Freds 73 Scamp restore on a budget

-
Started on building my center console and I'm not real good at designs but I like what I did so far. started out with cardboard to get the right fit.
20201206_125612.jpg

20201206_125455.jpg
I used bondo over that to smooth it off. And I know plaster would work but I had some old bondo that needed to be used.
This is my mold and will fiberglass over it and console will be pulled off it when it dries and will finish shaping it to fit the car.
My thoughts are to use vinyl or carpet on the sides and and the top will be polished stainless steal with some wood grain to match the interior.
Hope it works. lol

You being a good bodyman, you have the proper design down now !

You are probably way ahead of me here:

1. Spray headliner adhesive on the cardboard.

2. Cut and fold down wax paper and smooth down to the adhesive.

3. Now you have a mold realease working model set up.

4. Cover with 2 layers of Fiberglass and Resin, like they do in boat building.

5. Strip out the inner cardboard after Fiber Glass sets up.

6. You can now put another layer of Fiberglass and Resin on the inside to build more strength add mounting brackets and corner support braces.

7. Now do your magic auto body skills to the exterior of the console, and then paint to the color of your choice.

Cool, Cool . . .

You being a good bodyman, you have the proper design down now !

You are probably way ahead of me here:

1. Spray headliner adhesive on the cardboard.

2. Cut and fold down wax paper and smooth down to the adhesive.

3. Now you have a mold realease working model set up.

4. Cover with 2 layers of Fiberglass and Resin, like they do in boat building.

5. Strip out the inner cardboard after Fiber Glass sets up.

6. You can now put another layer of Fiberglass and Resin on the inside to build more strength add mounting brackets and corner support braces.

7. Now do your magic auto body skills to the exterior of the console, and then paint to the color of your choice.

Cool, Cool . . .

Never thought of using wax paper that's a good idea I have headliner glue and just looked and need to by wax paper.
Thanks buddy I'll do that.

Mad it when you show the picture of it in pieces all over the floor lol.... You are on point with the woodgrain and stainless trim. Can't wait to see the finished product....

JW
If I get off my dead *** I'll get it done but after restoring the car and painting a plane last winter I'm kinda slacking off this winter. lol

20201206_135434.jpg
Another thing I'm working on is trying to cover the wiring between the grill and core support .

20201206_135332.jpg
Got this far but not liking it so far.
That's stainless steel that I was going to polish up but I think I wasted some good metal.
Any ideas would be great.

View attachment 1715643743 Another thing I'm working on is trying to cover the wiring between the grill and core support .
As always Fred, to JWs point you got some mad skills going on there for sure. And I mean seriously, how many of us land an airplane in town, taxi to the house, rip the wings off it, and paint it in the garage? Can’t wait to swing back by your shop and drink your whiskey and eat some of your culinary cuisine! I am likely done bouncing around till Spring. See ya next spring! PS I love the console creation!

As always Fred, to JWs point you got some mad skills going on there for sure. And I mean seriously, how many of us land an airplane in town, taxi to the house, rip the wings off it, and paint it in the garage? Can’t wait to swing back by your shop and drink your whiskey and eat some of your culinary cuisine! I am likely done bouncing around till Spring. See ya next spring! PS I love the console creation!
Spring works that'll give me time to stock pile booze before ya get here. lol
I'll more than likely be in your neighborhood before spring My kid in Fargo just bought a house way south of you and need to go there sometime soon.

If I was going to do something like that I would run the piece full width of car?
That's the plan but remember the interior part of the hood takes a dive down to the latch at the point that I cut the steel. Your better at this than me and more precise and know how to do this kinda stuff.

View attachment 1715643745 Got this far but not liking it so far.
That's stainless steel that I was going to polish up but I think I wasted some good metal.
Any ideas would be great.
I'd paint the cover the same as the car color and have it cover the top of the grill too. Get some real thin gauged aluminum and put some bead work on it. Dzus fasteners would be trick. That console is going to be SWEET!!!
Beer holder could be the last thing you put in. Just drill a hole and drop a cup holder it in there.

I would leave it alone or find a different way to route the wires if you dont want to see them.
I don't know a better way but I got time to deal with it nothing much going on for me this is my tinker toy in the bottom half of my life.

I'd paint the cover the same as the car color and have it cover the top of the grill too. Get some real thin gauged aluminum and put some bead work on it. Dzus fasteners would be trick. That console is going to be SWEET!!!
Beer holder could be the last thing you put in. Just drill a hole and drop a cup holder it in there.
Yea I think your right the cover would be better car color and the cup holder is a good idea. I'm getting ready to build the console glove box next and the lid.

Yea I think your right the cover would be better car color and the cup holder is a good idea. I'm getting ready to build the console glove box next and the lid.
I don't have enough imagination to build anything like that. I'd probably be surfing Amazon and try to graph some storage and holders into what you have. Or a salvage yard.

I don't have enough imagination to build anything like that. I'd probably be surfing Amazon and try to graph some storage and holders into what you have. Or a salvage yard.
I think you would be better at it than me.
Give me time I already screwed up more than once and am sure I'll do it again.

Are you looking for some extra work? Don't say yes just to be nice, lol. I mean if you're bored.... My 68 Barracuda needs it's quarters doctored and the trunk extensions replaced, etc. And I bet you could find quite a bit to do on it.

-
Back