Friends, lovers, Chevy cretins....Let's unf*ck a Six Pack

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
Just pretend for a moment that I don't know anything about metallurgy, engineering, or physics, and just tell me what the hell is going on with this Six-Pack.

The throttle linkage has been modified, there's a linky thing on the center carb and I have no idea what it goes to. I'm missing some carb bolts. If you can help me find some matching carb bolts, a financial transaction will likely take place. I do have the carb studs.

What do I need to make this thing 'right'? If I can re-use any of the factory kick-down or throttle linkage stuff from the '72 B-body 440 4-bbl it is replacing, great. Otherwise, it'll be a complete set as found on eBay or the FABO recommended vendor of choice. Can the throttle arms on the throttle shafts be used with one of the commonly available linkage kits, or has some dill-hole drilled these out for the hardware store screws and ruined them?

Goal: What would a '75 6-pack A-body car look like if the EPA had minded their business? So, to me, a 'later' 6-Barrel setup would be more correcter but I do NOT know anything about 6-packs, or correctness on legit street muscle, but I want it to look and act like the factory would have done
it. The car will get a roller cam, but it will be a grind very close to the original 6-pack grind.

The car is an automatic, and the donor motor is a '72 B-body Hi-Perf 440.

If you have an air cleaner you're willing to let go of cheap, I'm all ears. Since this is going in a '75, there's no real 'correct' here. Assume Mopar Parts Bin school of design.

Please teach me what all this and what it does, or direct me to a book that covers it. I've rebuilt a billion motorcycle carbs, I know how carbs work, but I don't play with Holleys much (always had Carters) and Six-packs are...scary. Any common factory-appearing mods are options too (Is four-corner idle a thing on these?).

Thanks in advance!!!!

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

Just maybe you could post a photo without the board on top.

tell me what the hell is going on with this Six-Pack.

If you have an air cleaner you're willing to let go of cheap

You cannot use the words six pack and cheap in the same conversation.

Nothing comes cheap when it’s a six pack

Air cleaner elements are 125 and up.

Usually the center carb is the only one with a metering block, and therefore the only one with idle mixture screws. “4 corner idle” would be a double pumper with 2 metering blocks and an idle air screw for each barrel. You have 2 barrels so 2 corner idle. Leave it the way it is and let the engine idle off the center carb.

The little linkage you put a “?” next to is a vapor vent for 71+ emissions reasons.
B83852EF-8A4C-43D8-90AF-2D3825F83662.png

Those carbs will at least need a thorough going through before you should use them. You're going to be challenged to do this 6 pak project on a tight budget, but with enough time and patience you should be able to do it. Many guys send their carbs off for a professional rebuild & testing.

Perhaps someone tried to make it a mechanical set up?

We need that stupid board out of the way.

The six pack learning is difficult, slow and expensive.

Rule #1 that mechanical linkage CLOSES the outboard carbs, NEVER run the car without the correct linkage in place and working,

the linkage you have is aftermarket, it looks like the carbs are not modified for this. Hope they dodnt drill the holes bigger. They can be welded shut and redrilled easy enough. You can buy the correct linkage.

Otherwise it looks pretty original, which is a plus.

That small linkage in question is for the bowl vent. Every factory six pack had this, two different types were used.

Last edited:
Look like factory for 1975? to who's eyes? that thing will never look factory mid 70's, no bowl vent hoses on each carb, not enough plastic and BS on it either.

way to cool looking for a 1975 facTory vibe!

image000000 (1).jpg

IMG_20240109_153150_01.jpg

Just maybe you could post a photo without the board on top.

We need that stupid board out of the way.

The six pack learning is difficult, slow and expensive.

Rule #1 that mechanical linkage CLOSES the outboard carbs, NEVER run the car without the correct linkage in place and working,

the linkage you have is aftermarket, it looks like the carbs are not modified for this. Hope they dodnt drill the holes bigger. They can be welded shut and redrilled easy enough. You can buy the correct linkage.

Otherwise it looks pretty original, which is a plus.

That small linkage in question is for the bowl vent. Every factory six pack had this, two different types were used.

Is the choke plate supposed to be flat, or bent? This one is bent, and has a wee dent on one end.

The center carb has a bowl vent only, no tube for emission venting.

I do have a spare aftermarket / fabricated air cleaner assembly with a K&N filter I will be selling but it wouldn't fit under a hood. It's more for a street rod or open engine compartment.

Actually the outboard carbs have idle mixture screws.
I just rebuilt 2 sets. One is a vacuum setup and the other is a mechanical set.

Call Allstate carburetors in NY. for kits / parts.
These guys are great help. Jim or Jarred.

Home Page - Allstate Carburetor

They will have the kits and are very knowledgeable.
True, if you pull out the lead plugs.

My old Mopar buddy that had raced, built motors, you name it....burned down his $400,000 home with what ya got there!!!
Wife was not happy. Be careful!

My old Mopar buddy that had raced, built motors, you name it....burned down his $400,000 home with what ya got there!!!
Wife was not happy. Be careful!
I just sent a center carb main body out to have the boosters replaced because they were melted.
Jarred at Allstate said it’s not uncommon.
So yes, be careful

I just sent a center carb main body out to have the boosters replaced because they were melted.
Jarred at Allstate said it’s not uncommon.
So yes, be careful
I had about a dozen sb and bb six pac cars decades ago, and I had a few carb fires myself, just didn't burn nothing down.. thankfully!!!
Like said NOTHING inexpensive about those six pac setups!!!!! Nothing yesterday and probably less likely today!

I made another mistake, the choke plate does have a slight angle bend to it.
It’s hard to show in a photo but it is angled some.

Darn , I met my quota for mistakes already for the week.

IMG_9507.jpeg

IMG_9508.jpeg

-
Back