Front End Swap Opinions

-

Cruzin

Reaction score
Well... I wanted to see what the 73 to 72 conversion would look like on the front of the 73. I am not for sure if I really like it or not, now that it's done.
I know it makes it not 100% original anymore. But I can swap it out in an hour or so.
Any thoughts??
If your going to criticize, please don't. I realize there are purists on the site and I respect your values, so be kind enough to respect mine. Just lookin for some opinions. Of course the hood would be satin black in the end.If your thinking about converting a later model duster to an earlier model, there "is" some work to be done to make it fit and look right.

Attachments

• conversion%201.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 354
  • original 73 pic.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 370
Well... I wanted to see what the 73 to 72 conversion would look like on the front of the 73. I am not for sure if I really like it or not, now that it's done. I know it makes it not 100% original anymore. But I can swap it out in an hour or so. Any thoughts?? If your going to criticize, please don't. I realize there are purists on the site and I respect your values, so be kind enough to respect mine. Just lookin for some opinions. Of course the hood would be satin black in the end.If your thinking about converting a later model duster to an earlier model, there "is" some work to be done to make it fit and look right.

I like the looks of 1970-72 duster front ends a lot. But in my opinion.. There are to many conversions done and just a opinion not to criticize I would like to see more of the 1973-76 duster left like they are... But that front end is good looking

I like the looks of 1970-72 duster front ends a lot. But in my opinion.. There are to many conversions done and just a opinion not to criticize I would like to see more of the 1973-76 duster left like they are... But that front end is good looking

This, it's played out. Oh hey, I've got an idea, convert an older model to the later one, or cross models..... Crickets.. ....

Good work.

I like it either way.
My opinion is that if you are going to stay with the '72 front end, paint the hood body color instead of black.
And also change the tail light panel to get the full effect.
IMHO, i would have left it alone the way it was.
That's probably because i'm lazy.......lol
Good looking car there, BTW. I really like the color.
Tom.

I really just did it to see whether I would actually like it or not. I realize it's nothing new and others have done it before. I actually think (now that I have had the car a bit) the 73 has grown on me. Not to mention, I really did not want to replace the original tail panel. I'll probably convert it back in a few weeks. All the original parts are in the spare room in the house. No big deal to swap it back at all. Just gonna tuck the 73 bumper in closer to the body a bit I think.
Well, I'll put all the 72 stuff in the "For Sale" area.
Thanks all for the opinions.
a9568b3f-9e5b-4f54-9f2c-1ee37bcb92f8.jpg

72 front looks a lot better in my opinion.. now ya have to change the tail light panel to make it really work.

there is a reason that the swap is done so often.

IMO the 73 + bumpers are way to big I changed my 74 Scamp over to a 69 Valiant front and 71 Dart rear

Attachments

• DSCF0204.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 274
I like it a lot, but I'm not a fan of the "beak" on the later models... Either way, it's your car, run it how you want, I know there is plenty of stuff on my car others may not like... There's even a few things I wouldn't do again...

Joe

personally, the "beak" hoods or anything else on the 73-6 dusters does not bother me. I've had several 70-2 and 73-6 dusters, dart sports, and 2 demons, I like them all.

the main think I dislike about the 73-6 dusters are the tiny inside door handles and the cheap plastic upper door trim. don't like the cardboard headliner either. but I've never had any model that I would not have changed something in the design if I gad been one of the designers!!! LOL

I say, make it like you want. if you decide to sell, the next guy can do it to suit himself!!!!!

IMO the 70-72 has a cleaner look. Smooth bumpers really give the Duster a classy appeal. The 73-76 front looks great too! The thing is, we like Dusters! Any year has its own special looks.

I like it! Do the hood in matte black and drive the crap out of it. I wouldn't even worry about the tail lights.

But I've committed a double sin, not only did I convert my Duster to an earlier year I changed makes as well, putting a '71 Dodge Demon front end on it. I did change the tail panel as well. Not that hard, but not a lot of fun either. And of course since I made my '74 /6 Duster into a 340/4-speed car, people start using that "clone" word. It'll get really ugly when I switch to the earlier doors with the metal tops. Truly, its a "tribute", not a clone, since I have no real intention of making it correct for any year.

It's your car, so do what you want. I like the earlier cars better, and given that generally they're worth more I would guess that most people agree. And before you say its strictly a production #'s thing, they made fewer 1974 Challengers (11,354) than they did 1970 Challenger R/T's (13,796). In fact, they made almost 3x more Challengers in 1970 (76,935) than they did in any other year, next highest being 1973 (27,930). But which ones are worth more? Why do I have a '71 front clip for my '72 Challenger?

Here are a couple pictures I found for you, one with a gloss black hood and one with a body color hood and scoops. The scoops really make the earlier body style :D

Attachments

• 000_0218 copy.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 9392825212_4ef18a4f70_o copy.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 245
Well i love the 72 front end, so glad you decided to go back to the 73 tho. Cuz now those parts are going on my 73 swinger. Thanks pat!

I'm not a fan of the 72 and prior Duster front ends compared to the 73. The 73 to me just looks tougher. I don't know why, but it always has.

And regarding them being beak cars, put them next to a 73 and up Dart and you'll see real quick which is the beak car. It ain't the Duster.

I'm not a fan of the 72 and prior Duster front ends compared to the 73. The 73 to me just looks tougher. I don't know why, but it always has.

And regarding them being beak cars, put them next to a 73 and up Dart and you'll see real quick which is the beak car. It ain't the Duster.

I'll disagree with the first statement, because I always owned earlier Dusters, but agree with you on the second. The 73 and up Darts are the true "beak" cars.

My car is a mishmash of parts from all different years, I say go for what you like and not worry about what others think. Life's too short.

I like and if you like live with it. I changed so much on my 67 I made my own fender tag. Says "the way I want it"

-
Back