clean and straight, the lifters had litterally NO wear, and that I could see of the cam, it looked as good as new. I have a call into the guy I got it from to find out just when he got it, the thing could not have many miles on it. there was some 'gummy' oil inside, but the thing may have been sitting since 1970...

Ken
RLTW
Yeah hopefully you'll be able to just regasket.and enjoy.

Hi, are you in the 'area'?

I could buy a hundred lottery tickets and NOT have a winner! LoL

The engine was in Cottonwood.

Well...the entire state is my backyard figuratively, but I live down in the Valley. Now I know one guy here that is in Yavapai County @TrailBeast - I am going to call him out and tell him he needs to mind the backyard better and also so he can commiserate with me, and mess with you. Any yes I am willing to rid you of all this guilt by taking it off your hands - I think you would sleep much better.

Well...the entire state is my backyard figuratively, but I live down in the Valley. Now I know one guy here that is in Yavapai County @TrailBeast - I am going to call him out and tell him he needs to mind the backyard better and also so he can commiserate with me, and mess with you. Any yes I am willing to rid you of all this guilt by taking it off your hands - I think you would sleep much better.
HaHa LoL...
I sleep just fine, with a large smile on my face !!!
Is TrailBeast up here in Verde Valley? I could use some 'knowledge' in putting this car together. A bit new to the MOPAR world, Mustangs (Ford) a different matter, I had a Mustang restoration shop in Denver area a while back, Littleton Mustang.
I retired down near Buckeye a few years ago and moved up here just over a year ago. Lovin' my 3 car attached Garage and a separate NINE car with a full shop!!!

Ken
RLTW

That’s awesome! I was given a 73 dated 340 a few years back. Finally tore it down this past summer. Block is 0.060” over and the top ring was broken on each piston. Pistons are brand new and rods are reconditioned. Cast crank measures std/std. I picked up a std block that needs one sleeve this summer for $200,so with a set of pistons, I could screw a 340 together pretty easily!!

HaHa LoL...
I sleep just fine, with a large smile on my face !!!
Is TrailBeast up here in Verde Valley? I could use some 'knowledge' in putting this car together. A bit new to the MOPAR world, Mustangs (Ford) a different matter, I had a Mustang restoration shop in Denver area a while back, Littleton Mustang.
I retired down near Buckeye a few years ago and moved up here just over a year ago. Lovin' my 3 car attached Garage and a separate NINE car with a full shop!!!

Ken
RLTW

I'm over in Prescott Valley, but I do love to drive.:D
I'd love to be involved in your car when I can.

I'm over in Prescott Valley, but I do love to drive.:D
I'd love to be involved in your car when I can.

Greg.. I sure wouldn't turn down any one with the experience and knowledge you have !!!

---Chatted with you in the So West thread area.

Ken
RLTW

Greg.. I sure wouldn't turn down any one with the experience and knowledge you have !!!

---Chatted with you in the So West thread area.

Ken
RLTW

Boy do I feel buttered up:D

I love doing on these cars and it really doesn't matter what.

Free 340 are great, my last one was also gave to me. And my cousin got a free one also.
A friend of ours was cleaning up his dads estate, and he was going to leave them for the next owners. I objected and they were loaded in my truck.

Wow! That’s some crazy chit right there I tell ya!
Measure everything up and do the math for the actual comp ratio. Once you install a larger cam the dynamic ratio will drop and regular pump gas can be used... if the cam is large enough.

Congrats and enjoy!!!!

I seriously searched for at least eight months EVERY day looking... just seemed impossible to find. There were a couple, out of state, half-way across the country. And this was sitting only a few miles away.
And now I hear ya'll find them all over the place !!! I really thought that they were a bit rare to get a hold of.
Guess they aren't as special as I thought. LoL

As far as the comp ratio, I'm pretty certain it is all stock and never opened up previously. I found today it is a forged steel and not cast crank.

Ken
RLTW

-
Back