Friend With A Ford....

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
My friend recently bought an 07 mustang convertible. Hes always wanted to get some kind of mustang convertible and finally got the car he wanted. I went over to his house to have a look and he even let me drive it. He told me to "get on it and see what ya think", so i said ok, then smashed the pedal down. It felt peppy for a v6, but the first thought into my head was "man, my 64 is gonna fly with that hemi in it". Im not one to start car brand wars, and i try never to step on anyones feelings, but this friend has openly said that he doenst like any of the cars Chrysler is making right now except maybe the new challenger, twice now. The last time he said it we were in his new mustang. I wanted to say "well you are one of the few who doesnt like em", because the 300, charger, and magnum, look way better then the ford 500 and are selling like hotcakes. But being the nice guy i am, i didnt say anything. His dad is a mopar guy at heart, but retired from a ford plant, so i guess my friend feels like he has to be a ford guy, not sure on that one.
Anyway yesterday he calls me asking me about performance upgrades for his 07 mustang convertible. With the mods he wanted, he figured he would be getting close to 300hp, which is the base horsepower for the v8 GT mustang. He couldnt afford the GT convertible, which is understandable, but he felt like he wanted to increase his v6s horsepower. Sometime in the conversation the cars weight got brought up and he said his mustang must weigh only a little over 2000lbs, i told him it weighed more like 3500lbs. Surprised he said "So your saying my car weighs more then your dart", and i said "Oh yes". I got this odd feeling after that that he may have been thinking his mustang was lighter, and with his mods, he would be able to stomp my little 64 dart convertible. I then told him newer cars outwiegh older cars by alot, because of various reasons, like suspension, safety stuff, and other things. He seemed surprised his car was so heavy, but then i told him my neon weigh about 2500lbs or more.
My 64 wont be on the road for years, but i think its funny my friend was secretly preparring for its awakening. I didnt have the heart to tell him he wouldnt be able to keep up with me even if he had a the GTs v8. I really wanted to tell him "dude youd have to buy a mustang gt500 to keep up with my little dart when its done", but instead i just talked about convertibles always being heavier then sadans, and kinda side step what i wanted to say. I think deep down he was dissapointed his car wouldnt be able to eat my car up without at least a supercharger.
All that aside, i told him i could help him with his cars easier mods, but that hed have to take it to a shop for the harder ones. After this we talked about how fun it will be when my cars done so we can go for some local road trips. A few years back i didnt think much of convertibles, but i fell in love with them the first time a drove one. Now i dream about the day mine is on the road. Who knows, maybe by then hell have a turbo on his v6.

He's definately dreaming at a little over 2000 pounds.

BUt for the most part, newer cars are lighter than older ones. The biggest factor in fuel consuption is weight. Therefore it is in the manufacturers interest to keep weight down.

Lots of aluminum and plastic.

Tell your friend to take his car to a scale. I'm sure it will be over 3000 pounds.

Ill bring my Motor Trend Magazines with me the next time i go over to his house. I think the new convertible mustang might actually tip the scales at 3600lbs. As far as new cars vs old car weight, i was refuring to the 4200lb new charger vs the 68-70 charger, the older charger is a little lighter. Same with the first gen mustang vs the new mustangs. Old 64 mustangs wieghed about 3000lbs, new ones, 3400-3500lbs. Setting my neon next to my dart, both cars look the same size (with the neon be shorter), but the neon does weigh less. But i think a fairer comparrision would be my dart and a dodge stratus. they are closer to the same size, weight, and roominess.

-
Back