Fresh air vent ??

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just installed my drivers side fresh air vent..and it looks "off"... The door is not facing straight ahead... It looks like the whole fresh air unit is turned towards the passenger side. Maybe this is normal...maybe it's not and quality control missed it at the factory...or, maybe I screwed up somehow, which would be hard to do since there's pre drilled holes that pre set studs go into..
I can't find any pictures that show this vent installed in a car to compare with.
I took pictures of mine but it's hard to see what I'm saying.. If someone could look at there's and let me know if the door faces straight ahead, like the passenger side does, or if it's cocked a bit..
Thanks..

20231020_210725.jpg

It should be straight.
Thanks... Makes sense for it to be straight. I don't understand what the problem is then. I certainly don't remember it being like this when I took it out. To be straight, I have to open the door over an inch...

20231020_220418.jpg

20231020_220722.jpg

20231020_220722.jpg

Mine on Vixen, my 64 Valiant is straight, too.

I don't understand how anything could change. Aren't they pre-drilled holes?

Shop manual's are a good place to look.
'73 Dodge Body manual
1697888773388.png

Better pics needed to help. Rivets removed and reinstalled? Using old foam on top?
Got pics before installation?
I'll try and get better pix.. Original rivets intact. New foam / seal on top. It's not the door itself that's "off center".. the whole unit is "turned".

He's not mistaken guys.

Here's the original heater box I took out of my car. Never been removed since the car was built, door is still attached by the original rivets.
Guess the quality control wasn't as good back then...

1697891219166.png

First picture 67 Barracuda, Second is a 71 Demon , They looked turned in the pictures. I have cars here if yo need more pictures . These are what I have loaded on my computer. They do looked turned. Demon is really noticeable

100_0017 (2).JPG

DSCF0025[1].jpg

First picture 67 Barracuda, Second is a 71 Demon , They looked turned in the pictures. I have cars here if yo need more pictures . These are what I have loaded on my computer. They do looked turned. Demon is really noticeable

View attachment 1716156404

View attachment 1716156407
Thanks for the pix..!
The Demon pic looks exactly like mine.. Guess I'll just let it be.. strange though, others are saying theirs are straight.
If you get a chance, look at your other cars you mentioned... I'd be curious to know.

OMM's pictures seem to show that it isn't that uncommon, probably a production variance. If it bothers you (it would if it was me, too), take a small rat-tail file and elongate each of the mounting holes a bit so you can rotate it until it's straight- I bet it wouldn't even take 1/4" at the flange to move the front face enough to straighten it out. Nobody will ever know (I won't tell).

OMM's pictures seem to show that it isn't that uncommon, probably a production variance. If it bothers you (it would if it was me, too), take a small rat-tail file and elongate each of the mounting holes a bit so you can rotate it until it's straight- I bet it wouldn't even take 1/4" at the flange to move the front face enough to straighten it out. Nobody will ever know (I won't tell).
Thought about that..well actually drilling out new holes, but I'll wait till I see pictures of some that are straight on.
Vendor that made those probably had forgiving tolerance range...or quality control just didn't care.

I had the ones out of my 66 and they just have the J hooks. The flanged ones are obviously newer models. With A/C?

-
Back