Found this on the garage floor after I pulled my engine today - anyone ID it?

-

64DartGTinAZ

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it may be some sort of shim? Came loose somehow while pulling the slant out of the GT this afternoon and ended up on the ground.

Found a hand made shim on top of the driver's side motor mount, too - maybe this was stacked on top of that one? Why would you shim the driver's side of the motor?

Attachments

• IMG_4301.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 427
What DesertRat said, shim from a job dun, could have feel out from some one leaving it, and it just fell out now, did it look that clean when you picked it up ?

Front end or body panel shim or in your case motor mount shim.

Thanks, all - thought it was probably a shim of some sort

(and it was just clean and shiny on the floor after we pulled the cherry picker back)

Hey, giant things can be off set as well. Never mind the crooked!

Speaking of slant 6's and motor mounts. :D

When I did this stuff for a living we had a guy (won't mention nationality) bring his pickup in with shifting problems.
It was a column 3 speed and when I got in and tried it, it felt like it was bound up pretty tight.
I opened the hood to take a look and guess what I saw?
He had made a steel block about 4 inches thick to try and get the motor vertical like other 6 cylinders his buddies had (Fords and chevys) because they told him it was not supposed to be leaning over like it was.

He was driving a slant 6 Dodge pickup and the linkage was ALL twised up.
The transmission was at almost a 45 degree angle and the mount was sheered right off.

It was all I could do to not bust out laughing.

Speaking of slant 6's and motor mounts. :D

When I did this stuff for a living we had a guy (won't mention nationality) bring his pickup in with shifting problems.
It was a column 3 speed and when I got in and tried it, it felt like it was bound up pretty tight.
I opened the hood to take a look and guess what I saw?
He had made a steel block about 4 inches thick to try and get the motor vertical like other 6 cylinders his buddies had (Fords and chevys) because they told him it was not supposed to be leaning over like it was.

He was driving a slant 6 Dodge pickup and the linkage was ALL twised up.
The transmission was at almost a 45 degree angle and the mount was sheered right off.

It was all I could do to not bust out laughing.

Would love to see pics of that!!!

-
Back