Front end rebuild, any particular sequence to torque down bushings and ends?

-

LS1 ACE

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Even though I lurk around the forums often enough, I rarely post on here. However, I need some help so perhaps you folks can help me....

The car in question is a 69 Plymouth with a 73' k member. When I bought the car, it came complete with new bushings for the front end. All parts were addressed short of the pitman arm and idler arm bushings. I will be replacing those with moog pieces, hopefully they do the trick. My question is, is there a certain sequence necessary to torque down the bushings? For instance, should i do the sway bar first? Or the lca's? Or the strut rod ends? I'm just a bit lost as to whether there is a method or if it even matters at all. Thanks in advance for any information.

Marvin

The main thing is to keep the control arm bushings a bit loose, until you get weight on the front and adjust the front height, then torque them. If you tighten when up in the air, you could shear the rubber later. Of course, the UCA bushings will be re-tightened when the alignment is set.

Yep, tighten all the control arm bushings with weight on wheels. All the ball joint and tie rod end nuts can be tightened at any time.

Thank you both for your input, time to finish up this front suspension and drop the motor in. Thanks!

-
Back