Found part of the problem (pic) :D

-
Yeah pishta don't sell junk. I've bought from him before. He's a good dude. If he says it's good, it's good. Just stick new lifters on it and break it in like a new one. Remember though, it may not run "as good" as it could without the matching 340 valve springs. But with the free cam, you could afford Comp 901-16s.

If it were mine I'd tear it down, thoroughly clean it, and check everything...wiped cam = lots of tiny metal particles floating through the engine.

If I was going to go that far I would just replace it with a known good 360, but I considered the part about the particles like you mentioned as well as the oil filter part.
The oil looks ok without any sparkly or sheen to it at all and does not look like it was just changed or anything, so I figured if I could fix it for less than a few hundred I would go that route.
It also didn't smoke or anything when we brought home (just missed real bad) but it had close to equal compression on all 8 and decent oil pressure.

That said, I still have to see what the heads gaskets and valves look like to decide.
Rather than dump more than a few hundred into fixing a 318 I'd rather just replace the engine, due to exactly what you said.

Yeah pishta don't sell junk. I've bought from him before. He's a good dude. If he says it's good, it's good. Just stick new lifters on it and break it in like a new one. Remember though, it may not run "as good" as it could without the matching 340 valve springs. But with the free cam, you could afford Comp 901-16s.

Great minds man. :D

I'll take the deal with Pishta to PM's and have him shoot that over via the gorilla (might get there) shipping Co.
It's the closest also, so makes sense to me.

Thank you all for your help with this.

If I was going to go that far I would just replace it with a known good 360, but I considered the part about the particles like you mentioned as well as the oil filter part.
The oil looks ok without any sparkly or sheen to it at all and does not look like it was just changed or anything, so I figured if I could fix it for less than a few hundred I would go that route.
It also didn't smoke or anything when we brought home (just missed real bad) but it had close to equal compression on all 8 and decent oil pressure.

That said, I still have to see what the heads gaskets and valves look like to decide.
Rather than dump more than a few hundred into fixing a 318 I'd rather just replace the engine, due to exactly what you said.

It's the bearings I'd be concerned about

It's the bearings I'd be concerned about

Yea, one of my first thought also, but like I said it has good oil pressure and no noises so I figured it might be worth a try.
If it doesn't work out I'll get an LA360 for it.

Or maybe put my 318 in her car and the 360 in mine. :D
My car already has all the right equipment to take advantage of a 360 anyway.

I've run the cam .410/.425 RRR recommended in a dd and it was a nice cam.

I've also run a stock used 340 cam in a 318 with 360 heads, 9.2 compression, and rhoades lifters and it was very nice also.

Both cams idled smooth, smooth power, good vacuum and economy.

I'm, not posting this to start an argument, but, in order for metal shavings from the cam lobe to get to the bearings, they would first have to fall into the oil pan, be sucked into the pickup pass through the oil pump.......which is all very possible.

Then, they would make their way to the oil filter and have to go through that before going to the bearings. Getting TO the oil filter is very possible for metal shavings that have fallen into the pan. Getting PAST the filter is I suppose possible, but not very probable. At all.

I'm, not posting this to start an argument, but, in order for metal shavings from the cam lobe to get to the bearings, they would first have to fall into the oil pan, be sucked into the pickup pass through the oil pump.......which is all very possible.

Then, they would make their way to the oil filter and have to go through that before going to the bearings. Getting TO the oil filter is very possible for metal shavings that have fallen into the pan. Getting PAST the filter is I suppose possible, but not very probable. At all.

Wiping a cam lobe can produce particles small enough to pass through the filter and do damage. A filter is not a 100% catch-all for particles in the oil, especially the cheaper crap you get at the big name parts stores.

He can roll the dice and maybe be ok without pulling it and cleaning it, but I really doubt it. Given what his future plans are, in my opinion he should just go ahead and replace it with the 360 now. Running that 318 without a thorough cleaning and checking may ruin it.

Just my .02

Done it before and will probably do it again. As long as it is stored in order there is actually less to worry about than breaking in a new one....

I worry less about particles getting through the pump and filter than one or two dropping down on the crank and wedging into the side clearance of the journal. Not a high probability either way IMO, and plenty of worn lobe cams have been changed out without the engine being torn down. So if it is not a high value engine, then I'd replace the cam without the cleanup. I'd just dump some of kero down in the pan to wash it out, or better yet, pull the pan and clean it. (You might find other interesting things in there.) Then prime it up with some cheap oil and a good filter, then then dump that and the filter, and reprime with better oil.

If it were a multi-thousand $$ engine, then I'd definitely tear it down.

I worry less about particles getting through the pump and filter than one or two dropping down on the crank and wedging into the side clearance of the journal. Not a high probability either way IMO, and plenty of worn lobe cams have been changed out without the engine being torn down. So if it is not a high value engine, then I'd replace the cam without the cleanup. I'd just dump some of kero down in the pan to wash it out, or better yet, pull the pan and clean it. (You might find other interesting things in there.) Then prime it up with some cheap oil and a good filter, then then dump that and the filter, and reprime with better oil.

If it were a multi-thousand $$ engine, then I'd definitely tear it down.

That's the difference right there. (worth) even a running 318 around here is only a couple hundred average.
It will get rinsed as much as I can with it in the car.
You guys may not realize that I'm not retired or anything like that, so I don't currently have the time nor the place to do that kind of work here without it taking an excessive amount of time.
Hell, the closest thing I have to a driveway is Gravel. :D

Just throw another cam in it and hit the key, its just a 318.
Plenty of them around cheap if it takes a crap.

Thru the decades we replaced dozens of wiped cams,, I did it as an apprentice, at the dealership without choice,, and after the first few dozen,, and becoming a ticketed tech, con't to do so,, as tearing the engine down, was not a practical alternative, and had already proven (to me) unnecessary,

I serviced these same vehicles for years/decades after,, and I don't remember a single one coming back for anything related..

FWIW... hope it helps

Just throw another cam in it and hit the key, its just a 318.
Plenty of them around cheap if it takes a crap.

That's the plan, but I do want to make sure the valves at least look ok.
Gotta check since it was only opening the valve a little bit but the bottom I'm comfortable with.
Might even have a rotten head gasket, and for what it takes to check I have to do it while it's this far.

Greg, I have my original 318 from my 71 sitting on the shop floor. I'll make you a sweet(cheap) deal on it. Motor runs and has 118K on it.

Greg, I have my original 318 from my 71 sitting on the shop floor. I'll make you a sweet(cheap) deal on it. Motor runs and has 118K on it.

Thank you for the offer Fred, we may need to do that if this engine doesn't work out for some reason.

Appreciated.

Pishta's offer ,& Rob's comment in post 21 : Wonderful help, & advice. I would rather put a good known used cam in an unknown mill,rather than a brand new one. No one but the last owners,know where that engine has been.

If you are worried about using a used cam, remember you start your car every day with a used cam.......

Pishta's offer ,& Rob's comment in post 21 : Wonderful help, & advice. I would rather put a good known used cam in an unknown mill,rather than a brand new one. No one but the last owners,know where that engine has been.

Yup, exactly.

If you are worried about using a used cam, remember you start your car every day with a used cam.......

No, I'm not concerned with putting a used cam in it at all.

Thru the decades we replaced dozens of wiped cams,, I did it as an apprentice, at the dealership without choice,, and after the first few dozen,, and becoming a ticketed tech, con't to do so,, as tearing the engine down, was not a practical alternative, and had already proven (to me) unnecessary,

I serviced these same vehicles for years/decades after,, and I don't remember a single one coming back for anything related..

FWIW... hope it helps

It does, thanks. :D

-
Back