fresh engine blowing oil filter o ring on start up

-
Oh boy is this getting convoluted and fast. It ain't the plate not having enough holes, it isn't a plug that is out or driven in too far. That plug that is being discussed seats on a shoulder or ledge where the hole necks down to a smaller size. Very hard to drive past it's intended position. It's your relief valve in the oil pump. When you can blow the oil filter o'ring when priming it is always the pump/relief valve. Don't waste anymore time chasing anything else. Seen this more than a few times. The last time it was on a 440 and that was a 10 minute job to remove the relief, polish it, re-install and get running. J.Rob
e plug.

Ok guys.
I found the plug. I went to the broken motor which is stripped down. the plug I can see from the bottom. I measure down from the top on both motors through the oil sending unit hole. The depth on both motors is 7 3/4 inches. I,m pulling the pan this morning. Lucy the whole front supension is just rebuilt so the tie rods should come off easy. The only thing left it could be is the oil pump relief.

Updatd later.

e plug.

Ok guys.
I found the plug. I went to the broken motor which is stripped down. the plug I can see from the bottom. I measure down from the top on both motors through the oil sending unit hole. The depth on both motors is 7 3/4 inches. I,m pulling the pan this morning. Lucy the whole front supension is just rebuilt so the tie rods should come off easy. The only thing left it could be is the oil pump relief.

Updatd later.
Pulled the pan and pump. Relief was not stuck. Talked to melling oil manufacture and they said the tolerance could be too close for the pump to releave enough pressure. going to again next week. they said it has happened before, pump couldn,t releive enough pressure and would blow filter o ring. Going to order a new pump and try again next week.

big block

Did you have the plunger/piston in your hand? J.Rob
I do have it in my hand and there are a few light scratches on 1 side of the slide. I can send a picture to your phone or email address. I can,t post pictures here anymore.

It worked fine before the engine blew up and it injested metal....the clearances didn't change.

Just put a new standard Melling M72 pump on it and be done with it. I would never use a pump off an engine that blew up. I agree with some of the other comments and bet there was crap sucked into the pump and screwed up the relief valve.

Just put a new standard Melling M72 pump on it and be done with it. I would never use a pump off an engine that blew up. I agree with some of the other comments and bet there was crap sucked into the p2 stock me and screwed up the relief valve.
I agree. Going to pick up a pump this weekend. An m 72 stock melling.

Just put a new standard Melling M72 pump on it and be done with it. I would never use a pump off an engine that blew up. I agree with some of the other comments and bet there was crap sucked into the pump and screwed up the relief valve.
Ok guys here it is.
Gliderider06 called it. Put in a oreillys m72 stock replacememt pump and problem cured.It was the relief valve on the m-72 hv pump. Everything is working fine now. Running 40 lb pressure when warm at icle and 65 lb at speed.
I,m a happy man and I sure learned some new things about the LA 360 that I didn,t know before.
Thanks for all the input guys.
Big Blocks are easier.

I was not the first to say the pump was bad, just the last to say. Like I said, that I agreed with some of the other comments that the pump was bad.
Glad you got it fixed

-
Back