Front brake hose routing wrong? 10" Drums

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
So I got all the new brake lines installed and bled, but ran into this issue when I turn the wheel. This is definitely a problem. I looked on Auto zone and O'reilley auto parts and the Duster calls for 11 3/4" length lines so are they routed wrong? I even went to inline tube and right stuff brakes and the also call for 11" length lines. Looks like it needs to be longer to me. The wheel is not even at a full turn either. Suggestions and thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 197
that looks a bit tight, I dont remember a rigid pipe coming off my wheel cylinder. my flex came from the frame anchorage directly into the cylinder opposite the bleed screw.

I can't answer you, but there is no way in 'ell that's acceptable.

My really poor diagram in the parts book shows 3461729, is indeed the length you got. But the diagram shows the hose comes "straight out" of the wheel cylinder, not out of a separate tube:

Download the 70/71 parts book thankx to AbodyJoe

[ame]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/1970-71MoparParts.pdf[/ame]

Attachments

• hose.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 174
slant cars had the steel line from the wc but i think it was 9 inch drums,that dont look right.

Yeah I do not know what is going on with this. It may not be the original setup for this car. I may just order some steel braided lines and add a couple inches.

slant cars had the steel line from the wc but i think it was 9 inch drums,that dont look right.

the pic that67dart273 posted is exactly what I was talking about, but thinking back mine were 9's I can't see any reason for 9 to be different from. 10's

I wonder if the bracket that the steel line from WC is in the wrong spot? I had the same set up once on a 69 Dart some 30 years ago just cant remember how it was together.Good luck

Interesting setup. You didn't say where you got the brake hose. Did the hoses shown in the 2 auto parts stores show the same fittings you have or did you just check the hose lengths? Both my 9" and 10" drum cars have hoses that go straight into the wheel cylinders, with a male fitting (inverted flare). Indeed, I think both use the same hose PN. I doubt they would have changed the drum design for 1971.

I might be wrong. I don't recognize some of the parts.
I think the clip on the backing plate is supposed to be ahead of the spindle routing the flexible line sort of diagonally through to the frame mounted clip
( like disc brakes ).

I might be wrong. I don't recognize some of the parts.
I think the clip on the backing plate is supposed to be ahead of the spindle routing the flexible line sort of diagonally through to the frame mounted clip
( like disc brakes ).

ya that's what i think also.:mrgreen:

Everything is routed correctly as far as the hard lines go. I think that the brackets may be bent from when I rebuilt them. Here is a pic of the originals when I removed them. Anyone have pics from their drum setup for reference?

Attachments

• 2011-11-22_18-28-44_829.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 2011-11-22_18-29-43_445.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 346
I give up. The first pic is so close I cant tell if I'm seeing left or right side, front or rear steer.

OK here are some better shots of the driver side. Let me know if you need better pics. I have been thinking about this and another option would be to extended the hose bracket from the frame a couple inches. I have some metal laying around here somewhere that I can fab up some longer brackets on each side and weld them in. I circled the area for you all that I am talking about extending outwards.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0390.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 356
Is the steering set up for rear steer ? I'm sorry but I still cant figure out whats what. Its for from looking right in my opinion.

Are you saying that the lines should be in the front vice the back? This was put together the same way it came apart...not saying it was right to begin with. Does anyone have any reference pics to help me out here. I will rip everything back apart if I need to in order to make it right.

What I think I see... red is stabilizer link so that is the front of the car. That's where the steering arm and the steel clip on the backing plate is supposed to be too.
As far as extending the bracket on the frame... What may look possible can often be impossible with a wheel and tire in place.
Or am I just totally lost ? Probably
Good luck though

Are you saying that the lines should be in the front vice the back? This was put together the same way it came apart...not saying it was right to begin with. Does anyone have any reference pics to help me out here. I will rip everything back apart if I need to in order to make it right.

It all looks correct to me. The steering linkages cross behind the k frame like they should.

What I think I see... red is stabilizer link so that is the front of the car. That's where the steering arm and the steel clip on the backing plate is supposed to be too.
As far as extending the bracket on the frame... What may look possible can often be impossible with a wheel and tire in place.
Or am I just totally lost ? Probably
Good luck though

Am I crazy? Maybe... Off to find some information....

-
Back