Front end rebuild question

-

JohnnyJet

Reaction score
I want to tighten up the front end on my Duster. Can you reccomend what the best kit is for this. ive see a couple of different ones and dont know which to get. Quality is #1 factor

I bought a kit from PST 2 years ago, and did the install myself. Not sure if American made parts, but all parts fit correctly with out any problems. I believe it was the Super front end kit, cost was just under $400 bucks. Drives like a dream now!

I want to tighten up the front end on my Duster. Can you reccomend what the best kit is for this. ive see a couple of different ones and dont know which to get. Quality is #1 factor

You said quality is #1 so here's my 2 cents. I don't like "kits". They cut corners so that they can offer an attractive price. Moog makes the best in suspension parts. If it were me (and it soon will be) I would just piece together ball joints and bushings from moog,that is unless you want urethane bushings. They ride harsh for me. Then look at Addco for sway bars and the like. That's who Larry Shepard recommends in the Mopar suspension book. I use his name a lot.....well, cause he knows his stuff. That's my opinion. I'm sure others will vary.

I would not assume that PST does not use Moog parts - I would PM them and ask. Same for any other kits.

I think I have made all the mistakes you can make in this area, and used to sell for a warehouse distributor, that had Moog, and another that sold Perfect Circle/Dana/Victor. Lots of re-boxing going on in that industry.

Since that time, I have bought PST kits twice, once for the Road Runner, and once for my Barracuda. I won't do it again, but it was really easy.

For Dad's 65, the most recent one, I bought the complete front kit from "ESPO Springs and things" along with the new torsion bars, and rear leaf springs.

The front end parts were all "McQuay-Norris" an old name in the business, that made the stuff just like original. I liked it, and love doing business with those people at Espo.

Hope this helps some.

i like the moog stuff too. as i.ve had it on mine for 20years and no dri rot or cracking. my neibor larry shepard or the guy from the mag.ya we reboxed trw stuff to moog then the parts place sold it for moog at moog priceing then show a hell of a porfit and sold the company.

I would not assume that PST does not use Moog parts - I would PM them and ask. Same for any other kits.

I wasn't really assuming anything about any company. I just know Moog parts are Moog parts. PST may well use Moog stuff I don't know. I DO know Moog uses Moog parts. lol

If you're still on the original bushings and ball joints, just about anything you're going to do will "tighten it up". I've used PST twice and can recommend either polygraphite or rubber kits. I don't know where their ball joints come from.

The rubber bushings should last as long as the OEM stuff. It will give a softer ride and transmit less vibration through the steering wheel. The polygraphite will give more consistent steering response. One of the jobs I did, I used polyurethane everywhere except the LCA bushing and the large rear spring bushing where I used rubber. It was a pretty decent compromise. My conclusion from the jobs is that if the car is going to be a cruiser use rubber, if you expect to do some white-knuckle canyon carving, use a poly bushing.

Not knowing where fasteners come from, I tend to either re-use or buy my own from a known source. I've seen and had problems with Chinese sourced fasteners. Some of the big names in the business are bringing in bushings from Mexico and India. I haven't had problems with them. When I've shopped for ball joints separately, it has just worked out they were made in USA pieces.

I wasn't really assuming anything about any company. I just know Moog parts are Moog parts. PST may well use Moog stuff I don't know. I DO know Moog uses Moog parts. lol

Hmmm ... maybe not if the other couple last posts are right?

I pieced most of the suspension together for you at rock auto. These are all Moog part numbers.

Idler Arm
PN: K7086 $35.79

Pitman Arm
PN:K7075 $49.79

Inner Tie Rod End
PN:ES401L $14.01 x 2 = $28.02

Outer Tie Rod End
PN:ES401R $14.01 x 2 = $28.02

Upper Ball Joint
PN:K772 $16.25 x 2 = $32.50

Lower Ball Joint RIGHT
PN:K781 $40.79

Lower Ball Joint LEFT
PN:K783 $40.79

Lower Control Arm Bushing (Rubber) Recommended over Polyurethane
PN:K791 $10.92 x 2 = $21.84

Upper Control Arm Bushing Kit (Rubber) You Could get these in Polyurethane from PST/Just Suspension
PN:K408 $26.79

Just for these bushings you're at $307.33

KYB Front Shocks
PN:KG4509 $35.89 x 2 = $71.78

KYB Rear Shocks
PN:KG5511 $39.79 x 2 = $79.58

The total for these shocks is $151.36. PST sells these same ones for $159

For the bushings and shocks at rock auto it is $457.33 to your door...(with the 5% discount included)

Now I noticed PST is a little cheaper in price for a full complete kit, but I don't know the brand they use.
I posted this info just for reference, and how to piece together a kit. I'm not saying buy from rock auto...:)

I would recommend getting poly strut rod bushings from either PST or Just Suspension, and maybe a set of Just Suspension 1.0" torsion bars available off of their Ebay store for $199.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Contact Dave at Hellwig, and get a Hellwig sway bar...

Lots of great info in here. We've been in the Front End Kit business since 1984 and sell a ton of kits for these cars. Over the years, we've revised and revised our kits to make them the most complete and reliable on the market. All of our PST parts are backed by a Lifetime Warranty against manufacturer's defects. One more thing...we ship to the 48 US States for free!

There's a lot of talk here about Moog, TRW, McQuay-Norris, etc, and "American" manufacturing. Please keep in mind that just because these manufacturers are based in the US, it doesn't mean the parts are made here! We do use parts from some of these companies and we do source many of the parts ourselves with our own design improvements.

Whatever brand you decide to go with, good luck and happy motoring. PST will be here to support the FABO forum and we appreciate the business from all the members who have ordered!

I have never heard anything bad about PST equipment. Any promotional sales coming up soon?

I have had the polygraphite super front end kit in my 71 dart for 2 years I'm very happy with the way the car drives and kyb shocks.

I bought a Poly graphite kit, for my 68 Hemi Road Runner in 2000 from PST and loved the feel. Everything was perfect.

I then tried to buy another one, for the 68 Barracuda in 2003/4. The guy told me they didn't sell poly anymore, and kind of gave me an attitude. So, I bought what he had.

Part of his problem at the time, I had converted to later model Duster discs, and wanted the bigger ball joints. The idler arm was not correct, when I was ready to install it, and I ended up with some strut rod bushings that didn't work, and picked some up from a local parts store, because I was ready for them.

Maybe I just caught them on a bad day, spending about $400, but it did make me go somewhere else the next time. If and when I do this again, I will give them another shot, since they are a sponsor of this site.

I called PST last week and was trying to get a kit for a 68 Dart with 74 spindles and Disc brakes. Tried to ask the guy a few questions since I was piecing this together and he had a real attitude. gave me a couple of short answers so I hung up on him. If he doesn't have time for me, I won't buy parts from PST. I can buy them other places.

Holy cow have prices gone up. I just priced out Moog parts and the kyb shocks on Rock auto, the total came to $895.61 before any discount or shipping.

Mopardude318's list of hard parts is good but do NOT use rubber. Polyurethane doesn't squish or deteriorate like rubber and gives firm handling. If you don't like a firm ride, don't drive a Dodge. Also changing the lower control arm pivot shaft bushing with the Energy Suspension part is a piece of cake. Be sure to use the Moog A Body strut rod kit and set the caster as close to 3 degrees positive as possible especially if going with power steering and the large factory steering wheel. Good luck from an old guy who has worked on A Bodies from the beginning, 1960 to the end, 1976.

I recently priced out Moog at Rockfords. Very expensive compared to PST..and quite frankly , not very friendly....I asked them about sway bars and buddy told me that I had to look it up on their site..I told them I did but maybe I was searching incorrectly..buddy told me he had no idea and if I couldn't find it then they probably didn't have it..Blind leading the blind.

My biggest bleat..this free shipping to the lower 48....I have no problems with this but when some Canadian or out of country dude buys..the shipping cost should be from the end of the states to our home..when to buy 200 bucks of speakers stuff from a company in Florida..free shipping to the lower US..cost to me ? More that what I was buying.. kinda sounds like we are subsidizing the free shipping to the lower 48..

OK, off box..

Grassy

I recently priced out Moog at Rockfords. Very expensive compared to PST..and quite frankly , not very friendly....I asked them about sway bars and buddy told me that I had to look it up on their site..I told them I did but maybe I was searching incorrectly..buddy told me he had no idea and if I couldn't find it then they probably didn't have it..Blind leading the blind.

My biggest bleat..this free shipping to the lower 48....I have no problems with this but when some Canadian or out of country dude buys..the shipping cost should be from the end of the states to our home..when to buy 200 bucks of speakers stuff from a company in Florida..free shipping to the lower US..cost to me ? More that what I was buying.. kinda sounds like we are subsidizing the free shipping to the lower 48..

OK, off box..

Grassy

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in PST! Are you saying that Rockford's was not friendly, or PST? Just wanted to confirm. If there is a specific product you're looking for, give us a call. If you find that the salesman can't help you, you can always ask to speak with the manager.

USPS discontinued Ground service to Canada some years back. The least expensive service available is Priority Mail International, which is quite a bit more expensive than the UPS or FedEx Ground service that we use to ship packages to the lower 48 US States. That is why we only offer shipping to the continental US.

You can visit this link to confirm:

http://ircalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?country=10054&m=6&p=20&o=0

Rockfords. However, it is difficult to converse with PST via e-mail. My last question re shipping costs went unanswered. It was a simple one..this is what I want to buy..what is the shipping cost ? My philosophy is if the company doesn't want to respond via e-mail it should not have one posted.

OK . What is the shipping method that you recommend for Canada that is the overall least expensive?I am concerned with the brokerage houses that the courier companies use for shipping cross border.I have been told that ground is better than air with these companies.....and will PST give the Canadian customers a break in shipping on large orders ?

PS - I have pm'ed you.

Ian.

Rockfords. However, it is difficult to converse with PST via e-mail. My last question re shipping costs went unanswered. It was a simple one..this is what I want to buy..what is the shipping cost ? My philosophy is if the company doesn't want to respond via e-mail it should not have one posted.

OK . What is the shipping method that you recommend for Canada that is the overall least expensive?I am concerned with the brokerage houses that the courier companies use for shipping cross border.I have been told that ground is better than air with these companies.....and will PST give the Canadian customers a break in shipping on large orders ?

PS - I have pm'ed you.

Ian.

Ian,

PM sent.

-
Back