front drum brakes

-

LinconSr

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I replaced the front drums/brake shoes then repacked the wheel bearings on my '68 Dart 6cyl. and even with the adjustment set at its lowest point the brakes drag.

Enough where it takes allot of effort to turn the drums, they spins about 3/4 of a revolution then drag.

I'm assuming that they will need to settle and alittle drag is normal however it does not seem correct.

Any help is much appreciated.

Sometimes the rubber lines develop internal blockages which do not allow the fluid to drain off after they are pressurized, resulting in the brakes continuing to be partially applied after you take your foot off the pedal. If they seem old and brittle you might want to replace them.

Besides the outside of the brake hoses looking brittle they might look perfect and be collapsing/breaking down on the inside. If that is happening the fluid may not be able to release entirely from the wheel cylinder.

Sometimes new drums and shoes will drag a bit; you can take some abrasive to the shoes. In the old days, brake shops had 'arcing' machines used to 'thin down' the brake shoe material with exactly the same radius (arc) as the drums. The shoes often came slightly oversized to allow for this. Nowadays, no one arcs shoes (that I know of) but the issue is the same. Yours don't sound to be draggin too awfully bad....

As above, absolutely replace older rubber lines; the headaches they cause are bad news.

Sounds like the drums might need to be turned a little, maybe a bit of warpage. Does it vibrate slightly when braking?

if fluid pressure from a bad hose is causing the drag, loosen the bleeder will prove it.
There have been a few times when I needed to make a small radius on he outer edge of the linings. They were dragging in the bottom of the drum.

I've seen this happen. Try driving a few miles, making several stops, the last few some hard ones to seat the shoes to the drums. That may clear things up completely.

Many replacement shoes are oversize. If you can determine for certain that the adjusters are actually all the way retracted, and that the cylinders are relieved of pressure, you'll either have to turn the drums a bit more, or have the shoes "arced." "Shoe arcing machine." Good luck finding one, or even someone who knows what they are, LOL

Ammco_890_Brake_Shoe_Grinder_Stock_401_p1_w500.JPG

Many replacement shoes are oversize. If you can determine for certain that the adjusters are actually all the way retracted, and that the cylinders are relieved of pressure, you'll either have to turn the drums a bit more, or have the shoes "arced." "Shoe arcing machine." Good luck finding one, or even someone who knows what they are, LOL

Wouldn't it be easier to put them on a drum "stretcher"?

They have them at Harbor Freight next to the muffler bearing presses....

When you spin them and they stop can you move it the rest of the way around by hand?

If so I would just go ahead and drive it

Sounds like the drums might need to be turned a little, maybe a bit of warpage. Does it vibrate slightly when braking?

if fluid pressure from a bad hose is causing the drag, loosen the bleeder will prove it.
There have been a few times when I needed to make a small radius on he outer edge of the linings. They were dragging in the bottom of the drum.

I've seen this happen. Try driving a few miles, making several stops, the last few some hard ones to seat the shoes to the drums. That may clear things up completely.

Wouldn't it be easier to put them on a drum "stretcher"?

They have them at Harbor Freight next to the muffler bearing presses....

When you spin them and they stop can you move it the rest of the way around by hand?

If so I would just go ahead and drive it

Hmmm, I bet he has figured it out since this was posted 6 weeks ago.

-
Back