Frikin Indians

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am part Cherokee Indian :D

We have some reservation property around the area that is kind of intertwined with non reservation land and of course the reservations have stores, gas stations and such that they control as far as revenue and taxation goes. (what taxation? they are exempt)

Well recently the reservation put a four lane through way from one non reservation highway across to another non reservation highway.
Get this, it is all 25mph speed limit. (a brand new devided four lane road that looks just like any freeway you might see)
The reservation cops sit and radar the vehicles on that road, and the tribe makes all the money from the fines. (also tax exempt)
Reservation cops, reservation levied fines, and a reservation court.
US or state law should apply, and I don't think it is fair to US citizens to be subject to non US or state controlled law withing the borders of our own country.

I won't drive on it for any reason.
Piss on em

I have to agree. There was a big flap up here that resulted in the NA having control over part of the lake, so now the residents ON the lake have to put up with not only Federal U.S, state, and county laws, but tribal regulations as well.

This IS the old "taxation without representation." You are subject to tribal law but you don't have any input into that system. You are only the subject or victim of it.

What jurisdiction to they have to do anything about it if you don't pay? So, say they stop you, give you a ticket, then you just never go on their roads or property ever again? Can they come after you? Do they work in conjunction with the county courts to hold you accountable to the fine? How does all that work?

It appears those Indians have been a problem since our first arrivals to this continent.
That is a joke by the way. struck me as funny. I don't normally comment on political subjects like this. But I just shot soda out my nose.
My grandmother said we have a little Cherokee in our family tree way back but I don't feel like an Indian. I do not live anywhere near or have ever been affected by the reservations or tribal laws but I suppose every community has its issues.
I suppose I should explain when I read the post the first thing that popped into my mind was a cartoon I used to like when I was a kid called go gophers. The gophers were a pair of Indians that created problems for the calvary that was trying to relocate or rehabilitate the pair of misfits. Probably not politicaly correct this day and age. But good for a laugh. Thanks for taking me back.

Living here in northeast Oklahoma, I still don't get most of the "native American" stuff. Most of my employees in the past 10 yrs have been part indian. Most often Cherokee. They are very quick to tell you they are a "native American", even though they have to pull out their card to prove it! Blond hair and blue eyes =indian? Three or four of them have been as high as 1/4 indian, one was 3/32nds, even more were 1/8th, and the last one was a card carrying 1/512th! His children are my kids friends and tell everyone they are "native". A whopping 1/1024th! When asked what his father was, the guy tells me he "doesn't know or care, not part of my tribe"!! One employee who actually looked native is 1/4 absentee Shawnee, his son is not a tribal member because that tribe doesn't recognize less than 1/4 as indian. My first experience at anything tribal was a job we did at a daycare center. All day we watched blond haired girls drop off and pick up blond haired kids. When questioned about the actual heritage of many of his tribal members, one local chief replied, "leave my people alone or I will grant them all fullblood status"!

It's screwed up. But not one hundredth as bad as the Indian ancestors suffered from ours. Yet again, two wrongs don't make their actions legit either. You should write the local news/paper and have signs placed before either side of the road that says Indian speed trap-no representation.

wow the title to this thread sure got my attention ....then I realized your talking about those other cats.

I still thinks its dumb you guys call your natives "Indians" and yet WE are Indians from India .....it makes more sense that Indians come from INDIA ....see there is a pattern there with the country name. LOL

I tell American Indians that they are "American Natives" because I am an INDIAN because im from INDIA.

my friend says the way to tell the difference is one is "feather Indians" and the other is "Dot Indians". LMAO

there are a lot of American Natives around here in southeastern Colorado but they don't pull the whole reservation thing here, they pretty much blend in and live like everybody else in regular neighborhoods and farms and are actually nice people.......the ones I know here anyway.

wow the title to this thread sure got my attention ....then I realized your talking about those other cats.

I still thinks its dumb you guys call your natives "Indians" and yet WE are Indians from India .....it makes more sense that Indians come from INDIA ....see there is a pattern there with the country name. LOL

I tell American Indians that they are "American Natives" because I am an INDIAN because im from INDIA.

But if we called them "Americans", then we would have to leave.....

Rani, I believe that native Americans are called Indians because the settlers who called them that actually thought they landed in India!! That's the country they were aiming for anyway!! Another gaff that has stuck way too long IMO!!

Ok then, what do we call people from Indiana?

Here's something to run the motorboat around the cesspool and stir up some stuff. Mexicans and south americans are mostly "indian" by heritage. Sorry ranidart, the feather kind.

Here's something to run the motorboat around the cesspool and stir up some stuff. Mexicans and south americans are mostly "indian" by heritage. Sorry ranidart, the feather kind.

Then there is the theory that the Native Ameircan Indians (feather type) originally came over on the Bearing Strait before it was seperated by water. So they originally came from Asia....

George Carlin had an old joke about that.

The government officials buy into the Bearing Strait theory and say, "Let's get those prisoners to fill in the Bearing Strait, and we'll charge the Indians a buck a head to go home...."

Hoosiers???...don't know why!!!.....

So I got Hoosiers (Indiana) to the east of me, Cheese Heads (Wisconsin) to the north of me...

What do we call the people from Iowa?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4"]Spaceballs: Surrounded by assholes - YouTube[/ame]

LOL!

Then there is the theory that the Native Ameircan Indians (feather type) originally came over on the Bearing Strait before it was seperated by water. So they originally came from Asia....

George Carlin had an old joke about that.

The government officials buy into the Bearing Strait theory and say, "Let's get those prisoners to fill in the Bearing Strait, and we'll charge the Indians a buck a head to go home...."
The fossil evidence indicates around 10,000 yrs. ago. The earliest would be Clovis people.

The title of this thread made me think of this great classic movie :happy1:

Attachments

• majorleaguemoviepic_crop_650x440.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 276
  • charlie_sheen_major_league.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 272
  • james-gammon-major-leaguejpg-8a2467460fa8fb0f_large.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 273
"I still thinks its dumb you guys call your natives "Indians" and yet WE are Indians from India .....it makes more sense that Indians come from INDIA ....see there is a pattern there with the country name."

It derives from the fact that America was 'discovered' looking for a shorter trade route to India. They thought they met Indians.

What's with this segregation verbiage of saying " you guys call YOUR natives..." I was under the impression that YOU are an American Rani.?.

I understand your 'Indian' (east) heritage, but WE are Americans. - A people from all heritages, to say 'preface-American' is to create segregation, where people begin to mutter racism. It is better to claim American, or not ( if you aren't) than to create division among the people.

"
What's with this segregation verbiage of saying " you guys call YOUR natives..."

bad wording ....sorry ......WE are all on this rock together. :D that is what's wrong with the world ...there is no US and THEM ....we are all people.

Indians

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wc9JvTXGc"]Major League (7/10) Movie CLIP - Just a Bit Outside (1989) HD - YouTube[/ame]

"I still thinks its dumb you guys call your natives "Indians" and yet WE are Indians from India .....it makes more sense that Indians come from INDIA ....see there is a pattern there with the country name."

It derives from the fact that America was 'discovered' looking for a shorter trade route to India. They thought they met Indians.

What's with this segregation verbiage of saying " you guys call YOUR natives..." I was under the impression that YOU are an American Rani.?.

I understand your 'Indian' (east) heritage, but WE are Americans. - A people from all heritages, to say 'preface-American' is to create segregation, where people begin to mutter racism. It is better to claim American, or not ( if you aren't) than to create division amount the people.
The root of much anti "foreigner" sentiment in America stems from immigrant groups forming a microcosm of their native ways within naturalized "American" society. Retaining languages, styles of dress, cooking and mannerisms that are foreign to the locals is never going to endear themselves to the general populace. Their failure to assimilate is almost an insult to many who came here and gave up their own heritage generations ago.

-
Back