fresh engine blowing oil filter o ring on start up

-

big block

Reaction score
I am using a fram ph16 short filter because of the engine to transmission braces. I have run this filter on other la engines with no problem. The oil pump is a melling high voluem pump that I took off of the old motor. It only had a thousand miles on it an ran about 50 lbs pressure after warming up.I,m stumped guys I need some suggestions. This is a fresh motor. it was vatted and all the cam bearings were installed by a machine shop. they were all lined up over a oil hole.

Thanks big block

Use a higher quality filter. Oil pressure too high?

There was a thread with this link earlier, pay attention to the o ring seal comments

I lost one on my 318 dart years ago. It was a fram!

Stupid question, I realize, but are you 100% positive you do not have an old filter seal stuck to the filter adapter? I have seen people swear they did not and guess what? There one was. Just food for thought.

no I have the plate and mounting bolt with the square hole in it in my hand. I went through 2 filters today and both did the same

Some fram do not have a relief valve in them. They deleted for cost saving. And some are omitted for a specific application.
Cut them open and let us know what you find.

According to summit, ph16 specs show a 8-10 psi relief valve.

Does it show oil pressure on the gauge before it blows the gasket? If not I'm betting that the soft plug in the oil feed passage from the pump is driven to far.

Had an engine years ago that leaked oil past seal. Only solution was to tighten filter very snug
( beyond filter manufacturers recommend values) 1/2 - 3/4 turns tighter.
Yote

I drilled same size holes between , and I think I mighta doubled up the plates. Or maybe I doubled up the gaskets. Or maybe I doubled up something but that was 2004,lol.
And I switched away from 15W40. .... 10W30 doesn't do it......... I use Wix........ top-tier Wix.

I'm thinking cup for bypass in backward or in to deep.

or valve stuck.

Last edited:
Stupid question, I realize, but are you 100% positive you do not have an old filter seal stuck to the filter adapter? I have seen people swear they did not and guess what? There one was. Just food for thought.

on a new build?
(then again, he mentioned reusing the oil pump, so perhaps his definition of "new" isnt the same as mine)

I add 4 more, but not as big as the original 4's diameter.

be sure to chamfer those holes (and the original ones) so the oil flows smoothly through it

what oil pressure does engine have? did you test it before firing engine? with a drill motor?

I have not seen where he posted the start up oil pressure? If the oil pump relief valve is stuck, it may be your problem. Ionce built a 289 that did this. It would blow the oil filter can off leaving the threaded base on the engine.

-
Back